Cardio for Damaged Legs?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've tried searching online for this topic, but can't find anything, so I thought I'd ask you all. Several years ago I was on an antibiotic (ciproflaxin) that had the amazing side effect of basically dissolving the tendons in my legs. I could barely walk or even stand, and I used to fall down a lot. I used to be very active - I would run every day - and I would keep off the weight that way, but because of my injury I can no longer do that. I waited a few years and tried running again, only to re-pull what is left of my tendons.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cardio or effective weight-loss exercise that is damaged-leg friendly? Your help would be much appreciated. I don't have any room in my budget for a gym, but I can work out at home/outside.

Thanks!
Kim

Replies

• horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    walking, swimming, and yoga.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Swimming?

Sorry, that's all I've got =/
  • MisterYoYo
    Options
    Swim!!! Excellent no-impact cardio...
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I am coming off Knee and ankle surgery.
    Swimming is at the top of the list.
    If you cannot do that, a rowing machine is an excellent alternitive.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Definitely try water jogging!!! My injuries have been nothing compared to yours, but getting in the pool helped a lot and at times was the only way I could exercise. They even have little arm rings (not swimmies!) that you can wear if you need to. I don't have to but it does help with balance when I'm 'running' hard. I still do this on my cross training days. I just go to the local ywca. I've also done water aerobics but found it to be more difficult with leg injuries. Try the water jogging and let me know if it works for you!
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Bicycling! Totally impact free unless you crash.
  • Seeds45
    Seeds45 Posts: 90
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your reaction to the meds. I was on this also and my feet were on fire. I felt like I was walking on hot coals. Got off it quickly before anything permanent happened.
    Several years ago, 1987, I fell. It turned out I had something called AVN. What it did was to turn my right knee to jelly. After several operations I had a fake knee put in. This was not a good thing. It never worked well and it hurts all the time. I started, slowly, walking on the treadmill. This way I could control the speed and incline. It was slow and steady. Now I am walking over 2 hours a day. Slow and with a very slight incline, but I am doing it. So I am now to a point that I miss it when I take a day off and am sad if I am away for more. It has lifted my mood and made me feel better, except for the pain, which is made a bit worse by all the walking. There are ways to control this at least.
    I don't understand how they can push these medicines that are wrecking peoples lives. And they don't even care, as long as they are making money.
    Be strong and start slow. Before long you may benefit from the exercise. Don't start off running, walking has the same benefits over time. I will never run again, but I do enjoy my walking and hopefully so will you.
  • sexybrokelibrarian
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone! I appreciate it. Your responses made me laugh and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who has this kind of problem. I wish I could respond to all of you separately!
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Try googling "chair aerobics", when I hurt my knee last year, I got some great ideas to burn calories there. Boxing is great for cardio, too.

Good luck!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    You can get exercise cycles made for use with hands.

However, I'd definitely be tempted to go for swimming, which allows you to hopefully strengthen your legs a bit at a time.

Cycling also, but you may have to force your self not to push too much.

Is there places you can cycle for daily transport?
    It's now my main form of daily transport - so I'm generally not going all out, but do get to burn some extra calories while getting from A to B and especially as I can leave the bike straight outside where I'm going, it often doesn't take much longer - sometimes quicker to cycle than to take a car.