Newly mom struggling with weight

Hi everyone
Pardon my poor english, i'm french :)
I've gave birth to a wonderfull baby girl last july and have been struggling to lose my baby weight since.
Recently, i was so desperate that i've gone ten days with 600 calories a day. I realise i'm hurting myself. I want to go back to a healthy diet (1200 - 1400 cals) with cardio and weight lifting but i don't know where to start.
How do i eat?
How to lift weight?
How many hours of cardio per week?
I'm 27 and weight 73 kilos and i'm 170cm tall
Before my pregnancy i was 63 kilos and i was 80 kilos heavier by the delivery time.

Please help!

Replies

• lisy_87
    lisy_87 Posts: 7 Member
    Nobody to help?
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 526 Member
    Awww! Be gentle with yourself! Having a baby is hard work and then caring for the baby once born is hard work. Start small. I like to spend a day and put together a bunch of big meals and then store them in the freezer so I can take them out as I need them and I don't have to worry every night about what to do for dinner (and I use the left overs for lunch!).

Exercise: start taking your baby for walks. Take her to the park and push her around in the stroller. You can do sit ups, push ups, squats, lunges.

Start with small changes and keep making more and more small changes.

:heart:
  • lisy_87
    Thank you for the answer :) i forgot to say i restarted working last october, i start at 9am and i get home late in the evening like 8 pm or mire. I try to go to the gym 3 times a week and do yoga streches after. I just want to know if i'm doing it right ...
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 526 Member
    Thank you for the answer :) i forgot to say i restarted working last october, i start at 9am and i get home late in the evening like 8 pm or mire. I try to go to the gym 3 times a week and do yoga streches after. I just want to know if i'm doing it right ...

That is great that you have been going to the gym three times a week!! As a new mom - that can be very hard to do.

Are you tracking what you eat? Eating plenty of lean meat (chicken, fish, etc.), veggies, etc.?
  • lisy_87
    Yes, but i've been on again of again these weeks.

I try to log everything i eat and to eat 130g of proteins per day but it's very hard.
  • princessnuriko
    princessnuriko Posts: 50 Member
    Maybe working out at home might be a better option for you. I'm a single mom of a 4 year old and I used to work out at the gym, but now I do Turbo Fire and to a bunch of other workout DVDs. It fits into my schedule and I don't have to go out of my way to go to a gym. I work out 6 to 7 days a week. Takes longer to burn the same amount of calories than I would have if I worked out in a gym, but I find it more fun because I'm not on a treadmill, so I don't mind the longer workouts. I count the calories I burn with a Polar FT4 HRM and put into MFP. I'm on a 1200 calorie diet for NET calories, but I probably eat about 1600 to 1700 calories per day with at weightloss of 1 pound a week. I eat about 130g protein, maybe 160 to 200 grams of carbs per day. Note: Turbo fire is my base workout. I do it because it's on the Turbo Fire schedule, but I always follow it up with another workout. So I workout between 75 and 90 minutes a day.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Remember, it's a work in progress. You don't have to build Rome in a day. Just start making small modifications and keep building on them. If you focus on the protein, the carbs/fats will take care of themselves.

At first, if you have to choose between eating better and going to the gym, then eating better should be the focus.

Also be sure to drink plenty of water.

A pedometer would be a good investment. Personally, I like the Fitbit One. Most doctors will tell you to strive for 10,000 steps a day. When I first started wearing it, I was lucky to get in 800 steps a day, and now can usually do 2000-3000 pretty easily. You're looking to make improvements along the way.

Good luck!
  • lisy_87
    Hello
    Thank you for your feedback which is very inspiring. I think i should work out a bit more at home because for now i mainly go to the gym to exercise. Maybe doing both can help me feel better :). I'll try not overdoing it though.
    I have a podometer (a cheap one not fitbit which i dream of - maybe a gift for my next weigh goal?) and use to walk 8000 step a day .
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Hi everyone
    Pardon my poor english, i'm french :)
    I've gave birth to a wonderfull baby girl last july and have been struggling to lose my baby weight since.
    Recently, i was so desperate that i've gone ten days with 600 calories a day. I realise i'm hurting myself. I want to go back to a healthy diet (1200 - 1400 cals) with cardio and weight lifting but i don't know where to start.
    How do i eat?
    How to lift weight?
    How many hours of cardio per week?
    I'm 27 and weight 73 kilos and i'm 170cm tall
    Before my pregnancy i was 63 kilos and i was 80 kilos heavier by the delivery time.

Please help!

Figure out your BMR & TDEE - eat in between those numbers.
    Lifting - There's a book called New Rules of Lifting for Women. Or a program called Stronglifts 5x5
  • foxlme
    foxlme Posts: 57 Member
    Bonjour et bienvenue à la maternité! I had my second son a bit before you in May. The weight will come back off, but you have to make sure you keep your body fueled. You need way more than 600 calories a day to keep up with the kid, ha! Good luck. :)
  • lisy_87
    Thx for the advice!
    My TDEE is 1956 and my BMR is 1630
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Thx for the advice!
    My TDEE is 1956 and my BMR is 1630

How much are you trying to lose? 30?

With 30 lbs to lose, set your goal to lose 1 lb a week. I know we all want 2 lbs a week, but it's not realistic the closer we get.

If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

I calculated your TDEE-10% to be 1757.

Do you own a food scale?
  • lisy_87
    yes i have one. and i weigh everything i eat (or almost everything :))