Weak Arms

Options
I recently started going to the gym (1 1/2 months now). I did not realize how weak my arms are until now. It's very difficult to do straight up are raises on the machine even at 10 pounds. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how long did it take to build up arm muscles?
I feel like they are never going to build up. I'm trying not to get discouraged.

Replies

• Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Just keep working at them mate, and they will get better. If there way behind other areas just put more time into them.
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! Mine are feeble too :ohwell:

But I've been lifting increasingly heavy weights over the past couple of months, and they are definitely improving! Keep at it, and you will get stronger, :smile:
  • yafashelli
    yafashelli Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have weak arms too, but they say the key is to never give up! :)
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Also, to never be a Tyrannosaurus Rex.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I have weak everything don't worry hun, just keep at it :happy:
  • Kentuckygirl61
    Kentuckygirl61 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have weak bi-ceps, I think is where it is they call it. lol The upper part, anyway I was injured driving over the road and did not realize just how flabby I am there. any suggestions for a shoulder injury and trying to get some flab strengthened? What kind of exercise?
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    A lot of women think they have weak "arms" but they really just mean that they have a weak upper body as a whole. If your goal is to build up some strength then the first thing you need to do is venture out of the machines and into the weight area. It would be best to hop on a solid beginners program like starting strength, madcow's beginner program or stronglifts 5x5 but if you're not ready for that then just do something like this on your upper body days:

Bench Press: 5 sets of 5 reps, increase weight on every set until you get a good, heavy set in
    Barbell Row: 5 sets of 5 reps, increase weight on every set until you get a good, heavy set in
    Overhead Press: 5 sets of 5 reps, increase weight on every set until you get a good, heavy set in
    Lat Pulldowns or Assisted Chin Ups: 5 sets of 5 reps, increase weight on every set until you get a good, heavy set in

This isn't really a specific program or anything, it's just an idea for you to get started with.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Just keep gradually increasing. I had a shoulder injury at age 55 and had to stop doing arm exercsises for a while. When I started back, I started with 3 pound weights. I gradually built back up. Slow and steady and keep working at it!
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was the exact same way when I first started out in the gym. Don't be afraid to venture out into the weight rooms, that's where the magic happens!

What I found that helped me was watching videos on youtube on how to use certain machines and then how to use dumbbells and barbells in the gym with proper form. I've found using free weights over machines gives me a much better workout and I've seen a lot more changes in my body from free weights and body weight exercises than I ever did with machines.

Just gradually increase your weights every week, even if it's for just one set of that particular exercise. Track your weights used and the # of sets and repetitions. Also try push up variations (start with wall, never with bent knee)! Push ups are an amazing way of building strength, not only in your arms but your abs and shoulders too. Give it at least 6 weeks of consistent work.

Nia Shanks has a few really great programs and a wonderful approach to fitness. I've heard a lot of good things about New Rules of Lifting For Women (NROLFW) and Stronglifts 5x5.
  • Lnature71
    Lnature71 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions and replies. I will definitely put them to practice. I think I will add hand weights to my evening activities along with continuing my morning gym routine.
    I really do appreciate all the responses and am so greatly for this community!
  • yafashelli
    yafashelli Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Also, to never be a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

That's my middle name! hahaha! :laugh: :tongue:
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Here are some tips that have helped me. I am a senior citizen and had a shoulder injury. Some of these tips I learned from talks at the senior center. Start with very light weights---don't over do. Stay at that weight until you can do several sets of 15 reps at that weight.. Then increase the weight slightly. For example, move from 10 pounds to 15 pounds setting; NOT 10 pounds to 30 pounds. After my shoulder injury, I started back with 3 pound weights on a dumbbell curl. Now I am up to 12 pounds. On the one arm row, I started with 3 pounds and now I am up to 25 pounds.

The other thing to work on is core strength because that will affect how you lift....having good posture when you lift and keeping your abs tight is important. I didn't know that before but as I lifted heavier weights, I learned that.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! You'll break down before you build up! Just be consistent and be patient.