Newbie who needs to take her fat and make it muscle

Options
I don't need to lose weight but build muscle. I am out of shape with flabby arms and belly. Anybody else have that problem? Would love to make some new friends on here so we can build off each other :)

Replies

• wiifitwoman
    Options
    same boat :) a support group is always helpful!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I'd encourage you to read the fitness threads and join some of the fitness challenge groups. You will find like-minded folks with similar goals.
  • bethaustin6
    bethaustin6 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great! Thank you for the info. I will do just that.
  • N528
    N528 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey Beth, everybody wants to be toned, right? I've done a few programs that helped me build some muscle, but depending on if you are looking to mix cardio in with it or not, I'm not sure. I've done programs that focus on both, so I can tell you more about each if you want. You can add me on Facebook, too just because I'm on there more than MFP lately but my FB is www.Facebook.com/Ngozi.Erina :)
  • bethaustin6
    Options
    So if I to get rid of flab and build muscle like a bodybuilder do I skip the cardio or do cardio and strength training. Or do I do cardio to lose the flab and then concentrate on strength training. Why is this so hard to understand :)
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    If you are at your goal weight already, you should do more strength training. Maybe something like 75/25. Strength training will burn plenty of calories, so you may have to increase your daily intake.

I have lost 60 pounds in the last 8 months and getting near my goal weight. I'm slowly starting to increase my strength training. My old bones make sure I take baby steps.
  • bethaustin6
    Options
    Ok thank you for the information. Sounds like you are on the right track ! Are you taking any supplements?
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Find a good program that fits what you are looking to do.. As for supplements if you are just starting they are not necessary just make sure you are eating good whole some food that fit your nutritional requirements.

Be consistent and patient..
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you for the information. Sounds like you are on the right track ! Are you taking any supplements?

I just bought some whey protein. Most days I don't eat a lot of meat and I was having trouble meeting my protein goals. I used a 1/4 scoop this morning, just to see how it tasted. But I only lift two days a week, so I will most likely just use it on those days. Other than that, I just take the usual vitamins.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
  • bethaustin6
    Options
    Thank you for the advice!