healthy crockpot meals?

Options
what are some healthy crockpot dinner ideas?

Replies

• mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Try google too
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Stewing steak, lots of veges tinned tomatoes, chillies, peppers, onions, if you like it spicy, Add lentils to thicken...yummy
  • Karissa_Clohan
    Karissa_Clohan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Try chicken breasts with a generous amount of salsa cooked on medium/high for a few hours - we love it!
    It goes great with Spanish rice or corn, my husband likes to shred his meat, mix everything, and wrap it up in a tortilla. :)
  • Island_Style20
    Island_Style20 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a whole lot with the crockpot, but check out these recipes from skinny taste! Both were absolutely delicious.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/04/crock-pot-buffalo-chicken-lettuce-wraps.html

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/crock-pot-santa-fe-chicken-425-pts.html

I personally enjoyed the Sante Fe Chicken the best! :) Enjoy!
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I do chicken thighs rolled in spices (your choice, but I do chili powder, salt and pepper, garlic powder, onion powder) and then cooked over oranges cut in half. Easy and tasty, and not that bad for you (depending on your goals, etc. For me, it works well for dinner).

Also do lean beef stew, pork loin with salsa (sautee veggies on the side for that one), and love this recipe:
    http://busycooks.about.com/od/chickenrecipe1/r/stickydrumstick.htm
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Try chicken breasts with a generous amount of salsa cooked on medium/high for a few hours - we love it!
    It goes great with Spanish rice or corn, my husband likes to shred his meat, mix everything, and wrap it up in a tortilla. :)

Brilliant. I'm trying this tonight!
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Pork roast!

2-3 # pork roast (any type)
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/4 cup olive oil, divided
    1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    2 Tablespoons lemon juice
    1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons dijon mustard
    2-4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Heat 1 T oil in skillet and brown pork well. Place in crockpot. (I sometimes leave this step out and it turns out fine). Combine remaining ingredients and pour over pork. Cook on low 8 hours, or until it falls apart when you pull on it with a fork.
  • tinacrane
    tinacrane Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Pinterest? All my recipes come from there...be careful though, it can be addicting :laugh:

one of many examples, with over 5,000 repins:

5dc61f479349525af2a9afc23d0d8194.jpg
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jlbland123
    Jlbland123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/213042/savory-slow-cooker-squash-and-apple-dish?evt19=1

I eat this as a meal, but it's probably more of a thanksgiving side. There is no added sugar (apart from the dried cranberries).
  • momosunshine
    momosunshine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found a couple recipes that my husband and I really like. Also, they freeze well. So you can make a big batch and freeze the leftovers to re-heat on those busy nights when you're tempted to go out to eat!

Clean Eating - Apricot Salsa Chicken

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-slow-cooker-apricot-salsa-chicken/

The Lemon Bowl - Lentil Soup with Bacon

http://thelemonbowl.com/2012/12/slow-cooker-lentil-soup-with-bacon.html

Enjoy!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i do the chicken and salsa thing alot!

-i also do lean beef in the crock with a cup of v8 and some garlic powder.

-chicken breasts with a cup of vegetable broth and choped onion, celery, carrots and potatoes cut in half. Mrs Dash to taste.

all cooked on low for 8 hrs.
  • Tabgirl29
    Tabgirl29 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Chicken, onions, carrots, celery, a jalapeno and a can of stewed tomatoes (or a combo of whatever you happen to have that is on that list) turns out great!

Chicken or lean beef, fresh ginger*, onions, a can of peaches** and a cinnamon stick will turn out amazing. You can add a jalapeno or red pepper flakes for heat.
    * You can use a can of ginger ale (diet is fine) if you don't have fresh ginger.
    **You can also use tomato paste which is really low in calories.

Link turkey sausage, tart apples and vidalla onions....You don't have to brown the sausage, but it turns out better if you do.

I always put the firm veggies on the bottom (like onions and carrots). The protein in the middle and frozen veggies or fruit go on top with the spices. I cook on high for 4 hours if I am home and stir, season, and cook on low for 2 more hours. If not around, I just cook on low.

I have had great results with frozen chicken breasts, however, it depends on the brand as to how much liquid there will be.

• VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I use my crockpot more than anything else- Shredded chicken (breasts cooked with spices and some broth, so versatile), turkey chili, I made ribs in it last night, orange chicken, balsamic drumsticks (literally just drumsticks, balsamic vinegar, a spoon of honey & some spices), salsa chicken, shredded bbq pork... The list is endless, truly. The internet has been my friend
  • KarenFord1988
    Options
    I love using my crock pot! I try to build most of my weeknight meals around crock pot recipes. Today I'm making lasagna in it. I used ground turkey instead of ground beef (less fat), and fat free cottage cheese instead of ricotta. I even found some fat free mozzarella (which I combined with some 2% mozzarella). I also put some spinach in the layers.

We raise our own chickens to eat, so we have a freezer full of whole chickens. Usually once a week I'll put a frozen chicken in the crock pot and we eat that with some veggies. Any leftovers from the chicken are used that week in another recipe -- like chicken pot pie or chicken chili.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options