Alcohol and weight gain

Options
I find when I have a couple glasses of wine the scale is up in the morning. I know I have not put on 2 pounds of fat over night but i am assuming the alcohol makes me hold on to water or something? I find the same thing if I eat a lot of starch and salt as well. I am not going over on my calories, I am still exercising and I want to have a treat once in a while it just sucks to see that scale going in the wrong direction!!!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Ethyl alcohol produces toxins in your body when it is metabolized, and your body retains some water to help with the process of neutralizing them. When your liver is done with that process, then you urinate. And urinate. And urinate.

Edited for precise clarity
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol
  • runnergirl0419
    runnergirl0419 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Take it from a college student-- alcohol is not good. I am already a tiny person, 5'4 and very thin-- run 7-10 miles everyday. My freshman year I gained TEN pounds. Sophomore year I have greatly reduced alcohol intake to about once a month, and I have LOST a significant amount of weight without even trying. I eat candy/ice cream everyday and it does not have the effect alcohol does.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself every day, and on don't drink alcohol or have high sodium foods the night before a weigh-in. I make sure to never eat Chinese food before a weigh in day because the scale is always up at least 2 lbs.
  • Sabcat2007
    Options
    Hi There!

I am in the same boat - I lost about 47 pounds since July 2012, kept it off so far, but fluctuate maybe 2-3 pounds here and there. No biggie. I too, started having a couple of glasses of wine here and there just as a treat, and found I was up about 5 pounds....I also found I was picking in between meals. I run at least 4 times a week too. I don't get it. I guess I just have to stay incredible strict at all times --- kind of frustrating.

Hope you have a good day!
  • runnergirl0419
    runnergirl0419 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in weighing yourself everyday no matter what-- avoiding the scale becomes too easy. Out of sight out of mind, right? Hold yourself accountable.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    You didn't on 2 lbs of fat overnight. That would mean you at 7,000 calories. You put on 2 lbs of water weight. Which is temporary and typically goes away in a few days once you return to normal exercise and eating, drinking enough fluids. I go up as much as 5 lbs in a single day. Every day. If you're going to freak over fluctuations. Weigh in weekly, same time, place, clothes. ..
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in weighing yourself everyday no matter what-- avoiding the scale becomes too easy. Out of sight out of mind, right? Hold yourself accountable.
    I kind of agree with this. I weigh every day... a little fluctuation is fine. IMO it helps me head off the steady upward climb.... It's frustrating at times but as long as the weight is the same or lower on the same day the next week all is good.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I see lower numbers the next morning when I have a glass or two of wine the night before. I read it's supposed to work as a diuretic since alcohol has a dehydrating effect. Seems to work for me.
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I used to have a glass or two of wine with dinner and within my calorie range every night or every other night. Once I cut alcohol completely out except for one night a week or once every two weeks I finally saw my weight start to budge.

I know it's calories in vs. calories out, but I wasn't getting the weekly results I wanted when I was drinking nightly. (And I was measuring my glasses, not just filling them up).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a toxin, and your body retains some water to help with the process of neutralizing it. When your liver is done with that process, then you urinate. And urinate. And urinate.
    It's not a toxin, however over consumption of it can become toxic (just like lots of other stuff we ingest).

To the OP, just know this: alcohol is the energy that the body uses until it's completely gone from the body. That means any glycogen or fat use for energy is inhibited.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    It's not a toxin,

Thank you for reminding me to be 100% clear and precise when I'm on the internet, and that simplifying for brevity's sake causes consternation. <3
  • jjanay100
    jjanay100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I agree. This is why I know it is the alcohol causing the scale to go up. It usually is down the next day but I was curious why it's happening since I know it's not "real" weight gain.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Don't drink the night before you weigh in. We have a tendency to eat salty foods along with alcohol so that helps in weight gain. Drink in moderation and limit alcohol to special occasions. You'd be amazed how much of a difference that will make. (I need to take my own advice more often though :).