Tracking when you don't eat all your food?

Options
I often track as I am cooking or just as I start eating my food. Sometimes I find I don't eat all of it. Such as tonight where I ate maybe 1/4 of my meal. I normally don't change the amounts and leave it as if I ate my whole meal.

What do you guys do when you've tracked more then you end up eating? Do you track it so it is the exact amount or do you leave it as it is?

I am thinking I should change it in this case because it is a difference of about 400 calories though that would bring my calorie intake for the day down to about 1000 which I suppose is what it technically. I really should finish my dinner but I don't feel hungry.

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Cook your portion. Weigh it.. eat what you want.. weigh the remainder track the difference.

All of my recipes are 1 serving and I just divide my portion by the total weight to get how much of it I ate.
  • dmeyerman
    dmeyerman Posts: 27
    Options
    I track after I eat, so my counts are more accurate (even though I round up rather than down if I run into questionable items).
  • rdsxfn
    rdsxfn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Log what you eat not what's on your plate. I guesstimate the amount I eat if I don't clear my plate. I tend to overestimate a little just to be safe and to not stress over my daily calories.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I have a different tactic -- I just eat it tomorrow but leave it tracked for today. Over the week my calories will average out.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have a different tactic -- I just eat it tomorrow but leave it tracked for today. Over the week my calories will average out.

I do this sometimes too
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options

I have done this also.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    I never have such an occasion. If I did, I would calculate the difference as close as I could and subtract it. But then, I'm just kinda fanatical about logging accurately.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point of tracking if you're not logging what you actually ate.
  • deliacm
    deliacm Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I tend to round up when I track to make logging easier, so if the difference is significant, I'll change it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I revise after I eat if I didn't eat everything.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I alter my calories if I'm eating out. For example, a place near me does awesome chicken wings but the nutritional info includes the creamy blue cheese sauce. I hate blue cheese sauce so tend to reduce the amount consumed to even out calories, but still tend to overestimate.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I always track exact amounts, it is really important to me. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not using super scientific methods like weighing and measuring every single thing. I do measure when I'm cooking or weighing out a portion of nuts or something.

But yes...if I logged a 4 oz fillet of salmon in advance, and only ate 2/3 of it I would alter my entry to 0.67 fillet or 0.7 at most.

Not that it would ever happen, I love salmon ;-)
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I measure my things out before I eat, then I measure the leftovers. Doesn't take long. More accurate than guessing.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

this