What's the best way to recover from a splurge???

Options
I've been doing pretty good with a steady calorie cut, some cardio (been really sick) and strength training. However, my husband and I did a Home Depot shopping trip last night and he stopped at Happy Panda. I hadn't eaten anything like that in a few months. I thought I did good with getting 1/2 mixed vegies and grilled chicken breast, just splurging with 1/2. But when I went to log it and looked it up on the website, it was almost 1,000 calories! I've been targeting around 1,200 for the day!!! Plus this was late and I went to bed feeling a little sick. What's the best way to combat those extra calories now, the next day? I know it was a ton of sodium. It put my whole day around 1,850 calories.

Also, what's the best way to determine BMR? I have been on sites that tell me anywhere from 1,400 calories to 2,400.

Thanks!

Replies

• RhysJ13
    RhysJ13 Posts: 72
    Options
    I dunno, tissue maybe?

EDIT: Sorry wrong kind of splurge.
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Just go back to your normal schedule/plan. Don't try and compensate. What's done is done, it's in the past. It was one meal, it's not going to hurt you.
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing your thing, don't worry about what happen. It may slow you down a little but it won't stop you if you stay on track for the future.

No need to look to far into it, this isn't a race.

Could always go the large amount of water and laxative route if you want to feel like your getting something out of your body but that doesn't make for a fun day.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I can't answer the BMR question. As for the splurge, drink lots of water to flush the sodium, eat well going forward, (but don't eat less than usual, because 1200 is low as it is and less than that will be miserable) and try not to worry about it. One big meal won't do you much harm, and if you totaled 1850 calories, chances are you ate around your maintenance. Weighing yourself may hurt for a few days, but remember that's sodium and undigested food, not actual weight gain!
  • ppardee
    ppardee Posts: 3
    Options
    Everybody talks about how many calories you should eat in a day because its simple. Your body doesn't care what you eat in a day. It cares what you eat in a week/month/year. If you splurged a little, forget about it. If you splurged a LOT (like 1000 calories), you can eat fewer calories for the next month by a little and catch up. A 1000 calorie splurge is about 30 calories a day over the course of a month or walk an extra few minutes per day. On the other hand, it's only about a quarter of a pound set back. Not a big deal as long as you don't repeat it.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Just move on. Guessing that is probably somewhere close (give or take) to your maintenance anyway. Just drink a lot of water to help with the extra sodium.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You beat me to it!
    I can't answer the BMR question. As for the splurge, drink lots of water to flush the sodium, eat well going forward, (but don't eat less than usual, because 1200 is low as it is and less than that will be miserable) and try not to worry about it. One big meal won't do you much harm, and if you totaled 1850 calories, chances are you ate around your maintenance. Weighing yourself may hurt for a few days, but remember that's sodium and undigested food, not actual weight gain!
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Splurges can actually be good for you. I remember once I went out with my dad had a hearty three course meal with a great red wine and bread and butter pudding for desert. I got on the scales in the morning to observe the devastation.

I had lost a pound.

I honestly couldn't stifle a small giggle. I don't suggest eating like that every day. But I think the occasional splurge every now and then is good for resetting your bodies metabolic weight loss brakes.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    To answer the first question... don't worry about it, what happened in the past is in the past. Don't let it derail you. Move on with your regularly scheduled program.....

As for BMR (here is the calculation)

665 + (9.6 x Weight in KG) + (1.8 x Height in CM) - (4.7 x age)

Edited to add the link you need to calculate TDEE.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/653038-how-to-calculate-your-tdee-made-simple
  • rainbowxelephant
    rainbowxelephant Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yup, a splurge day or meal is actually good for your body, especially when you're restricting your calories as low as 1200 a day. Calculate your TDEE rather than your BMR. After you get your TDEE subtract 300-500 calories a day depending on your goals and activity level. Say your TD is 2000. You would subtract 500 calories for a weight loss of 1 pound per week, so you'd want to eat about 1500 NET calories a day. That's the total of calories eaten subtract calories burned. So if you burned 350 calories at the gym, in total you'd take in about 1850 calories. Make sense?
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Just move forward. You can't change the past, but you can change the future. So don't dwell on it and return to your regularly scheduled program.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    After I splurge the next day more than anything I do is get my 8 cups of water in. I've learned that there is a lot of sodium in the things we eat and that can make you retain water and your weight go up. So my strategy after these days is to consume at least 8 cups of water maybe more and make sure that I get my workout in. It doesn't have to be an extra effort workout just the normal thing that you would do on that day. For me that works good luck to you though.
  • mjspyt777
    Options
    We all have splurge moments. The best way is to get back on track with your workouts and eating right.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    Not many of us haven't done that. Just write it off as a cheat day ,and get back on the wagon like it never happened.
  • bookmaggot
    bookmaggot Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. It was a mistake and learning experience. Don't try to compensate for it today; just stick with your diet and exercise plan as normal. Think of it this way, you figure you overate by 650 calories yesterday. If every one of those 650 calories became body fat (which they won't), that's like three ounces. You wouldn't even notice it on the scale at the end of the week.

EDIT: Like everyone else has said, you might want to think about your nutrition goals generally because 1200 is a little low.
  • keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It's not a big deal that's life sometimes things get in the way and we eat things unexpectedly. Your body probably wants to thank you for the extra calories because 1200 is low.
  • tayboo2
    tayboo2 Posts: 13
    Options
    Green Tea cleanse. drink lots of water and green tea and forgive yourself for your mistake stress will only make it worse
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Regardless of its effect on your diet, a splurge of yummy food and wine every now and again is good for the soul. I find allowing myself off days and treats helps keep me motivated to be "good" the rest of the time. Rule number 1 of healthy lifestyle is don't allow yourself to feel guilty about splurges like that.

As for recovering, you've had some very good advice already: drink plenty of water, otherwise live life as normal.

In the long term, you may want to consider increasing your calories: 1200 is very low, and it has been proven that highly restrictive diets are much harder to stick to. If you go for a more gentle approach, it is more likely to stick for the long term.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about what your precise BMR / TDEE is - I prefer a more empirical approach. Pop your numbers into the MFP calculator, setting your goal to 1 lb per week loss and activity levels to sedentary. Allow MFP to do the maths for you. Stick to that NET goal, weighing your food accurately and tracking all your exercise. See how it goes for a few weeks. If you're losing at a reasonable rate and not feeling hungry, stay with it. If you're not losing weight, check you're logging accurately, if you are, reduce the goal. If you're losing too quickly and/or are hungry all the time, increase your goal slightly. Losing weight is a long term thing, and losing consistently is more important the calculating the right numbers.
  • 503pdx
    503pdx Posts: 31
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice. Generally I wouldn't feel so much pressure but I wanted to get back to my wedding weight by my anniversary and I'm so close, so is the date! But I do think I need to re-evaluate my calories. 1200-1400 sounds like a good variable to stick between at least for the next 5lbs then I'll slowly take it up until I discover my maintenance level.

Thank you!
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I agree with people that actually think this is a good thing. If you have a consistent, large daily caloric deficit, having a day where you eat at maintenance or slightly above will be good for you because it helps your body reset its stress hormone response which can cause you to retain excess or water or possibly impede weight loss. This seems to be particularly helpful for women. Plus, over all, for the week, your caloric deficit is still going to be considerable.