Frustrated

I'm writing with the hope that someone can give me some advice/encouragement. Weight loss has been a (practically) life-long struggle for me. I have been diagnosed with PCOS which basically has been a catch-22; the more difficult it is to lose weight, the more important it is to lose weight. What I really am looking for is practical advice on attainable goals and SUSTAINABLE fitness and eating plans. In the past, I go over the deep end with dieting or strict exercise regimens and I end up either hurting myself or simply not being able to keep up what I'm doing. I have about 75 pounds to lose and a fairly busy schedule. Thanks for reading what ended up being a pretty whiny-sounding post... I guess I'm feeling a bit whiny, but I want to get past that and DO something.

(Accidentally posted this on the wrong board, so apologies if you've seen it elsewhere!)

Replies

• emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    To start, just log what you eat in a week. Don't try to hit any goals, just eat what you eat and log it in.

After that week, adjust your calorie limit to set it to maintenance. If you have been eating more than that (I'm guessing you have been, or you wouldn't be here), then take a week or two to get used to eating that lower amount.

Try cleaning up your menu. Choose water more often, choose a healthier option over a treat.

Next, do a weight loss goal of a half pound a week. If that is easy, choose a more aggressive goal.

You know you are in for a long road, so I think the more you ease in to it, the higher your chances of sticking with it. This is going to be a lifestyle change, not a diet.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Start with what either MFP gives you or with TDEE - 20%. Change your eating habits and knowledge. You will learn what to eat. You can have everything you want, just do your best to not go over your calories. Make sure you get enough protein so you don't lose too much muscle along with fat. Move as much as possible. Park at the end of the parking lot when you go somewhere, instead of trying to find the closest spot. Walk upstairs/downstairs at home or work for the bathroom. Put a couple dumbbells at your desk at work and do squats and arm curls every hour.

Drastic diets and changes will not last and you will continue your struggle. You know yourselft that it's not sustainable. Know that if you overeat one day it's OK. It takes approximately 3500 calories to gain one pound of fat. Weigh your food so you know you're not overeating. You can do this. 75 pounds may seem like too much to lose, but one day it'll be 70, then 65, then 60, etc. and you will be soooo happy.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,217 Member
    To start, just log what you eat in a week. Don't try to hit any goals, just eat what you eat and log it in.

After that week, adjust your calorie limit to set it to maintenance. If you have been eating more than that (I'm guessing you have been, or you wouldn't be here), then take a week or two to get used to eating that lower amount.

Try cleaning up your menu. Choose water more often, choose a healthier option over a treat.

Next, do a weight loss goal of a half pound a week. If that is easy, choose a more aggressive goal.

You know you are in for a long road, so I think the more you ease in to it, the higher your chances of sticking with it. This is going to be a lifestyle change, not a diet.

Really solid advice. It seems trite but small changes really do make a difference. You don't need to be miserable to lose weight and keep it off. In fact, being too agressive with diet and exercise ("If some calorie restriction is good, than more calorie restriction is better" or "If some exercise is good, than two hours in the gym everyday must be better") is a sure fire way to fail.

Work with your body and not against it and I think you'll be happy with the results.
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Sadly, like most worthwhile things in life, losing weight requires tenacity, perseverance and patience. Accept that and you have every chance of success.

You are the only thing that can sabotage yourself in this, and that is by setting your goals to high (i.e. I am going to lose 5lbs a week til its gone) or punishing yourself by giving up every time the going gets tough.

Life is frustrating and dealing well with frustration is what sets the WINNERS apart from the LOSERS.

I am sorry if I am being too preachy, but I am almost 60 and have had some successes and some failures in my life and I truly believe that we MAKE success by patience and perseverance and overcoming our frustrations. Giving in to bad moods or beating yourself up over your errors is NO way to succeed.

Another thing I strongly recommend is find people here and myfitnesspal who have similar weight loss goals and friend them. You can encourage each other.

And just keep tracking. Do it slowly and conscientiously and YOU WILL LOSE -- EVENTUALLY.

Good luck!
  • Thank you all for your advice and words of encouragement!! You've snapped me out of this funk that I've been in and I feel like I can move in the right direction armed with some really excellent advice (and a much better attitude!!)