577,500 Calories

Options
The other day a lady on our boards said that she had gained 3 lbs over the weekend. Another member, Jsecret, said it wasn't likely she went 10,000 calories over her maintenance level. Okay 10,500 if your anal. Still though that started me to thinking.

So many times I've seen people come on the boards and say help, I need to lose 10 lbs by Friday. Well fat chance! Forgive the pun. Though I have seen a person, not me, lose 16 lbs in a week. They didn't keep it off. We don't gain 10 lbs in a single day. Please don't prove me wrong here. Oh we may bounce around. I, myself, have jumped 4 lbs in 2 days. But that was water retention from working out so hard or from eating something high in sodium. Then it could have been constipation caused by a change in diet. Whatever it was it wasn't pure fat gain. That takes time. It took me around 10 years to get to 350 lbs from 250 lbs. and I was way overweight at 250.

When I started MFP I needed to lose 165 lbs or 577,500 calories. No way was I going to lose that by Friday or any Friday in the next year.

I think most will find and agree that if you show any weight loss at all during a given week it is great. It changes the spirit.

Replies

• sallyLunn
    Options
    agree
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    fact is if you binge and overeat, you may gain 5-7 pounds in food weight, but most of that will be excreted out and you will retain a few of those pounds being obsorbed
  • lovebrittnie
    Options
    i agree as well
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    totally with you there. But it gives me some measure of comfort to know that once I reach my goal it won't take a single day to balloon me up to what I am now.
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yeah over Christmas I went off my diet and ate bad for 3 days straight (basically just cookies - pure sugar and fat). I gained 6 pounds in three days. It has been 2 days since then and I have gone down half a pound...I think by the end of this week it should be back off again because I can't imagine myself to have really gained that weight.
  • MISTTIMI
    Options
    You are right, when the scales show a gain some people immediately think "fat". but it could be a number of things as you pointed out. I just wish I could remember this myself because I gained about 7 pounds during Christmas and panicked, but this week, back on the program, the scales show I only gained 3 pounds, solid fat is slowly gained, and slowly lost.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I carried this out a little further. In order to gain 10 lbs. a year all I had to do was eat 96 calories over my maintenance level every day. Wow, if only I had exercised just a little more.
  • MISTTIMI
    Options
    I carried this out a little further. In order to gain 10 lbs. a year all I had to do was eat 96 calories over my maintenance level every day. Wow, if only I had exercised just a little more.

Wow! You are an accountant aren't' you! LOL
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    fact is if you binge and overeat, you may gain 5-7 pounds in food weight, but most of that will be excreted out and you will retain a few of those pounds being obsorbed

i AGREE WITH THIS. tHE DAY AFTER MY 3 DAY HOLIDAY BENDER MY SCALE SAID 135. TWO DAYS LATER IM BACK DOWN AT 129
  • soze
    Options

Wow! You are an accountant aren't' you! LOL

Well carrying it out a little further, I'm averaging 793 calories burned per day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options

I love this. Here is one of my all time favorite old threads here on MFP. It will make you smile.:flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/34484-mouse-potato-vs-diet-math-ii?page=1#posts-385019
  • soze
    Options

I love this. Here is one of my all time favorite old threads here on MFP. It will make you smile.:flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/34484-mouse-potato-vs-diet-math-ii?page=1#posts-385019

Now that was a great post! The individual is spot on.
  • Procrastinator
    Options
    Very true!