Snack ideas!

Options
My biggest struggle during the day is snacking! I'm trying to break old habits of eating an entire sleeve of cookies in favor of better for me options. But the only things I can think of for snacks are yogurt, crackers + cheese, handful of carrots, fruit, etc. and I get bored quickly and start hunting down the cookies!

So basically I'm looking for some of your favorite snacks to give me some ideas for my grocery trip tomorrow! I'm looking for options other than chips, cookies, brownies, etc.

Thanks!

Replies

• christinebryant80
    christinebryant80 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My favourate snacks are:

-nuts & seeds
    -granola
    -1 cup cheerioes
    -Frozen berries

I also am getting bored with that but curious on what other people like to snack on
  • firestation12
    Options
    I like the Energy Bars from WINCO (130 cal.)
  • mdpkelley
    mdpkelley Posts: 19
    Options
    I like to make protein smoothies for my snacks. 1 scoop of whey protein, 1/2 serving of fruit and 1/4 serving of plain greek yogurt... my smoothie today was triple chocolate whey powder with banana (and greek yogurt) 183 calories, 22 carbs, 2 fat & 22 protein.

if you get a blender bottle you wont even need a blender. I just mash up the fruit and let it sit out with the yogurt to get softer. mix it all with hot/warm water and after its good and smooth add some ice.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I really like chips, cookies, crackers and such for snacks. So I make sure I burn enough calories to fit them in. I have found that for me personally, weighing and logging my servings has drastically reduced my temptation to overindulge in these types of foods.

But that's not what you asked, so here are a few other snack ideas:

hummus & veggies
    chips & salsa
    popcorn
    jello/pudding
    string cheese
    granola bar
    turkey jerky

ETA I did a quick search for low calorie snack ideas here on MPF and the first thread I found has tons of great ideas

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1000476-low-calorie-snack-ideas?hl=low+calorie+snack+ideas#posts-15314296
  • sticky41284
    sticky41284 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My favourate snacks are:

-nuts & seeds
    -granola
    -1 cup cheerioes
    -Frozen berries

I also am getting bored with that but curious on what other people like to snack on

Oo, granola! I totally forgot about that! Thanks!
  • sticky41284
    Options
    I like to make protein smoothies for my snacks. 1 scoop of whey protein, 1/2 serving of fruit and 1/4 serving of plain greek yogurt... my smoothie today was triple chocolate whey powder with banana (and greek yogurt) 183 calories, 22 carbs, 2 fat & 22 protein.

if you get a blender bottle you wont even need a blender. I just mash up the fruit and let it sit out with the yogurt to get softer. mix it all with hot/warm water and after its good and smooth add some ice.

That's a great idea! Thank you!
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I try to have protein or healthy fat when I have carbs, it seems like it keeps me satisfied longer. I like to have some lower sodium lunch meat or a slice of a reduced fat cheese with a whole grain crackers ( I like WASA crackers), Apple or banana with some nut butter ( I love Almond butter), I'll have a slice of whole grain toast with cruncy almond butter, light yogurt, hard boiled egg, I'll have some type of protein snack bar, I like edamame with a little sea salt, I love unsalted almonds, unsalted pistachios, I usually have one of those nuts with some reduced fat string cheese.
  • amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    2i6jvgl.jpg

Carrot Zucchini Muffins Recipe

Makes 12 muffins
    Ingredients:
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 cup of white flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 cup canola oil
    2 eggs
    1 cup grated zucchini
    1 cup grated carrots
    1/2 cup of fresh unsweetened applesauce
    1 tsp of vanilla
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Method:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and baking powder.
    In another bowl beat together oil, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla.
    Add the dry ingredients in parts to the wet mixture and mix to reach a smooth consistency. Stir in grated carrots and zucchini.
    Spoon into the lined muffin cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
    Take it out and test with a toothpick to make sure inside of the muffins are done. Allow them to cool on wire racks.
  • amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Healthy Snack: Energy Balls

Ingredients
    1 cup Old Fashioned Oats
    ½ cup peanut butter (or other nutbutter) Sometimes I use crunchy
    ⅓ cup Honey
    ½ cup dark chocolate chips (mini if you can find them)
    1 tsp Vanilla
    ¼ cup Ground Flaxseed (Optional)
    coconut flakes (Optional – add amount you like up to 1 cup)
    Raisins (or other dried fruit) (Optional)

Instructions
    Mix all the ingredients together. Refrigerate for about 20 minutes or so to make the mix firm. Use a cookie scooper (or spoon if needed) and roll into balls.
    Refrigerate.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Generally I find that snacks are more satisfying if there's a combination of protein or fat along with some carbs.

Apple + peanut butter
    Toast + peanut butter
    Graham cracker + cream cheese (+ jam optional)
    Roasted spiced chickpeas
    Pistachios + dried blueberries
    Fruit + string cheese or babybel cheese
    Fruit + nuts
    Veg + hummus

The challenge I find is not coming up with tasty snacks. It's eating them in small portions. I mean, I've got it sorted (measure everything out before I sit down to eat, do not eat directly from package etc.) but that's the hard part I think. You can eat 2 squares of chocolate (and I often do) for a snack, you just have to practice portion control.
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks!
    Plenty of protein, full of fiber, super crunchy, sweet, and filling!
    -❤VS

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/01/bc/08/01bc08ed69c5fa7ac213f5b7215e1157.jpg
  • nancyjmoran1
    nancyjmoran1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    pretzel snaps (24) 120 cal 1 g fat, and one wedge of Laughing Cow garden vegetable cheese spread 45 cal 4g fat....love it because I needed to give up high fat cheeses and this really satisfies! I also spread this cheese on white cheddar rice cakes:love:
  • Nickih4619093
    Nickih4619093 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Here are some things I snack on;
    Apple or banana with 1 tbsp natural pb - > 160-200 cal
    Ham and pickle roll ups - 50 cal for 2
    Yoplait 50 cal Greek yogurt with 1/2 c berries and 1/4 cup vector cereal - 130 cal
    Rice cake with 1 slice turkey and 1/2 oz cheese - 100 cal
    Handful almonds or shelled sunflower seeds - 200 cal
    Quest bar - > 200 cal
    Cheese string - 60 cal
    Laughing cow cheese wedge on wasa cracker - 70 cal
    Yumm..
  • TheVevina
    TheVevina Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    chopped up frozen banana -- it has a bit of an icecreamy texture
  • wink212
    wink212 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sticky41284
    Options
    These are all awesome ideas! My grocery cart is going to be bursting tomorrow :)