Hello, just starting!

Options
Hello, my name is Angel and I'm just starting out on this fitnesspal.com. A friend introduced me to it awhile back, then I moved about 1,000 miles away and just got lazy I suppose.

I'm looking for advice. In the VERY little time I have to do anything, I'm looking to start losing weight. Since I moved here to Florida, I've become very busy, but not in an active exercise way. I bet I've gained about 30 pds since moving here a few months ago.

I'm looking to find exercises that can be done at home. I dont have alot of extra money, as I'm a single mom of 3. Can anyone suggest exercises I can do at home, in the morning and before bed? I already drink the 8 glasses of water a day, easily. I dont have extra money to go buy exercise equipment. This morning, I walked my stairs for 15 mins, did some sit ups, but I guess since I've never really exercised, I dont know what to do, I need to lose my mid-section, and tighten my thighs up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :ohwell:

Replies

• ecrichar
    ecrichar Posts: 14
    Options
    Hello, my name is Angel and I'm just starting out on this fitnesspal.com. A friend introduced me to it awhile back, then I moved about 1,000 miles away and just got lazy I suppose.

I'm looking for advice. In the VERY little time I have to do anything, I'm looking to start losing weight. Since I moved here to Florida, I've become very busy, but not in an active exercise way. I bet I've gained about 30 pds since moving here a few months ago.

I'm looking to find exercises that can be done at home. I dont have alot of extra money, as I'm a single mom of 3. Can anyone suggest exercises I can do at home, in the morning and before bed? I already drink the 8 glasses of water a day, easily. I dont have extra money to go buy exercise equipment. This morning, I walked my stairs for 15 mins, did some sit ups, but I guess since I've never really exercised, I dont know what to do, I need to lose my mid-section, and tighten my thighs up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :ohwell:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings ecrichar! So happy you found this site...I think you'll find it most helpful and enjoyable!

I always encourage women to try bellydance...it is toning and cardio combined and it feels good...it is so much fun that it doesn't feel like exercise but when you are starting out you'll feel sore the next day as if you had been weight training...there are many instructional and workout DVDs available for under $20.00...your kids will probably enjoy having their Mom dancing at home!

Yoga and pilates are also available via DVD and are great ways to workout and feel good at home...you could get your kids interested in working out with you!
  • prairiemom
    prairiemom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Good luck & Welcome. :happy:
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    Welcome! Your stairs are a great exercise, but I'm afraid you'll get bored with that after a while and end up looking for something else. Exercise bands are a good tool for developing muscle to tone and burn more calories, and they are not expensive and store in a drawer! Try investing in a couple of DVD's, (would be another great topic of discussion,) to make your workouts entertaining and toning. Good luck!
  • maggie2020
    Options
    Welcome, I just started too. a good site for you not to spend any money for strength training is discovery health, the diet and fitness tabs. They have some great workouts under Dr. Oz. Also try walking in place in front of the TV at night for 10 min each night. I know it sounds crazy but it a great way the add quick wk/out at night. If you have no weights use cans (ex. soup cans, veggie cans) try pushups, squats, lunges, crunches all of these will not cost any money, I also suggest you create your own wk/out,,,,

good luck.. I live in VA, & about to go take my dog for a walk it is beautiful outside...:glasses: