Running daily still not losing weight.....

Options
I've been logging and exercising for about a month now give or take a day or so. I've had cheat days yes but I've been pretty consistent in my logging in. I've been burning on average 400cals a day and eating around 1500. On some days I burn more and eat more but my net cals are never above 1300. Am I eating to many calories? I'm a runner, long distance, so normally I've been logging in 3-4 miles at 5.0-6.0 speed. Should I start focusing on interval running for a shorter time or should I cut my exercise down so I can cut my calories as well? I'm just trying to lose body fat and get more muscle. Not really focusing on the scale number.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. If you're not losing, you're underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burns. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh your food. Eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary. Your logging consistency is all over the place. You Didn't log all last weekend. Those days where you're not logging can spell disaster for your deficit. Before you think of changing your calorie goal, log every day for a solid month. Weigh and measure your food if possible but the most important thing is making sure you're staying accountable
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary. Your logging consistency is all over the place. You Didn't log all last weekend. Those days where you're not logging can spell disaster for your deficit. Before you think of changing your calorie goal, log every day for a solid month. Weigh and measure your food if possible but the most important thing is making sure you're staying accountable

Basically this.
  • aks12394
    aks12394 Posts: 4
    Options
    I guess I didn't think a few days like that would make a difference. I'll try and be more accountable. Thanks!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I guess I didn't think a few days like that would make a difference. I'll try and be more accountable. Thanks!

Np. If you haven't read the sexy pants link, I highly suggest it! That link really clarified a lot for me when I was getting started.

Calorie counting opened my eyes to the mystery behind why I couldn't succeed before. I know at first it might seem like a pain, logging everything but you just get into the habit and it's not as bad. On days I can, I pre log the night before just so I don't have to wonder :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Good advice given!

Also, if your goal is to lose fat and build muscle, you might want to back off the running and add in some weight training. Great article on losing fat and keeping/building muscle here: http://www.livestrong.com/blog/lose-fat-without-losing-muscle/
  • runnergirl0419
    runnergirl0419 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am a collegiate cross country runner who runs 7-10 miles daily and I cannot lose the last 5 pounds! The issue is not the running. Weight loss is 70%+ nutrition and 30% maximum exercise. On a 3 mile run you burn maybe a maximum of 300 calories. 300 calories = a muffin. Many people overestimate the amount of calories they burn while running which is why many people actually gain weight when they begin to run. Simply make sure the calories coming in are from protein, vegetables, yogurt, low-sugar fruit, nuts, and some healthy oils. It can happen if you are honest with yourself and don't increase calorie consumption simply because you are running
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Ditto^^^^ . And another vote for incorporating strength training if you want to build muscle.
  • aks12394
    aks12394 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! Great advice and tips! I've started to run intervals and do more weight training. I'm going to be more accurate with my food logging and consumption. I'll keep everyone posted!! Thanks again!
  • ianplant
    ianplant Posts: 5 Member
    Options
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I am a collegiate cross country runner who runs 7-10 miles daily and I cannot lose the last 5 pounds! The issue is not the running. Weight loss is 70%+ nutrition and 30% maximum exercise. On a 3 mile run you burn maybe a maximum of 300 calories. 300 calories = a muffin. Many people overestimate the amount of calories they burn while running which is why many people actually gain weight when they begin to run. Simply make sure the calories coming in are from protein, vegetables, yogurt, low-sugar fruit, nuts, and some healthy oils. It can happen if you are honest with yourself and don't increase calorie consumption simply because you are running
    some of the above is accurate. i'm a distance runner, get in about 10 miles daily. a 3 mile run at the pace OP states (5-6mph) would not burn her 300 cals btw. most likely about 200 cals.

i agree with the part above re: over-estimating calorie burn from running. however, as far as what the OP eats, as far as weight loss is concerned and assuming there are no underlying medical issues, where her cals come from does not matter. all that matters is the accuracy of her intake and burn #s.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Here you go. My formula for success:

I didn't read the above posts so I apologize if someone already said this. I never lost weight until I started taking my net cals (I researched the daylights out of this).
    Running calculator to help you figure totals.
    Running (6-minute mile) .115 x weight x min = cals burned on run
    Running (8-minute mile) .095 x weight x min = cals burned on run
    Running (9-minute mile) .087 x weight x min = cals burned on run
    Walking, normal pace, asphalt road .036 x weight x min = cals burned on run
    Walking, normal pace, fields & hills .037 x weight x min = cals burned on run

Then you have to subtract what you would have burned sitting on your butt:
    Sitting Still .009 x weight x min = cals burned sitting

Cals burned on run - cals burned sitting = extra cals that may be consumed.

For me (I am anywhere from 125 - 135 lb at any given time so this is an average):
    Walking 1 mile: 43 cals
    Running slow 1 mile: 65 cals
    Running fast 1 mile: 98 cals

Myfitnesspal gives me wwwwaaaayyyy more cals than that.

Good luck. Keep going. You are awesome!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Here you go. My formula for success:

I didn't read the above posts so I apologize if someone already said this. I never lost weight until I started taking my net cals (I researched the daylights out of this).
    Running calculator to help you figure totals.
    Running (6-minute mile) .115 x weight x min = cals burned on run
    Running (8-minute mile) .095 x weight x min = cals burned on run
    Running (9-minute mile) .087 x weight x min = cals burned on run
    Walking, normal pace, asphalt road .036 x weight x min = cals burned on run
    Walking, normal pace, fields & hills .037 x weight x min = cals burned on run

Then you have to subtract what you would have burned sitting on your butt:
    Sitting Still .009 x weight x min = cals burned sitting

Cals burned on run - cals burned sitting = extra cals that may be consumed.

For me (I am anywhere from 125 - 135 lb at any given time so this is an average):
    Walking 1 mile: 43 cals
    Running slow 1 mile: 65 cals
    Running fast 1 mile: 98 cals

Myfitnesspal gives me wwwwaaaayyyy more cals than that.

Good luck. Keep going. You are awesome!
    Those formulas give me a burn about 100 cals higher than mfp gives me. Mfp is accurate, it's just a calculator, but you have to give it accurate info to calculate with.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Actually, weight loss is 100% calorie deficit. :flowerforyou:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    not sure if this has been addressed but do you use a food scale OP?
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    building your workout is great - but weight loss <> calorie deficit
    the excercise will contribute to the calorie deficit sure, but you need to get your intake logging accurate and concistent if you want to understand what's going on