"Don't talk about it, be about it" mentality

What does that mean to people?

My friend says that i means don't talk about your fitness and healthy eating to other people or around other people. just be about it and your results will speak for themselves.

And i don't completely disagree BUT

I think that it means don't only talk about what what you want to do, you have to actually DO what you are talking about.

Do you think that its insensitive to talk about progress, goals, food with or around people who aren't on the same page?
i KNOW that it can be annoying to some people and I'm not oblivious to when people legit don't care what i hav to say about it i will change the subject and make a mental note not to bring it up with that person…
Just wondering :)

Replies

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    I think talking about it helps alot especially for beginners. Plus the more people you tell, the more it might help you because you have made a commitment.

On the other hand, every year I hear the same group of people talk about their weight loss plans and these awful extreme diets that never work and I just want to roll my eyes.

I fall into the talking about it group. I want to know what other people are doing and hopefully one day people will come up to me and ask what I did.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    I think it means exactly what your friend says. Nobody likes hearing about what someone else is eating or doing in the gym unless they ask.

I never bring it up with anyone but my husband. If I'm asked, I say "I lift weights and I watch what I eat." If they press, I say more sometimes, but most of the time I crack jokes about how much I like sandwiches.

If you aren't asked about your exercise and fitness goals, don't talk about it.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
  • eelamme
    eelamme Posts: 1,135 Member
    I find it helps if I can constantly talk about it, especially with others that are working on it, then I am always conscious of what I'm doing. If I'm with others that don't care and we are talking about kids or the movies or life then I tend to put my goals aside and not think about it, out of sight out of mind. I understand that others may not care, which s why it helps to surround yourself with others that are on the same journey. Course, there are those I work with that seem to have their eating habits under control so of course I am going to want to ask them what's for lunch, etc...might glean some epic ideas.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    I like that saying. Talk is REALLY cheap. After listening to endless people talk and talk and talk about "I have to lose weight, "I'm so fat," "how do I get rid of my stomach" and realizaing that they don't want a solution, they just want to talk, well, it's really easy to want to keep my mouth shut.

I read something about the Tao te ching...."The Tao that can be spoken is not the true tao." I take it as the more you discuss something and try to figure it out, the more connfusing if becomes and it's original message is diluted. You don't get the real good stuff trying to be conveyed by the message. You have to live the Tao (or "the way"), not talk about it.

Same with this. Talking about it leads to more talking and less doing. People can talk about different ways of exercising and eating and go around and around in circles and yet what do we constantly hear on this site? "I've tried every diet under the sun and I never lose weight. " I guarantee they talk about it all the time.

I guess for some it fulfills some need inside to talk about it because they know they are not going to do anything about it but UNCONSCIOUSLY they hope whoever is listening to them is thinking that they actually may do it.

Crazy stuff. I'm no professional but I am definitely a student of human nature. I watch and listen and I make my own conclusions. But I act and I do and I git 'er done.

However, I love to talk about fitness and good eating with like-minded people ie those who are actually doing it. I like to get workout tips and compare exercises with others. What I said above refers to the ones who do not much BUT talk. And, I get that some people are really not interested in fitness so I don't discuss that with them unless they ask and it has to be a serious question, not "How do you stay in shape? I'm so lazy and I love to eat." Ugh, just shut up.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    spot on
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member

I think that it means don't only talk about what what you want to do, you have to actually DO what you are talking about.

Do you think that its insensitive to talk about progress, goals, food with or around people who aren't on the same page?
    Your friends' interpretation is fine, but so is yours. Definitely don't talk the talk if you cant walk the walk.

No one appreciates a bore, so as long as you are aware enough to know when people don't gaf about your health/fitness efforts, its OK to talk about what you are doing. Maybe something you say will inspire someone...
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    spot on

+1
  • To me it just means if you're gonna talk a big game it better look like you live that way. Bugs me when overweight people talk about being healthy every January and fall off the wagon by Valentine's Day. To me that's just talking about it for notoriety not doing anything to change your circumstances.

That being said, I think it's really important to talk about your fitness journey. I don't talk about it much in conversations, but I have a fitness blog and post on social networking sites about my journey quite a bit too.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    There is telling and there is nagging and ranting...
    My mother used to follow each fad diet there is. She'd nag on my portions etc (that was when I was swimming a kilometer three times a week, doing karate twice a week, and cycled everywhere, 5'7" and 60kg) then the next time I'd meet her she'd be all over the last diet, piling cheese on her spaghetti or some such, then she'd go on her next diet.... Finally I lost it with her and told her straight out to quit nagging me. She was in tears.
    I see no problem in mentioning what you're doing - you definitely don't have to hide it! But let others live their lives. And live up to what you're saying. Like you said, talk is cheap, and it isn't what convinces people...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    ......Do you think that its insensitive to talk about progress, goals, food with or around people who aren't on the same page?

Keep it to yourself, because honestly,

Nobody_cares.gif
  • Yeah, I don't talk a out it because I don't want to hear about gluten-free, how lucky I am with my fast metabolism, low fat, ketosis, etc. also, no one would really want to hear me talk about my numbers (weight, protein goal, PR's etc.). It can be a boring topic of conversation, especially unsolicited :)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    If you're someone who truly busts your *kitten* to be as good as you can be at whatever it is you do, then I want to hear about it. I want to learn whatever I can from you. Doesn't really matter if I'm currently a stronger and/or more experienced lifter than you. If you're giving it your all, there is something I can learn from you that would be of use to me in my own training, so talk away.

If your only purpose for going to the gym is so you can check in on Facebook and act like you're working hard, then yeah, just shut up about it.

The paradox is that people who give it their all are less likely to initiate a conversation about how awesome they are than someone who takes a gym selfie a few times a week as evidence of their "hard work."
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    When I think of that phrase (Don't talk about it, be about it) - I think of someone who is a DOER. Oftentimes in many areas of life, people talk about doing this or that…or COMPLAIN without ever doing anything to better themselves or a situation.

I want to be a DOER. I strive to be that.

As far as talking about fitness and nutrition, I enjoy that conversation. I have an instagram for fitness/nutrition related things. I have one coworker who is into it as well and we talk about this stuff often.

I do think the meme is funny saying something like, "unless you tripped and fell off your treadmill, i don't want want to hear about your workout on Facebook". I actually responded one day to it being posted on instagram - said that I enjoyed hearing about people's workouts but that was my interest. The person who posted the meme responded, "Yeah, but ya know…too much of a good thing is never good." or something along those lines.

But……isn't Facebook/social media full of mundane non-world-changing posts and status and picture shares….of pets, and kids, and hobbies, and doctor visits, and etc etc?

I think in terms of social media and fitness, people get REALLY sensitive because it makes them feel inferior for some reason.

Anyway, I ramble...
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,566 Member
    Maybe don't talk about it unless it comes up in conversation. I have some friends at work that are fabulously fit and healthy and I ask them questions all the time. It's nice to have someone to talk to (in person) about it when I am looking for an answer. But really most people don't want to hear me talk about my weight loss journey everyday. I do find I get a lot of support though.
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    To me, there is nothing more boring than people who have to tell you everything they eat and every workout they do. If it's something new or different, that's fine. But if I want to talk or ask about something fitness related, I come here. :-)
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Obviously, if someone is super passionate about something and won't stop going on about it - that can be a bit much.

That said...

I think talking about your goals, progressions, what works/what doesn't work is a very important part of the process. I personally enjoy talking about that stuff with my friends, and luckily I am surrounded by people that agree. Obviously we balance that out by talking about a ton of different topics, but just like I'd comment on a sports score to a friend, or a movie I saw, or some mutual experience we shared...Id comment about something that happened in the gym as well.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    I am now to the point that people are beginning to notice how my body is changing (for the better, thank the Goddess!) If they ask me what I'm doing, I tell them in as much detail as I think they can handle. Usually I tell them I watch my calorie intake and exercise and I can tell they've had enough because their eyes start rolling back in their heads.
    cYTYMUj.gif

"Don't talk about it, be about it" to me means I don't have to talk about it all the time. It's like having a religious zealot knock at your door and want to tell you the "Good News." I didn't ask to hear the good news and I didn't ask for them to be on my doorstep so obviously I don't want them there and am not going to listen to their message.

ear3wAd.jpg?1

When/if they are ready, they will seek you out.