What to expect . . . a couple questions

Options
Nedra19455
Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
I started MFP about 2 weeks ago. I have a few questions, if anyone can answer them:

1. I told MFP that I wanted to lose 1 lb a week and I have synced my account with Fitbit. I eat most of my "exercise calories," and end up with usually less than 200 calories left in my "bank" at the end of the evening. A couple times I have gone over, but I think it's only happened twice and it was a single food item that put me over (as in, I didn't go over and then keep going over). Despite the fact that I am following the program pretty carefully, I've lost an average of 2 lbs per week instead of 1. Is this okay and these are just "bonus" lbs? Or am I doing something wrong? I thought I'd have to leave an extra 500 calories in my "bank" each evening in order to be losing 2 lbs per week?

2. As I lose weight, MFP will adjust my calorie goal, right? How does this work? Will it suddenly pop up with a different number one day? Any tips for how to deal with these transitions?

3. Does everyone reach a plateau? What causes plateaus?

Thanks!

Replies

• MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    1. If you aren't starving, I would see how much you lose over a few more weeks. The first week or two will have some water weight loss.

2. After you lose 10 lbs (I think it's 10) MFP will ask you if you want to recalculate your numbers. If you're still losing at the rate you want, I would not adjust. Wait until weight loss slows/stops.

3. Eventually everyone (or almost everyone) hits some sort of plateau. Sometimes after a few weeks weight starts dropping again. Sometimes you need to adjust intake or be honest with yourself about things you might not be tracking correctly/at all, or cheats. Sometimes water retention is the culprit. For ladies their time of month can affect it. Sometimes it just happens.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you a calorie goal based on your weight, height and activity level, one that projects the amount of weight loss you specify. Because it's just an estimate and the website doesn't know your individual metabolism, it's not 100% accurate.

If you are losing 2 lbs a week eating a calorie allotment that should allow you to lose 1 lb a week, to me, that means you can eat a bit more and still lose.

You may hit a plateau, sometimes people do as they get smaller and their calorie needs change because of it. I haven't yet, and I've been at it for nearly 4 months. Try a progressive lifting routine or hiit cardio, that may help keep you from stalling out.
  • LessIsMoreCB
    LessIsMoreCB Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1. Count losing the extra pound as a good thing, remember your ahead of your goal already so that if and when you hit that plateau, you don't freak out
    2. It's okay to revisit your goals when you do your check ins and the pounds are coming off.
    3. When, and again, big IF, you hit that plateau and the scale is frozen, start to focus on how much stronger you are becoming. How much better you are feeling, how you can go another minute more today on that treadmill than you could yesterday. Change it up! Shift to toning and flexibility, stamina, relaxation, and just plain fun! If it ain't moving, you ain't losing! ;)