Breakfast

Options
lizcc13
lizcc13 Posts: 12 Member
Alright....I get that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I understand why. Here is where I would appreciate help....I need ideas for a breakfast on the run (something quick) that is not cereal or eggs. I'm addicted to cereal so I stay away from it and I'm allergic to eggs. I have recently cut aspartame out of my diet so I'm thinking breakfast shakes like Special K or Atkins is also out of the question (call me crazy but I do not like drinking formaldehyde). So any idea???

Replies

• kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What I do every night is I make 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats mixed with a couple ounces of blueberry Greek yogurt, 1/2 a small apple diced, and 1/4 cup almond milk or water and some cinnamon and I mix it up and cover it with foil and leave it overnight for breakfast the following morning. Tasty, no hassle, good for you, filling. Just grab, eat, and go.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I often have yogurt and fruit for breakfast. It's quick and covers carbs, protein, and calcium. Oatmeal is also a good breakfast. Of course, cooking steel cut is ideal, but instant is fine in a pinch. Sometimes I have a Fiber One English muffin with a protein spread -- either peanut butter or Kraft Philadelphia 2X Protein cream cheese. Breakfast is the one meal I never skip/
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is no more important in the grand scheme of things than is Lunch or Dinner or Snacks for that matter... Your main objective should be to eat to your set caloric intake for that given day and to hit your set macros... beyond that meal frequency really has no bearing,,, It when it fits with in your schedule and/or your personal preferences are. Best of Luck
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have this bookmarked and I am DYING to try it one day. Low calorie and looks like an awesome way to mix up oatmeal, which I find quite boring if I have it day in day out. You put it in the slow cooker the night before, and it has stevia in the recipe but you can switch that out for 1tbls sugar, which is less than 1tsp per serving!

http://skinnyms.com/slow-cooker-hot-chocolate-steel-cut-oatmeal/
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    Put together something that you can keep in the fridge or pantry until the next morning. The overnight oatmeal someone mentioned is a good idea; I hear that rolled oats are the best for that, but in my experience the instant kind works also. Maybe wrap up an ounce of cheese, a piece of fruit, and some jerky or a handful of granola and have those things as a hodgepodge breakfast the next day. If you prep the meal beforehand then the sky is the limit, honestly. You could even make cold pasta salad or make sure that there are leftovers from dinner that you can microwave or are palatable right from the fridge.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Put together something that you can keep in the fridge or pantry until the next morning. The overnight oatmeal someone mentioned is a good idea; I hear that rolled oats are the best for that, but in my experience the instant kind works also. Maybe wrap up an ounce of cheese, a piece of fruit, and some jerky or a handful of granola and have those things as a hodgepodge breakfast the next day. If you prep the meal beforehand then the sky is the limit, honestly. You could even make cold pasta salad or make sure that there are leftovers from dinner that you can microwave or are palatable right from the fridge.

Leftovers are great! I make steamed chickpea and cabbage dumplings and just grab 4 in a ziplock, or a Great value protein bar, or 2 cheese stick, full fat liberte lemon or coconut yogurt(kind of like having creme brûlée for breakfast but insane good), I love 2 celery sticks stuffed with 2 tsp Kroger private selection yogurt dip and wrapped in light bologna. 2cups of Kroger carbmaster vanilla skim milk 120 cals and 22 g of protein, whiz with ice and you have a shake. In India they have spicy veggie soup for breakfast sometimes, I like this in the winter.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    This week I made the Smitten Kitchen granola bars during the weekend and ate one for breakfast every day. Tonight I made fake Larabars and I will eat those for lunch for a week!

Fake Larabars:

Mix equal parts nuts, dates, and another type of dried fruit, then blend in a food processor until it is smooth. Spray non-stick spray into a pan and pat the nut-date mixture into the pan. Cut into bars and store in an airtight container!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is no more important in the grand scheme of things than is Lunch or Dinner or Snacks for that matter... Your main objective should be to eat to your set caloric intake for that given day and to hit your set macros... beyond that meal frequency really has no bearing,,, It when it fits with in your schedule and/or your personal preferences are. Best of Luck

All of this. If you want breakfast then you should eat it, but there's no reason to force yourself if you feel good without it.
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options