Will the nautilus machines work for my purpose?

Options
I am brand new to strength training, always been a cardio girl. I am 29 and pretty much devoid of any impressive muscles. I also have an auto-immune condition akin to rheumatoid arthritis, so my joints are very weak.

I REALLY want to see some results though, otherwise I know myself, and I will get discouraged. So, for my purposes for *now*… will the nautilus machines work, if I keep the weights heavy enough and do 8-12 reps per set?

Also, about how long might it take before I can expect to see any change?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• silverteacup
    silverteacup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have never used a nautilus machine but I use the weight machine at the gym and I have arthritis in my joints so I am stiff and I have found that over time with gradual increases I am stronger I move better and have less pain...I am still stiff but the pain is definitely less as my muscles support my joints more efficiently.

I am not an expert but I think 8 reps is enough to start but don't go so heavy at first build up to it. Don't make your muscles sore that will defeat the purpose.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    with any medical issues it's always a good idea to check with a sports medicine doctor or physio who knows your medical history

machines are a good option when medical/injury issues limit you, although you get better results with free weights. A physio can advise which is best for you. Some joint issues are improved by heavy lifting, others are not. It depends, and it usually takes a medical professional to know the difference.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I agree this is a "see your doctor" situation, but will add that I used weight machines at first (Cybex, not Nautilus) and definitely got pleasing results. It helped me transition mentally and physically into free weights - but although most everyone probably would benefit from progressive training with free weights, nothing says everybody has to lift free weights. With a joint condition, your doctor may recommend sticking with machines for safety. Or may recommend something else entirely, which is why you should see your doctor first. Good luck!
  • silverteacup
    silverteacup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree, I started with a trainer and followed my doctors advise for me before I began.
  • Halziees
    Halziees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the answers!! I have cleared exercise with my doctor already, though she is somewhat uninvolved and has just told me to do whatever I want. If it hurts, stop. If not, keep going.

So, I guess I will just stay with the machines for now and try to build up to free weights. I was just concerned the machines wouldn't build any muscle/make a difference… but from everyone's comments, they will! :)