Strength Training - How Often?

Options
I'm finally back to exercising! I just started Jillian Michaels's No More Trouble Zones, which is a 50 minute, full-body strength training workout. I'm wondering how often I should do this. I've heard you're not supposed to lift two days in a row and that it's best to put one or two days in between strength training sessions. However, I'm not going to be able to do any exercise besides this video until February, so I want to do it as often as possible. Also, when I did 30 Day Shred (which had strength circuits as well), I did it every day and saw great results.
What do you all do when strength training? What works best?

Replies

• angietaylor45
    angietaylor45 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 5 days a week and have also seen great results. Nothing wrong with doing it in my book as long as you don't hurt yourself!
  • traceystev
    Options
    Rest is as important as the training itself. 5 days a week is fine if splitting the bodys parts up per day but when doing a full body I would recommend at least a 1 day break in between each session.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    If you have the shred dvd why not alternate it with this one? I'm planing on doing the shred, no more trouble zones and burn fat boost metablotism in rotation right throgh January.

We have a Jillian Michaels January challenge group going on this board, feel free to join us:flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/143485-jillian-michaels-january-challenge
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I lift 6 days a week, although one of those days is core. My workout routines take about an hour and only 1 body part at a time.
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I think it's not that you shouldn't strength train every day at all, but more that you should make sure you're not training every muscle group every day. So suppose you did upper body on Mondays, lower body on Tuesdays, your core on Wednesdays, day off and then repeat for Friday Saturday and Sunday that should be fine because each muscle group is getting 2 day breaks in between (more or less - some exercises may use various muscle groups but whatever..). That's my understanding anyway and that's what I do so hopefully it's fine!
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    O, and also, I don't know how the 30 day shred works but maybe different muscles are targeted on different days? Either way, I agree with kate1500 - maybe you can alternate? Doing the same routine everyday until February may not get you the best results
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You could lift every day if you wanted...Just work different muscle groups each day so you don't over work them.