When to increase resistance?

Options
I do weighted push ups because I don't have access to a gym as of yet. I started off with my body weight. I have just changed to wearing a 5lb bag and I can only do about 1 rep with it and do about 3 sets of these 3x a week. When should I increase the weight?

Replies

• TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I increase my weight when I can do six reps.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You do 3 sets of 1 rep?

How many could you do without the weight?
  • david2133
    david2133 Posts: 58
    Options
    You do 3 sets of 1 rep?

How many could you do without the weight?

I can do about 5-6 full pushups where my chest is very close to the ground. I can do about another 4-5 after that on my knees.
    With the weight I do one proper pushups and then after that I do half pushups and knee pushups which equals to about 10 reps maybe but only about 2 of those 10 reps would be proper pushups.

Also, would weighted lunges, squats,tricep dips, planks and crunches all cover the major muscle groups? Am I missing anyway. I'm looking for home exercises.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    If it was me I would build up to more reps with just body weight, until I could more many more reps and then add weight to them. You can also do different types of push ups, which makes them harder. For example I can do 50 consecutive wide arm push ups but barely 12 with my arms in a narrow position, as it works the triceps more and I have weak triceps.

The other exercises are great too. Have a search on the internet for a body strength routine/program.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If it was me I would build up to more reps with just body weight, until I could more many more reps and then add weight to them. You can also do different types of push ups, which makes them harder. For example I can do 50 consecutive wide arm push ups but barely 12 with my arms in a narrow position, as it works the triceps more and I have weak triceps.

The other exercises are great too. Have a search on the internet for a body strength routine/program.

This...

I would want to be able to do 20+ good form full press ups before bothering to add weight....
  • AusEliza
    AusEliza Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that aiming for 15+ is a good sign to increase resistance.