Gained 2 lbs...just can't seem to lose??

Options
Can someone please take a look at my diary from the beginning of April. With the exception of 4/17 everything is as accurate as I could get it. I've tried only eating back about half my calories or working out extra to make up for days I over ate my goal. A bit earlier this week my scale said I'd lost another 2 lbs (only having lost 2lbs since I started back in March) and I thought I'd finally broke through, but now it seems I've gained it back. I'm getting so flustered. I don't know if I'm working out too much or if I'm eating the wrong stuff. This past week I've tried focusing on increasing my protein and decreasing my carbs. My mom suggested having my thyroid looked at (apparently we have a family history with it). I have been noticing a decrease in my measurements but I still just don't get why there's NO movement on the scale at all. I would think I'd see some movement though. I'm really not trying to be obsessive about it, I just don't understand it. I'm hoping someone will say, hey you're just eating high in protein and building up muscle, that's why your weight's not dropping, but I'm worried that's not the case and it could be something with my thyroid.

Replies

• JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm not very good at picking out diary problems because I eat naughty foods daily and my macros are probably not up to snuff.....Having said that, I have eaten below my calories most days and it's working.

2 weeks ago, I weighed myself and my scale said I had gained a pound. Yesterday I weighed again and lost 3. Basically, one day of your scale saying you've gained in most likely not true. It could be water weigh fluctuations or a couple other factors (TOM, bowel movements). Don't stress about it! Keep doing what your doing and the numbers will go down. If nothing happens after 4-6 weeks, then reevaluate.

But, if you are concerned about your thyroid....get that checked out first.

Oh, and because it will be said multiple times here probably, you didn't gain 2 pounds of muscle....from what I know, you need to eat at a surplus to gain muscle, not at a deficit :)

And if your measurements are changing, that's awesome! You're doing the right thing! Put your scale away for another 2 weeks and then jump on again....or don't if the numbers stress you out.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. It's good that you're taking measurements. Take photos, too.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

As for your diary:
    • You only have 38 lb. to go. Set your goal to 1 lb. per week—which is way more than 1,200 calories.
    • All those frozen dinners have lots of sodium. Cook on the weekends, use the recipe builder http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/box and freeze individual portions.
    • You're not weighing everything.
    • Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. There are big holes in your diary.
  • prairiewinds
    Options
    I don't know if you exercise but you need to do that to lose weight. I would get your thyroid checked if you are worried about it. We have that issue in our family and it does impact your health. I don't have a thyroid issue at this time but they check mine all the time because of the family history. What I notice is that you eat processed foods. I have lost 11 pounds since Christmas. I exercise 6 days a week (either Jillian Michael's or I go to Jazzercise). I have found things that I like to do for exercise. I try to eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch. When it is dinner, I might avoid the carbs and just eat the protein and vegetables. My kids are the ones that need the carbs. You didn't say how tall you are, either.
  • prairiewinds
    Options
    I don't know if you exercise but you need to do that to lose weight. I would get your thyroid checked if you are worried about it. We have that issue in our family and it does impact your health. I don't have a thyroid issue at this time but they check mine all the time because of the family history. What I notice is that you eat processed foods. I have lost 11 pounds since Christmas. I exercise 6 days a week (either Jillian Michael's or I go to Jazzercise). I have found things that I like to do for exercise. I try to eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch. When it is dinner, I might avoid the carbs and just eat the protein and vegetables. My kids are the ones that need the carbs. You didn't say how tall you are, either.
  • Othelie24601
    Options
    Give it a little more time. Depending on what your diet and exercise was before, but your body might still be adjusting to the new regime, it's only been 19 days.

So try for the rest of the month and then adjust if nothing changes. Also, try measuring as well to get a better picture of how your body is changing.
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    Your diary looks ok,What's your exercise regime?
  • blearyspecs
    blearyspecs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You're burning a lot of calories through excercise. How are you estimating that burn? Are you using a heart rate monitor?
  • cemithballstar
    cemithballstar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi. I looked at your diary and I'm wondering if it is maybe a lot of sodium in your diet with the frozen meals? That could be making you carry some extra fluid around.. However, I think it's a good sign that you've lost inches. It's not always the scale that measures your success. Maybe try eliminating the frozen meals for a day or 2 and see if that makes a difference on the scales. Hope this helps! Best of luck to you!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Oh, and because it will be said multiple times here probably, you didn't gain 2 pounds of muscle....from what I know, you need to eat at a surplus to gain muscle, not at a deficit :)

I don't eat at a surplus, in fact, I'm usually 250-300 calories under my calorie allowance and I GUARANTEE you I've gained muscle since I began lifting a month ago, because I can see and feel it.

OP, instead of only using the scale, especially since you're working out a lot, try measurements along with the scale. I thought I was at a plateau recently but lost like 2 inches around my waist, gained some inches in my arms (muscle - I can tell 'cause they don't flap like a flying squirrels anymore! :laugh: ) and lost an inch or so in my thigs, etc. Using the scale is fine but use a tape measure along with the scale. I think you'll get a more accurate reading.

ETA: Oh, yeah, and stop weighing every day. The weight fluctuations will just make you crazy! :flowerforyou:
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options

I don't eat at a surplus, in fact, I'm usually 250-300 calories under my calorie allowance and I GUARANTEE you I've gained muscle since I began lifting a month ago, because I can see and feel it.

OP, instead of only using the scale, especially since you're working out a lot, try measurements along with the scale. I thought I was at a plateau recently but lost like 2 inches around my waist, gained some inches in my arms (muscle - I can tell 'cause they don't flap like a flying squirrels anymore! :laugh: ) and lost an inch or so in my thigs, etc. Using the scale is fine but use a tape measure along with the scale. I think you'll get a more accurate reading.

ETA: Oh, yeah, and stop weighing every day. The weight fluctuations will just make you crazy! :flowerforyou:

I have no doubt that your muscles that you currently have are getting more toned and defined, but to gain muscle (which means it wasn't there before), eating at a deficit like the one the OP is eating at is not going to put on 2 pounds of muscle in the short time she's been working out.

Obviously lifting will wake up the muscles you already have in your body, as it has in mine as well, but 2 weeks ago when my scale went up, it wasn't because I gained a pound of muscle. I'm gaining strength, but not new muscle and that isn't going to show on the scale.

Hopefully I explained it better this time, and I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time in my life lol).

Edited because I apparently can't watch tv and spell at the same time haha.
  • Supergirl9801
    Options
    I work out 5-6 days a week for at least 30 minutes a day (usually closer to an hour on average). I'm 5'6". I don't use a HRM (wish I had one though) so I try to only eat back half my calories. My routines are high intensity cardio though too. I usually do Jillian Michael's RI30 and another kickboxing class.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I work out 5-6 days a week for at least 30 minutes a day (usually closer to an hour on average). I'm 5'6". I don't use a HRM (wish I had one though) so I try to only eat back half my calories. My routines are high intensity cardio though too. I usually do Jillian Michael's RI30 and another kickboxing class.
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit, and your logging is so sloppy that you honestly have no idea how many calories you're eating.

Buy a digital food scale, and weigh everything you eat. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Learn to find reliable database entries.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,170 Member
    Options
    I have been noticing a decrease in my measurements but I still just don't get why there's NO movement on the scale at all.

Why so focused on the scale number. People don't see that, they see the measurements. Frankly, body measurements are a much better tool for tracking progress than the scale. Likely what is masking the fat loss is water retention which can happen for a whole host of reasons. If by saying your measurements are decreasing that means you are actually taking them, then keep doing so. If you are not, start. There are a number of threads on MFP where women show pictures of themselves where their weight has gone up, but measurements gone down. Frankly, they all look better, even though the scale it higher. Stop focusing on the scale.