College Students Starting Fitness: Starting Tips

Options
Hey everyone,
I am recently new the MFP, I just started this about last week. I guess I can thanks all the fitness motivation on Youtube that kind of gave me a push into fitness and having a healthy lifestyle. :bigsmile:

Please introduce yourself and maybe share possible fitness goals/ work out routine, and how you started your journey. I would like to get to know people on MFP for support and motivation to my journey of having a healthier lifestyle.

A little bit about myself:
*college students with a major in Biology/pre-med
*Junior in College
*20 yrs old
*CW:121 and current BMI: 21.5%
*GW: 110-118 (Depends) and Goal BMI: 18%

I have a pretty busy schedule for this semester with 7:45 am class every M-W-F, and our gym doesn't not open up until about 8 am. :( So it's going to be hard to get into the gym, specialty since most sports teams are do weightlifting in the day, but for starting out I will just use my 5 or 10 pound dumbbells. Currently I am doing the Spartacus Challenge, which made me sore from yesterday:laugh::ohwell: , but I want to do something with a trainer or a fitness pal. For right now, I am starting the 30 day bodyrockertv challenge from Lisa-Marie, I have seen some pretty good results from people who have done it. :happy:

After doing the Spartacus Challenge, I want to do the Body Rocker tv 30 day challenge just because it is shorter with someone workout along with you via video, but I'm still sore from the Spartacus Challenge yesterday. Would it be ok to start the 30 Day Challenge today or should I wait until tomorrow?

Replies

• csontos
    csontos Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm a biomedial sciences major, public health minor.
    Graduating in May and starting my MPH in the fall.
    21 years old. CW is 176, BMI is 33.something%

This is my slowest semester ever in terms of classes, so I have a lot of free time. I don't really like to use my school's rec center though. It's SO crowded all of the time and I hate fighting with people for equipment, so I mainly just do things at my apartment.
  • calicocalico
    Options
    Hey I am a physiology student.
    CW 118
    GW 110-105
    I gained weight on medication so want to lose a little bit, tone up and be healthier.
    I go to the gym on average about twice a week, and play badminton once a week.
  • BRA_S
    BRA_S Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Music major. SW:229 CW:212 GW:140
    Working out 6 days a week. Eating around 1800 cals a day. Aiming for 1-2 pounds a week of loss.
  • tgmichelleee
    tgmichelleee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Computer Science Major on Pre-med Track
    Height: 5'9
    HW 205+
    CW 176
    GW 135 ish or when I feel comfortable

Major Goals: Currently training for my first Tough Mudders and Half Marathon.

Workouts: I love my cardio and Beast Mode Thursday is a thing. I work out 2-4 times a week and I make sure to include lots of running and accessory cardio (cycling, rowing, elliptical). I also do weight training and plan to add Crossfit in May when school's out.

Diet: I live an intermittent fasting lifestyle.

Why I started: I have PCOS and struggle with Binge Eating which is why I started MFP specifically for the community aspect of it, but I'm no stranger to diets and weightloss. I also have getting fit on my bucket list for this year, so definitely looking to be able to cross this off :)
  • vitanova
    vitanova Posts: 3
    Options
    Psychology & BFA Sculpture
    Height: 5'3''
    HW: 136
    CW: 126
    GW: 115

Goals- I have a short term goal of cutting out diet soda, I could do without unnecessary chemicals. Plus I buy them way too often.
    Other goals are to get back to my high school cross country times for 5K, and find another half marathon to run.

Workouts: I take weightlifting workouts from Erin's Elite program on the bodybuilding website, and just started running outside again (finally, nice weather!) I don't have a set schedule..busy with class and interning during the day, then I have work some nights during the week til 4/5am.

This summer I have an internship over in TN, 40hours a week with set schedule. I'm thinking that's when I'll have a more so set schedule for working out as well.
  • thecass_withclass
    Options
    Just graduated, but I was taking social work.

5'2"
    BMI: 20.35
    CW: 110.4
    GW: 100

All I can say is, the gym is definitely your friend. I had a crazy final semester between one full day of classes, 3 days of placement and 2 days at work, but I always tried to squeeze in a gym day AT LEAST 2-3X/week. You'd be surprised how easy it is to fit into your schedule, especially if you live on campus. Plus, the gym probably offers lots of free classes you could take; my school did yoga, zumba and a training class for runners! I'd definitely recommend checking the gym out, even if you only go for 20 minutes a day :)