How to go from a size 14 in pants to a size 9?

Options
I'm not sure if this question can really be answered, but I figured I would post it here just to see. Okay so I'm not exactly sure how much I weigh, but I generally wear a size 14 in pants. At one point, I was wearing a size 9 and I felt good at that size. I don't know exactly how much I weighed then either. I am about 5'1 to 5'2 as far as height goes. So my question would be, how much weight would a person need to lose to go from a size 14 to a size 9. In other words, how much weight would a person need to lose to go down about 5 sizes in pants? Is there a round about guess? Or is this one of those things where it varies greatly(i.e. by more than 20 pounds) among each person??

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No, there is not a single answer for everyone, sorry.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether you tend to lose weight off your bottom half (especially belly) first or off your top half first, or maybe off somewhere else.

I assume you have size 9's somewhere. Start losing weight, not too fast, because it shouldn't be a huge amount. When they fit, stop losing weight. :P

This being said -- I would speculate that you might see it anywhere from 15 lbs (because you are short) to 30 lbs, but at your height I would be surprised if it were more than that.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body fat percentage.

Lift weights and eat at a deficit and you will lose inches.
  • ToughPeopleDo
    Options
    Interesting. I believe I tend to lose weight pretty evenly, but I will really find out once I get deeper into my diet and exercise routine.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    You're talking about two different things. Pant sizes are measurements not weight. Someone can be 140 lbs of lean muscle and wear a size 6 pants, another person could weigh the same amount but wear a size 14 because the weight is fat. The only way I know to burn fat is to work out.

ETA: Yes, I know. One pound of muscle = 1 pound of fat, BUT 1 pound of muscle is far more compact (because it's denser) than 1 pound of fat so a 140 pound woman with low body fat percentage and high muscle mass percentage will measure smaller than a 140 pound woman with higher body fat percentage and low muscle mass percentage.
  • Supergirl9801
    Options
    That's definitely a hard one because sz 14 is in women's and size 9 is in juniors. Juniors clothes are cut completely different than womens. Much more narrow through the waist/hips/thighs. I would opt for shooting for a sz. 8 in women's...this is dropping 3 sizes and would probably be 30 lbs or so. Just guessing on the lbs there. I know for me I lost about 15 lbs last year and went from a 12 to a loose sz 8. I've since gained back and trying to lose it again with a healthier lifestyle.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Definitely will vary from person to person, and how your body shape changes as you lose. To lose fat, a small calorie deficit is best. Exercise isn't necessary for losing, but it's helpful, and beneficial - some form of weights/strength/resistance training is great.

I went from a size 12 to about a 4 (depends on the clothing brand, I have sizes 2/4/6 pants and shorts that all fit about the same!) in losing 26lbs. My aim is to lose the fat and maintain the lean muscle, therefore the small deficit and workouts with weights.

I found this topic to be extremely helpful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Also good info here: http://www.livestrong.com/blog/lose-fat-without-losing-muscle/
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this question can really be answered, but I figured I would post it here just to see. Okay so I'm not exactly sure how much I weigh, but I generally wear a size 14 in pants. At one point, I was wearing a size 9 and I felt good at that size. I don't know exactly how much I weighed then either. I am about 5'1 to 5'2 as far as height goes. So my question would be, how much weight would a person need to lose to go from a size 14 to a size 9. In other words, how much weight would a person need to lose to go down about 5 sizes in pants? Is there a round about guess? Or is this one of those things where it varies greatly(i.e. by more than 20 pounds) among each person??

idk if this helps but it was true for me
    My mom told me its 25lbs to drop a pant size

I was a size 22 and went down to a 13/14 (if was doing squats it would have been a 14.. but i had no butt so i was more a 13)
    that's 292lbs down to 212
    but im also 5'11 so take that in mind :)
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    It takes me 20 lbs to drop a pants size. Most other women I know only have to lose 10 lbs to drop a pants size. As everyone else has said here, it's individual. There is no hard and fast rule.

Edited to add: I'm 5'3" if that means anything.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    The answer will be different for everyone.
    Personally, I weighed 202 in size 14. Now I wear a size 4 at 135 . But since everyone will be different, I don't know if that will help or not :-) good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Personally, I weighed 202 in size 14. Now I wear a size 4 at 135 . But since everyone will be different, I don't know if that will help or not :-) good luck!

exactly...I wore a 14 at 180lbs..and wear a size 5/6 at 157lbs...
  • ljb304
    ljb304 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I wondered this myself. I search for women with my same stats on mybodygallery.com so I could get an idea of what they weigh. Obviously it won't be exact as body fat % and build vary by women, but it can give you an idea.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options

It is amazing how everyone is different. All clothing brands are different too, keep that in mind. I'm 147, 5'4", and I have size 4 pants that fit the same as my size 8 pants. There is really no set amount of weight to lose to change sizes. Also, even sizes fit differently than odd sizes. I can wear a 6 and a 4 but can't even pull a 5 up past the knees.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

It is amazing how everyone is different. All clothing brands are different too, keep that in mind. I'm 147, 5'4", and I have size 4 pants that fit the same as my size 8 pants. There is really no set amount of weight to lose to change sizes. Also, even sizes fit differently than odd sizes. I can wear a 6 and a 4 but can't even pull a 5 up past the knees.

I agree...the 5/6 are areopostle jeans...my AE in the same size eh not a fan of...my silver jeans that are a 9 fit for 1hour...hehe

Old navy 5/6...

and it depends on if they are slim fit etc.