HRM

Options
Any advice on a good HRM would be appreciated. Do they all give calories burned? Are the wrist ones any good? Can I order one online? Thanks in advance for your help. Three months ago I didn't even know what HRM meant! Thanks to MFP I've lost 15 pounds and feel so much better. I would like some more supportive friends if you're interested, already have some great ones, but can always use more! I'm married and have three grown children. Will be moving to western Nebraska in a few months and am looking forward to going back into the daycare business. Love working with children and love the Huskers!

Replies

• changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I got the polar ft4 a couple of months ago, and I love it. I had no idea what they were when i started out 3 months ago. After seeing so many people talk about them, I went out and bought this one. I believe it was 80, and polar got good reviews from everyone. It's got the chest strap that sends your results to the watch. Now I don't have to guess how many calories i'm burning....because i've found that MFP overshoots on how many calories are burned, and the gym equipment tends to undershoot.
  • Centerstagekris
    Options
    I have the polar ft7. From all the researching, I think polar can't be beat. Mine was about 110 dollars. It also has the chest strap that transmits the data to the watch.. They are waaaay more acurate. I love mine and I think it will be one of the best investments you will make!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I got the polar ft4 a couple of months ago, and I love it. I had no idea what they were when i started out 3 months ago. After seeing so many people talk about them, I went out and bought this one. I believe it was 80, and polar got good reviews from everyone. It's got the chest strap that sends your results to the watch. Now I don't have to guess how many calories i'm burning....because i've found that MFP overshoots on how many calories are burned, and the gym equipment tends to undershoot.

I've had this one for a little over a year now and I like it a lot. I'm not sure if they make different styles of the same model, but mine is a slimmer style watch in ice blue color (a lot more flattering than the big bulky black one I used to have, if that matters to you). My only complaint was that about 6 months in, both buttons on either side of the watch broke off, leaving just the metal nubs so I had to operate the watch using my fingernail to push the nub.

This would have been a smaller inconvenience if I had not been so lazy and sent it in to be fixed right away, but instead I waited 6 months. But it had a 2 year warranty and it was very easy to fill out the form online and send it in. I mailed it on a Wednesday (just regular first class mail) and had it back in my hands, fixed and good as new the following week on Thursday. So I was very impressed with the longer warranty and how quickly they fixed it. I do think my button breaking off was just a fluke, but if you get one, make sure to keep the receipt and box so you can use the warranty if need be. I haven't had to yet, but I think you'll need to keep this stuff handy anyway to send it in for a battery change.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i have the Polar F6 - its amazing. it was about $100
    it comes with the watch,and chest strap which i highly recommend getting because it makes your heart rate + calories burned more accurate.