Starting a cleanse today...diet questions

Options
hschiel
hschiel Posts: 17 Member
I purchased a 14 day cleanse from GNC. Looking over the legal/illegal foods, dairy is not allowed. I'm curious what the consequences would be if I still ate yogurt? The included diet suggestions say to use soy alternatives, but I the grocery stores in my area don't offer soy yogurt. Would I be defeating the cleanse if I still consume some dairy products?

Also, there is an emphasis on fresh produce. It's a good idea anyway, but frozen vegetables are prohibited. I tend to buy frozen veggies because it cuts down on waster. I don't always cook when I plan, and end up throwing away produce when it doesn't get used in time. Is this defeating the cleanse?

I also can't seem to find any info on whether or not protein drinks are legal. I've been drinking protein shakes in the morning. Will I have to stop that?

If any of you have done something similar to this cleanse can you enlighten me?

Thanks!

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Return it to GNC get your money back, log your food, get some exercise. Your body does this all on it's own without some overpriced junk.

Only additional thing you might want to buy for cleansing your body is soap. Good luck
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Might as well get in early on this one.

early_bird_gets_the_worm.jpg
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Thinking of food as legal and illegal is what got me in trouble in the first place.
    Eat everything you want within your calorie goal and let your body do the rest.
    Best is a nice balance of lean proteins, healthy fats, veggies and fruits with some whole grains and treats thrown in for luck!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Cleanses are a waste of time and money. You liver, kidneys, and other organs do a fine job of cleansing you without these pricey "cleanses" that don't actually do anything.
  • hschiel
    Options
    Returning not really an option at this point. My boyfriend purchased his cleanse last week. He's having GI issues he thinks a cleanse might help with. He opened his box and noticed the diet plan. Thought it would be easier if I did it with him. I'm not terribly excited about it. I've read reviews...stomach cramps look like fun! Anyway, since I've agreed to do it, I just wanted to make sure I didn't go so far out of the diet recommendations that I made the whole thing a wash.
  • paulakabrownegg
    paulakabrownegg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    if i am not mistaking the same bottle also states to contact doctor and do not take if you have GI problems.... Your boyfriend needs to look into this a little more.. I will not say dont do etc... that is your decision i just think you and him may want to do some research before taking meds you know nothing about..
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Returning not really an option at this point. My boyfriend purchased his cleanse last week. He's having GI issues he thinks a cleanse might help with. He opened his box and noticed the diet plan. Thought it would be easier if I did it with him. I'm not terribly excited about it. I've read reviews...stomach cramps look like fun! Anyway, since I've agreed to do it, I just wanted to make sure I didn't go so far out of the diet recommendations that I made the whole thing a wash.

If he's having issues how about seeing a doctor. And sorry there is no guy or person I like enough to suffer through a needless cleanse.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options

If he's having issues how about seeing a doctor. And sorry there is no guy or person I like enough to suffer through a needless cleanse.

Exactly. Rather than doing a useless cleanse and perhaps having a major medical issue neglected, go see a doctor and have it checked out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you eat yoghurt, you will die.... It's in the small print.... Honest.....
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    :frown:
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

for GI issues I'd recommend looking into the book "Why Stomach Acid is Good For You" by Dr Jonathan Wright. He's been treating people with everything from acid reflux to crohn's for decades and this book legitimately changed my life.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I wish I had bookmarked the thread but there was someone on another topic like this who did a cleanse and had GI issues AFTER the cleanse because he added food back too fast. If your BF is having GI issues before the cleanse then I don't think the cleanse is going to work. I think a doctor is the best answer here.

Also, I would never do a cleanse to support him. I would never do a cleanse, period. Learn to eat right and in moderation and let your body cleanse itself.
  • hschiel
    Options
    Seeing a doctor is probably not a bad idea either. I won't argue that point. But this is his first real attempt at trying to alter his diet in a measurable way, so I'll suffer some abdominal pain to support that. I think the reality is, is that his issues are really diet based anyway. So, having decided that we're going through with the cleanse, is there any input regarding my initial questions of whether or not dairy is 100% bad? Same with protein shakes?
  • hschiel
    Options

Why is there not a like button?
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it's a vegan thing. The purpose is usually to rid you body of sprocessed ugar, processed carbs, and other cravings. If your going to go right back to eating those things, then you probably shouldn't do the cleanse. If your transitioning to a cleaner way of eating, then it's a way to help ease the transition.

If it is vegan, then dairy would be a big no no. Soy yogurt is also high in sugar so I would not recommend that. Maybe a vegan protein powder with almond milk if your really worried about it. You can also make small snacks to get you through the day.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Exactly. Rather than doing a useless cleanse and perhaps having a major medical issue neglected, go see a doctor and have it checked out.
    I'm with the sensible folk. The cleanse may cause sickness and will not add to health. If you're not eating enough you will lose water weight short term, and will then gain it back easily. Seriously, throw it in the garbage.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Well yeah, I thought everyone knew this?!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Seeing a doctor is probably not a bad idea either. I won't argue that point. But this is his first real attempt at trying to alter his diet in a measurable way, so I'll suffer some abdominal pain to support that. I think the reality is, is that his issues are really diet based anyway. So, having decided that we're going through with the cleanse, is there any input regarding my initial questions of whether or not dairy is 100% bad? Same with protein shakes?

So he's ready to alter his diet how about doing it in a healthy way, not something that will be a waste of time, and could possible aggravate the issues he already has. Get him signed up for an account on here, help him log his calories, and get with a doctor on the GI issues.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

dairy isn't inherently bad per se, but the way we process it and package it in the states really takes away from much of its benefit. additionally it creates a mucosal response in a lot of people - even people who aren't lactose intolerant. It's up to you though - typically I would ditch the dairy for these purposes. Is the yogurt to eat on its own or to use in shakes? Because if it's in shakes you can substitute kefir which is similar to yogurt but completely lactose free, and it's full of probiotics.

All that said... I'm not anti-cleanse like the majority of the pitchfork-wielding masses here at MFP, but I will say GNC products are not my fav. They usually have extra crappy ingredients, are overprocessed, and cost more money. However, you've already got the stuff, so I'd say go for it. Nothing to lose, and if it can help get your (husband right?) in the right mindset for deciding it's time to take care of himself, that's a potential huge gain.

You never get anything from doing nothing, so what's the worst thing that happens by trying it?