Improved eating

Options
I have had a problem with binge eating for years...especially chocolate. It is not uncommon for me to eat 1/2 a bag of chocolate chips , or 10 Lindt truffles. (i.e., about 700 calories worth of chocolate) in the evening.

I started logging my food on MFP about 2 weeks ago. Since then, I haven't binged on chocolate. I've had some truffles and some chocolate chips, but in reasonable amounts (1 truffle, 30 chocolate chips) and logged them appropriately. Tonight I noticed that I had some extra calories I could eat. I thought, "Good, I can have some chocolate." But then I thought, "Wait a minute, I don't even want any chocolate tonight." Instead I had a piece of cheese and 1/2 grapefruit. Logging my food on MFP is helping me change my poor eating patterns of 40 years.

Replies

• KaeChelle77
    Options
    That is great! It really is eye-opening when you start logging everything. I'm glad it has helped you to make better choices.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    That's so great! Congrats!!! Hope you're proud of the progress you've made! and don't beat yourself up if you backslide every now and again. :)
  • kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It just proves that small changes matter :) I struggled at first when I ate differently, now I'm a lot used to it. Keep it up! :D
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Funny how when you "let" yourself have such foods, yet still be accountable for them, it can somewhat decrease your desire for those foods. Psychological thing! Lol.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! The biggest thing I've learned in my 460+ days on MFP is "everything in moderation". Nothing should be off limits. Great job!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Yay! Isn't that amazing how it works? Good for you! You are well on your way.
  • lavender101
    lavender101 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic, go you! Same thing has happened with me. I know that I'd rather see my caloric goal met, and not have to see it over my limit, so I've been making better choices in more controlled amounts. I have definitely had some slip-ups late at night that I've just chosen not to record, but overall, the change has definitely been for the better. Great job!
  • KristenMarieRuffles
    KristenMarieRuffles Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    good for you!! I have totally found this to be the case for me as well....when i have excess calories to use up I will gladly choose a cup of honeydew melon, or some light spicy hummus with whole wheat prairie harvest mini crisps, or a small apple with some banana granola peanut butter to dip....its awesome and totally boosts my confidence when i sit there and see a chocolate bar or sweet my hubby brings into the house and i can go right by it and grab a much healthier option! One of the things I have pointed out to my hubby too is how much healthy food you can have for the same amount of calories of a sweet!! He sat down with a passion flakie one night (over 300 calories alone!) meanwhile for the same calories (i think even a little less) I had a full dinner plate of different fruits and some hummus and crackers and a dark chocolate dipped nature valley granola thin...it was awesome to see how much I had been missing out on!
  • Healthydude01
    Options
    That's all it takes is a little will power. People are surprised what a change in their diet would do. Then when you incorporate a little exercise in the plan.... Look out!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. Wish this kind of logging tool was available 15 years ago. Being accountable every day with a food diary is eye-opening and helps me make far better choices, though I still slip in room for little indulgences. But that's the key...I make room for them, not just feel I'm entitled and eat a whole bag or box of treats!
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Same here. Logging my food is the most important step for me. I'd be lost without this app. Makes me think about what I'm eating. I love it!