Starting a cleanse today...diet questions

Options
2»

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I can tell you why dairy is not allowed because my husband had to do a cleanse for a colonoscopy, and frankly, that's the only reason someone needs a "cleanse." The lactose in dairy is difficult to digest (the cleanse might actually remove the enzyme that digests this) and may increase and prolong diarrhea. This is why people with stomach bugs are asked to avoid dairy for a few days until they recover. As far as frozen versus fresh vegetables, there's no difference. Frozen broccoli for example is just broccoli that is blanched (lightly steamed) and then frozen. As long as you stick with plain vegetables, no Green Giant stuff with the sauces, etc., you're OK.

I agree with other posters --- a "cleanse" is not a way to start a diet or healthy lifestyle. You start by eating healthy foods and exercise. You and the boyfriend will lose a lot of water weight, suffer a lot of gastrointestinal distress, and then when it's over and go back to eating, gain some of that weight back. By the way, are you taking time off of work for this cleanse so you can be near a bathroom? Make sure to bring a plastic bag for an extra change of clothes. Hubby just had to do it for only 2 days for his procedure. Good thing we had 3 bathrooms in the house. I think he had his cell phone and his laptop in there.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Returning not really an option at this point. My boyfriend purchased his cleanse last week. He's having GI issues he thinks a cleanse might help with. He opened his box and noticed the diet plan. Thought it would be easier if I did it with him. I'm not terribly excited about it. I've read reviews...stomach cramps look like fun! Anyway, since I've agreed to do it, I just wanted to make sure I didn't go so far out of the diet recommendations that I made the whole thing a wash.
    You can still return it. You can literally open and use the whole product then return it and say you didn't like it and they will give you a full refund. Just return it.

I love this site. Never too late to do something good for your health :happy:
  • hschiel
    hschiel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Returning not really an option at this point. My boyfriend purchased his cleanse last week. He's having GI issues he thinks a cleanse might help with. He opened his box and noticed the diet plan. Thought it would be easier if I did it with him. I'm not terribly excited about it. I've read reviews...stomach cramps look like fun! Anyway, since I've agreed to do it, I just wanted to make sure I didn't go so far out of the diet recommendations that I made the whole thing a wash.
    You can still return it. You can literally open and use the whole product then return it and say you didn't like it and they will give you a full refund. Just return it.

Didn't realize this. Will definitely consider.
  • hschiel
    Options
    Seeing a doctor is probably not a bad idea either. I won't argue that point. But this is his first real attempt at trying to alter his diet in a measurable way, so I'll suffer some abdominal pain to support that. I think the reality is, is that his issues are really diet based anyway. So, having decided that we're going through with the cleanse, is there any input regarding my initial questions of whether or not dairy is 100% bad? Same with protein shakes?

dairy isn't inherently bad per se, but the way we process it and package it in the states really takes away from much of its benefit. additionally it creates a mucosal response in a lot of people - even people who aren't lactose intolerant. It's up to you though - typically I would ditch the dairy for these purposes. Is the yogurt to eat on its own or to use in shakes? Because if it's in shakes you can substitute kefir which is similar to yogurt but completely lactose free, and it's full of probiotics.

All that said... I'm not anti-cleanse like the majority of the pitchfork-wielding masses here at MFP, but I will say GNC products are not my fav. They usually have extra crappy ingredients, are overprocessed, and cost more money. However, you've already got the stuff, so I'd say go for it. Nothing to lose, and if it can help get your (husband right?) in the right mindset for deciding it's time to take care of himself, that's a potential huge gain.

You never get anything from doing nothing, so what's the worst thing that happens by trying it?

This is the kind of info I was looking for. The yogurt I like as a snack but there's also a salad dressing that I make with it that I really like. If the lactose will interfere or make side effects worse, I'll see if any of our grocery stores carry kefir. Maybe that's a better alternative cleanse or no cleanse.
  • hschiel
    Options
    I can tell you why dairy is not allowed because my husband had to do a cleanse for a colonoscopy, and frankly, that's the only reason someone needs a "cleanse." The lactose in dairy is difficult to digest (the cleanse might actually remove the enzyme that digests this) and may increase and prolong diarrhea. This is why people with stomach bugs are asked to avoid dairy for a few days until they recover. As far as frozen versus fresh vegetables, there's no difference. Frozen broccoli for example is just broccoli that is blanched (lightly steamed) and then frozen. As long as you stick with plain vegetables, no Green Giant stuff with the sauces, etc., you're OK.

I agree with other posters --- a "cleanse" is not a way to start a diet or healthy lifestyle. You start by eating healthy foods and exercise. You and the boyfriend will lose a lot of water weight, suffer a lot of gastrointestinal distress, and then when it's over and go back to eating, gain some of that weight back. By the way, are you taking time off of work for this cleanse so you can be near a bathroom? Make sure to bring a plastic bag for an extra change of clothes. Hubby just had to do it for only 2 days for his procedure. Good thing we had 3 bathrooms in the house. I think he had his cell phone and his laptop in there.

Thanks for the info on the lactose. As far as weight loss, so far watching what I eat and exercise are working. He doesn't really have any weight issues. I think he just wants a reset on the digestive system.
  • rosebette
    Options
    What does "reset the digestive system" mean?
  • Popsing
    Popsing Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I have the same question. I've known a couple of people who had "GI upsets" that turned out to be colon cancer by the time they went to a doctor. And they BOTH died--males in their 40's in case you're interested.
  • hschiel
    Options
    Flush out all the stuff hanging out in there now and replace it with new stuff. I'm going to reap the whirlwind on this one, but the lady at GNC said it would help.
  • hschiel
    Options

I have the same question. I've known a couple of people who had "GI upsets" that turned out to be colon cancer by the time they went to a doctor. And they BOTH died--males in their 40's in case you're interested.

I lost my father to colo-rectal cancer. I'm aware.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Flush out all the stuff hanging out in there now and replace it with new stuff. I'm going to reap the whirlwind on this one, but the lady at GNC said it would help.

Of course the woman SELLING a product said it would help...

To be honest it sounds like your boyfriend needs to try cutting out dairy and gluten - on separate occasions, those 2 things are most common for giving people stomach problems. Though I also second going to the doctor to check its nothing serious.
  • rosebette
    Options

I thought that was what our digestive system does anyway, unless you have severe problems with constipation. Many of the advocates of colon cleansing are actually companies that market these products.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Then please quit kidding around with battery acid and march his butt to a doctor
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    waste of time and money. Don't do it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

Then you should also know that there's nothing "hanging out in there" that needs to be cleansed if you're having regular bowel movements.

If you want everything clean as a whistle, then schedule yourself a colonoscopy (might as well get a check-up if you're gonna drink the prep!) & ask for a photo of your innards. My hubby suffered through ulcerative colitis for years, and finally had to have his entire colon removed, not fun when the digestive system isn't working properly. You do not want to mess with "resetting" your digestive system. It needs to be continually functioning, and unless there's a medical issue, in which case you should see your doctor, you keep it continually functioning by eating good foods and drinking plenty of water.

Ditch the cleanse. Eat healthy. If your BF has issues, he should get it checked out.
  • hschiel
    Options
    I think I've got him talked into a check up. Still wants to go through with the cleanse. Thanks for all the input.