What is a good scale?

Options
Hi. I didn't know where to put this so I figured here would be a good place. I am semi new to trying to lose weight. I don't really know exactly how much I weigh. I have a really crappy scale that gives me a drastically different number every time I try to use it (I am certain that I have not gained or lost 30 pounds in the span of one day!). Anyway, I am looking to buy a new scale, so what scales do you guys use that actually give you an accurate weight??? Any help is appreciated. :happy:

P.S. - I am a college student, so cheaper is better, but I prefer a scale that is slightly expensive and actually works to a scale that is $10, but never measures my weight accurately.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I suggest trying Walmart.
  • Astronomically_Im_Tiny
    Options
    I find good accuracy and consistency in the Healthometer digital scale. I feel that the dial scales are not meant for big people. Every time I get on and off those things, it adjusts, so I don't trust their accuracy. But I tested two different scales that I had for about a week, and the one I use has consistent results, to a 5th of a lb*. Costs about $16 at Walmart.

Of course, you could always pay like 30 or 40 bucks and get one that somehow measures your BMI and other stuff, but I don't need that stuff, so I don't get it.

*It measures tenths by the evens: .2,.4 etc
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have the weight watchers digital scale got it at walmart for $20. It has always been accurate for me. Step off then back on a few minutes later and get the same reading.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    a measuring tape.
    cheaper and better than a scale.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    My digital scale came from a local pharmacy so it has their name and logo on it instead of the brand name, however it's very accurate and cost less than ten bucks. They claimed it had a 35 dollar value so it is probably along the same lines of the scales others are suggesting from Walmart, Target, etc.

Test your scale using a heavy bag of flour or sugar (unopened of course). Also, I find it helpful to keep my scale on a hard surface like linoleum/tile and always in the same spot. Don't put it on carpeting or a floor that feels "squishy" and padded. My mom lives in an apartment with laminate wood-look floors but they feel a bit padded and springy, and her scale is off.

I also like the measuring tape suggestion. Mine was a couple dollars at JoAnn's Craft store and is very durable.
  • ToughPeopleDo
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.
  • maryenav86
    Options
    the one I bought at amazon is on sale for $21.95 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00472I1V2/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It works awesome. I've had it 3 mos and have had no issues w/ it at all. And it goes up to like 350-400 lbs