Periods and weight loss

Options
This thread might scare the men away :P but they're welcome to comment.

Anyway, I was thinking...does anyone else find it a bit more difficult to keep up the healthy eating and exercise if they have their period? If so, what do you do to try and combat that? Anyone got any good tips?

For me the whole period thing is a massive kick in the teeth to my healthy eating efforts.
I always, always crave sweet foods more, feel less in control, and previously I felt a lot less like exercising at that time, more like staying in bed.

Example:
Yesterday I went shopping for something totally unrelated, and was that down/mopey from pms that without much thought about what I was doing, I purchased "Womens fitness" magazine, a large 700+ calorie chocolate bunny and two little tubs of Ben and Jerry's ice cream...little bit of an ironic mix lol. I'll get to what I did next in a minute.

Before I was using MFP, right before my period started the cravings set in massively. I used to always go and load up on an entire basket of junk at that time of the month and stay in bed...I would get heaps of chocolate, lollies, mousse, chips, cheese etc and I'd eat all of it in that night or over two days at most.

So anyway, my tips I'll add are:

-Avoid going to the supermarket, make sure you've got anything you need and don't have to do any trips to the store.

-If you find you get chocolate cravings, try a cup of hot chocolate made with raw cacao. It's got more benefits for you than dark chocolate, can improve your mood, and tastes amazing. I do two tsp sugar/1 tsp cacao, and 250ml milk stirred in slowly, then microwaved for 2 min.

-Make sure you've got healthy snacks with you/at home. Maybe plenty of fruit already cut up in a container if you're likely to crave sweet things, but not want to make effort. Perhaps some air popped popcorn, carrot sticks with dip, low cal sugar free jelly, whatever it is you prefer.

-If you do get a large quantity of chocolate or whatever treat, don't beat yourself up over the lapse in self control. Just when you get home, divide it up into serving sizes.

This is what I did with my giant bunny-I calculated how many cals a serving is, weighed and put them into sandwich bags. Seeing it was over 100 cals a 25g serve was a pretty good deterrent not to overeat it. Just making myself more aware stopped the mindless overeating- It's unbelievable for me that I've had it since this time yesterday and I've only had 25g of it haha...I've always been a whole block in one sitting kinda girl.

-Don't be afraid to still exercise, even if it is just going outside for a walk.

It's actually beneficial for the cramps and it might be good for improving your mood/stress. I prefer to still do some, because in the first couple of days my mind always focuses on really negative stuff super easily, and it is really good to take my mind off it. It's better for my partner as well lol...

Replies

• katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Great tips, thank you :smile:
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I've taken to working out even harder when it's around >.>
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I find working out difficult during that time. Actually, doing anything during that time is brutally uncomfortable. It's massively uncomfortable and adding sweat to the mixture just sucks big time! lol. I like the just walking suggestion. I'll try that next time. Joys of being a woman hey ladies? Lol.
  • bombshellcertification
    Options
    so glad you brought this topic up! I feel really drained & tired the days leading up to cycle, I get really hungry too, and way sensitive, indecisive and overall want quiet, peace & rest. I usually try to listen to my body and rest it as it feels as if its being taxed on overdrive. My stomach bloats like crazy over the last 2-3 years. (Im 44)

I worked out throughout my cycle this month, taking every two days off..The thing I notice (pretty sure peri menopause) is that my stomach will alternate between looking like it has muscle tone, to none at all and puffy. This has been happening more regularly, and my abs overall puffy. then will lean out (but not for long?!)

I crave chocolate and sweets too, and sometimes a steak or roast beef. I try to add iron rich foods in the weeks between.

Honestly, I have no idea what my body needs to respond to work outs lately. Its acting completely stubborn & puffy. I just started to log in food diary & work outs this week. I always go over sugar it seems, I keep getting messages that I have more than a few hundred calories to eat left, but I feel full.....so I think my harmones are wrecking havoc --I have always slimmed down with exercise & healthy eating, but not so much theses days....Ive added pilates with low weights,, building up to higher weights...

According to my food diary I'm not eating enough calories due to exercise burn, not sure how to remedy this when I feel full?!

I am open to suggestions...the hot chocolate & Easter Bunny dismantled will come handy tomorrow as we celebrate.

Best to all, Lisa
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have never really had the traditional problems of PMS/period binging etc but I will say after losing a lot of weight I have shorter cycles. And it happened pretty dramatically when I lost weight so I'm pretty sure it is not from age (I'm 37, have never had kids, and my periods are clockwork regular). I used to have a 29-33 day cycle and now it's more like 21-24 days...anyone else?

Although I also have lighter periods and less cramps so I'm cool with it.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I put on 5lbs or more of bloating. I get so cranky my DH hugs me every 5 minutes and tells me , without being asked anymore, that I do not look fat. I allow myself 2 extra chocolate kisses a day. I take it easy at the gym and in class. I should avoid the stupid scale but I'm trying to get a baseline for weight around my period. Ug! What a pain!

Yes, as I become have more muscular my period has lightened.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am on my period over Easter, which would normally mean my bedroom would be chocolate city for a week. But this year I will be better - my in-laws are not big chocolate eaters so there probably won't be any lying around unless we buy it. Which we won't. I am staying away from the scale, assuming I'll retain water, so that I don't discourage myself. I like the walking idea, since I dread going to the gym. I may still go over on calories, but it will be because of calorie-rich foods that other people have made, not because I have lost control and willpower, so I can just take it in stride and do better next week.
  • sushidulces
    sushidulces Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely! I get intense cravings for salty sweet things (read: Kettle Corn) and last night I binged on a bag of it. Of course, it only makes things worse, as salt furthers the bloat and sugar is never good.

I wish I could crave healthier things, haha! Maybe I should invest in an air popper. I usually only give into a craving once during the time, but it's pretty immense when I do. 500 cals, 50 carbs, 24 g of sugar in that one bag of popcorn I ate last night. I exercise to help rectify it, but really, it does nothing to help strengthen my willpower.

Yay, Uterus!
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    2 months in a row now, during that ooooh so special time, i have at each cycle finished a 200g diary milk chocolate bar in a day topped with tons and tons of crackers, it's like binge city gone wild!!. I eliminated the last bar in my house 2weeks ago but i still have crackers. Bring on the next cycle! I don't fight it anymore because i know i won't win and as long as i get right back on my journey 2days later, i'm all good again.
  • hpnut3239
    Options
    I'm in the middle of mine right now, which is definitely difficult with Easter coming up. Fortunately the chocolate cravings have decreased as it's gone on, but I definitely fell for them at the beginning. I just made sure that I always ate the chocolate in small amounts - mini Dove dark chocolates, mini chocolate eggs...
    I also definitely had trouble working out the first couple days. I wasn't feeling up to moving at all, so I ended up taking the dog on a mile walk. The weather's finally getting warm again, which is definitely helpful for getting outside an dmoving.
  • RobynSmithIBECHS
    RobynSmithIBECHS Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I find that when I am pm-ing I get cramps like a son of a b***h, so it helps me when I work out. Especially around finals time like right now. Also, junky food makes me sick during hell week, but a few days before I am game for a McDonalds binge.

I find that taking a good run/walk (about an hour) then eating a big salad (my fav. is kale, spring mix, onion, carrot, 1tbs feta, craisins and red wine vin.) staves off the cravings until the next meal.

Best of luck on the mensies

-- Robyn
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Those are good tips! I agree with them and follow several of them already.

I've recently concluded that I need to scale way back on exercise the first few days. I'd been noticing my BP (which generally runs low) ran extra low during AF and I would tend to get light-headed easily. My last cycle, I struggled big-time during my run the day AF was starting and 2 days later I started to black out during my morning shower and ended up at my dr's office for blood work. Turned out to be mildly anemic. They said that in itself wouldn't cause blacking out but maybe in combination with a drop in BP, hot shower, etc. I'm going to start taking extra iron and see if that helps but I may just need to keep it to a really easy run or just walking for those first 3 days.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Apparently the body craves magnesium when we're on our period.
    Do you know what's high in magnesium?
    Dark chocolate.

So, eating high magnesium foods during that time should help with the cravings.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I've taken to working out even harder when it's around >.>

Yup. Helps with mood swings (endorphins) allows me to indulge a little (hi salty/sweet stuff!) and makes PMS and aunt Flo's monthly visit that much less annoying.

My cravings are ridiculous though. Go check out yesterday's diary if you want to see some crazy. Chocolate for breakfast, lunch AND after dinner.

The thing that's the hardest, and it has nothing to do with diet and exercise is my mood. It's like a switch goes off about 10 days before that "time" and all of a sudden I'm a moody, cranky emotional mess. Cry at the drop of a hat, everything pisses me off... it's horrible. Exercise does help that a little.
  • q2313
    q2313 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have that to, the crazy salt thing... Potatoe chips are my down fall... I do have something new , which is fantastic. Chick peas, roasted.

A can of chick peas, rinse well, pat dry on paper towel. Mix 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil with garlic salt. Add the chick peas to mixture and toss till coated, spread out on baking sheet, roast in oven at 375 for about 40-45 minutes. After 20 mins, move them around a little . Good for you, 1/4 cup is a great crunchy salty snack
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I dread TOM because I gain approx 5lbs. I pretty much stop exercising and eat a lot more.A LOT more.I always feel sluggish and extra heavy. I put on 1/2 a lb on the first day without even eating anything.I had a "blood binge" this week LOL yes I really call it that. Felt awful afterwards.So much chocolate and smoky bacon. I am surprised I managed to walk/exercise 10 miles this week as I feel pretty disgusting :))

There are some excellent suggestions in this topic.Will keep them in mind for next month.

This might be TMI, but I see some women saying their cycles were lighter and less. How much weight did you have to lose for it to be really light?
  • bombshellcertification
    Options
    Love the idea of roasted chick peas home made for cravings...a little crunch & salt/oil! :) Thank you for sharing idea
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    It's not PMS or period week that get to me, it's when I ovulate. I want to eat like a mad woman, and not even junk, but just EVERYTHING. I just want to graze all day long for a few days.

Only thing that sucks about my period is being totally exhausted for a couple days prior and the first day of. It's really, really hard to workout but I still do it. Sometimes it just is a way worse version of what I'd do normally.

ETA: Oh yeah, I also LOVE to watch a super sappy movie and just cry it out. lol, I get really sensitive to everything the week before my period. Happy stuff, sad stuff, beautiful stuff. I once cried at a Downy commercial and I realized I had a problem. Haha.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I can eliminate all chocolate from the house but come that time of the month its like I am on autopilot and will go to the shop and buy chocolate and a whole lot more.... I cannot control myself, I cannot exercise as I fill a tampon in 10 minutes on the first day so am prettty much housebound and in severe pain, its usually the third day when I get mega cravings.

My period tends to last for up to 10 days and then another 10 days of awful brown discharge, the only time I can be really good and in control are those few days I am clear, my cycle is 28 so its roughly one week out of a month when I am not suffering.

GP says there is nothing wrong with me and that I am not menopausal, yet no matter how l;ow calorie intake I am and how much exercise I do I am unable to lose weight and am puffy like the other poster said..

the joys of being a 44 year old woman lol
  • AliceHogan
    AliceHogan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    God! This should of come up sooner, just been to Cornwall this week with the bf and I've been on and I always crave sugary fatty foods during and guess what's amazing in Cornwall fudge, it's mostly because I restrict so much when I'm not on, so its usually easier to give in to the cravings.
    Some of the tips I try and do
    - yoga or low impact exercise so it gets me moving and helps keep my mind off food, I can't stand heavy exercise when I'm on
    - also eating lots of fruit try get that sugary craving and skip the fatty side