Chocolate addict help!

Options
I've been using MFP for about three months and a bit and in january I didn't eat chocolate for the whole of the month but now I'm eating it again, i can't stop! I don't want to have to cut it out completely but I feel like every day I need just one piece of chocolate. It sounds really stupid but I was just wondering if anyone else struggles with this? I don't think Im actually addicted to it, I just really love it :( I need help finding a happy balance, anyone any ideas?

Replies

• cec1275
    cec1275 Posts: 1
    Options
    I know that feeling! I saw an Herbalist a month or so ago and told her that I felt that I WANTED to eat chocolate all day long. She said that it is my body telling me that I need more protein. I have increased my protein a bit and there are still days that I still long for the chocolate but nothing like it used to be. Maybe try to increase your protein to see if it works for you.
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    It doesn't sound stupid at all! I have the same problem. I'm interested in hearing others suggestions because I LOVE chocolate (I type this as I sit here eating chocolate eggs) smh.
  • aakl6710
    aakl6710 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling! I saw an Herbalist a month or so ago and told her that I felt that I WANTED to eat chocolate all day long. She said that it is my body telling me that I need more protein. I have increased my protein a bit and there are still days that I still long for the chocolate but nothing like it used to be. Maybe try to increase your protein to see if it works for you.

oo thank you! i didn't think of it like that, what kind of things do you eat to increase your protein?
  • cvenhorst414
    Options
    Look into eating a piece of dark chocolate a day. It is good for your brain, heart and has antioxidants in it. Very good for your body and also may help with the cravings. I do it and it works for me so I don't over eat; Eating a small, 1.6-ounce bar of dark chocolate every day is good for you. It also has to be no less than 70% coco and have no filling in it.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Suffering the same problem here too. Now I have 1 square of dark chocolate in the evening and dont beat myself up about it. Just take the calories into account, and as the above poster suggested increase your daily protein if you need to.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Most days I plan into my menu a piece of chocolate and a glass of wine. This keeps me sane! I have no more than the amount of chocolate I have pre-logged but I don't feel chocolate is banned or sinful!

I asked people not to bring me Easter eggs but if they had I would break it into pieces and freeze some - it's nice really cold but you need only take out of the freezer what you have already determined is your portion each day.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I eat a fiber plus protein bar (10g protein)/170cals most have dark chocolate on bottom. Helps my choc cravings.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate every night after dinner. I measure out one portion, put the bag away, and then sit down and enjoy.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you read my recent post titled something like Improving. Anyways, I love chocolate. I used to often eat 1/2 a bag of choc. chips after dinner or about 10 truffles. I'd be eating 700-1000 calories in chocolate alone in the evenings...not to mention the other snacks I was eating, such as salty nuts! Since I've been doing MPF, I still have chocolate, but I make sure it is within my calorie allotment. The other day I had 30 chocolate chips. Another time I had 1 Lindt truffle (not 10!). Last night was a really new event for me....I had extra calories left for the day. I thought, "I can have chocolate." But then I thought, "Hey wait a minute, I really don't want any chocolate tonight." I could hardly believe it. I checked myself several times again and realized that I didn't really feel like eating chocolate tonight. Instead I had an apple and cheese.

It really helps me to log my food on MFP. It also helps when I feel like binging to get out of the kitchen and get myself doing something, like read, sew, knit, call a friend, go for a walk, etc. In fact, today I am going to make a list of things to do when I feel like overeating. I am also trying to explore why I want to binge and overeat beyond full....such as stress, depression, frustration, etc.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I buy those bags of individually wrapped Ghiridelli chocolates. Those are Mom's chocolates. I hide them behind the liquor bottles, so if any of my kids find them, they're busted! :)

I think one has about 60 calories. They're expensive (and I'm cheap) so I don't eat more than one. I nibble it squirrel-style so it lasts for a long time.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    Yes, same problem here. I usually have a low cal hot chocolate drink for 40 calories. That seems to do the trick. I always allow myself chocolate at the weekend but just recently I have not enjoyed it as much as I used to. I now just have to break the habit
  • aakl6710
    aakl6710 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you read my recent post titled something like Improving. Anyways, I love chocolate. I used to often eat 1/2 a bag of choc. chips after dinner or about 10 truffles. I'd be eating 700-1000 calories in chocolate alone in the evenings...not to mention the other snacks I was eating, such as salty nuts! Since I've been doing MPF, I still have chocolate, but I make sure it is within my calorie allotment. The other day I had 30 chocolate chips. Another time I had 1 Lindt truffle (not 10!). Last night was a really new event for me....I had extra calories left for the day. I thought, "I can have chocolate." But then I thought, "Hey wait a minute, I really don't want any chocolate tonight." I could hardly believe it. I checked myself several times again and realized that I didn't really feel like eating chocolate tonight. Instead I had an apple and cheese.

It really helps me to log my food on MFP. It also helps when I feel like binging to get out of the kitchen and get myself doing something, like read, sew, knit, call a friend, go for a walk, etc. In fact, today I am going to make a list of things to do when I feel like overeating. I am also trying to explore why I want to binge and overeat beyond full....such as stress, depression, frustration, etc.

im glad theres so many people that struggle with chocolate cravings. for me its literally the only thing as I'm not mad on crisps or sweets. it sounds like having chocolate once a day is okay, i just need to make sure its the right kind, good thing is I love dark chocolate so I'm going to be trying this! its only become harder at home as when I'm away at university i don't buy any of it so I'm fine, but at home its about all the time!!
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Some other tips that help me. Before, when I used to binge on chocolate, I would pour a handful of choc. chips in my hand and gulp them down while I was walking around the house, watching TV or on the computer or reading. Now, when decide to use some of my allotted calories for chocolate chips, I count out 30 of them. I sit down at the kitchen table. I eat one at a time, letting it melt in my mouth. I try to really focus on enjoying it. I do not read or do anything else. After I eat the chocolate chip, I take a sip of water or tea. Then put another choc chip in my mouth and let it melt. Eating consiously like this slows me down. In fact, there have been several times in which I got bored of eating chocolate chips like this and wanted to go off and do something else, so I put back some of the chocolate chips. This is very unlike my old eating habits...unconsiously munching away and before I knew it half of the bag (and sometimes more!) would be gone. For a truffle, I just take a little nibble. Enjoy it. Sip tea. Another little nibble, etc. It probably takes about 10 nibbles to eat it.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Eat One piece of chocolate every single day! Don't miss a day! Follow your plan and watch and wait while you learn that you can reach your goal AND eat one piece of chocolate every day:)

(I've been successful even with my red wine habit. At least chocolate had a bit of protein and fat in it)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    in
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    unless you are diabetic I see no reason why you can't fit them into your calories
    make it fit and don't worry about it
    if however you are diabetic (or anyone else)
    I have a dannon light and fit yogurt (ha the lowest sugar)
    usually a vanilla or the toasted coconut and I add a spoonful of unsweetened bakers chocolate powder to it
    it is chocolatey and tasty and wont kill me
  • CeciliaSinc
    Options
    I have relieved my chocolate cravings with Dove Chocolate PROMISES Silky Smooth Dark Chocolate candies. Each piece is 42 calories. I get 5 - 6 bites out of each candy and let them melt in my mouth. The experience of this rich chocolate flavor cuts my candy craving.

Also like Wurthington's hard candies - 23 calories each.

Advantage: portion control, a lot of flavor per bite, feels like a splurge.
    Disadvantage: Can be too easy to grab one more...

An alternative is to eat Smokehouse Almonds - lots of crunch and the flavor usually knock out my taste for sweet.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    ITT chocolate addiction = No self control around chocolate.

Eat chocolate in moderation.

Blah, Blah, Derp.

Blah, Blah, more Derp.

Blah, Blah, chocolate bagel!!!!!