Help with blood pressure changes after/during weight loss!

Options
Hi all,

For those of you who got off blood pressure drugs after weight loss, How many pounds, months or whatever did it take before you were taken off a pill or pills?

I have only lost 15 pounds, but I have been eating better and exercising since the beginning of January. I complained to the doctor that I have been feeling dizzy and light-headed lately and asked if my blood pressure was low. She said it was a little high (top number) and would not change any of the medicine. I am on three different pills which is totally ridiculous. ( This also makes it hard for me to exercise as my heart rate resting is in the sixties and in the forties when I go to sleep!!) I've complained about that too... I was told to get a cuff and check it several times a day and then come back. Due to not having a job at this point in time, I have not been able to get one yet, and the dizziness is worse. Last night it was bad, so I put some salt in water and drank it, which seemed to make me feel better. Not sure if that was my mind playing tricks though.

In my diary I am always under in salt now. I don't want to eat more to up my salt right now- for the first time in my life I am making progress in this weight loss game and I want to continue. Can anyone give me any insight into the changes you went through with your blood pressure when you lost weight??

Replies

• scorpio3322
    scorpio3322 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    blood pressure so important , keep taking your pills listen to your doctor...I have had many strokes and I know what I am talking about....I am 100% sure you are not eating enough and thats where your dizziness comes from....but can't see for sure your diary is closed
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds and still had to take it. It is hereditary in my family. I know some that got off of it, but there are many like me as well.

Good Luck!
  • Binnee95
    Binnee95 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Never thought that it could be that I am not eating enough! That could be it too. I was about 1350-1400 calories the last two days but I exercised so I was under 1200. I raised it to lightly active 1430 for me but then I wasn't losing any weight... I borrowed money and got a blood pressure cuff on sale so we shall see... Going to wait until I relax a bit then take a couple of readings.
  • Cukkie13
    Cukkie13 Posts: 22
    Options
    It may be something else causing your dizziness. Perhaps get a second opinion or make an appt to get blood work done to check for deficiency in any vitamins or minerals. Hope you feel better soon!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Weight doesn't always dictate blood pressure. I'm 129 at the moment, and I'm on 40mg Lisiniprol since my bottom number floats around 105 when I'm not on meds. It could be genetics, or something else, making your bp high. I'd definitely stay on the meds unless your doctor says otherwise and try eating a little more. :)
  • Binnee95
    Binnee95 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Finally got my answer today. It wasn't low blood pressure, in fact, it's still a bit high. One of the blood pressure pills was slowing the heart down too much and making me dizzy. Going to wean off the metoprolol and change the pill and hopefully everything will be better. The dizziness had increased lately and I was exhausted and falling asleep after walks or any exertion. Even tonight I was dizzy on my walk.

As for eating more, I have started to eat a bit more than MFP allotted and I lost more weight in a week than I had before, so Thank you all for that advice!