Stay away

Options
I've been doing bad....very bad. But a treadmill is on it's way for my new home gym and I plan to change that in the new year. My question is, lately my husband and I have been drinking pop like it's going out of style. Once I got dedicated to losing weight two years ago, he was cool with only getting it when he was out, and not keeping it in the house.

But in the last couple months it's creeped its way into the house again and I drink it all the time. I've tried ignoring it, but an ice cold can of pepsi is my vice, seriously I could give up anything else but pop is the most difficult for me. I've tried buying stuff I don't like, but I get so desperate for anything that I'll drink it. Yeah I could buy diet or pepsi max, but I'd rather not drink it at all rather than just a calorie free version.

If I cannot convince him to live in a pop-free house, how can I avoid it myself? Should I start slow and cut down to like 2 or 3 a week or just go cold turkey?

Replies

• Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    id say if you just cant cut it out completely..reserve ONE for either lunch or dinner time..and try to drink as much water in between as you can....i avoid all soft drinks now but my husband just bought me a case of the Starbucks frappes and they're killing me!! they're in the house and im the only one that drinks them and i crave them knowing its ice cold in the fridge! and i hate throwing away food because all i see is money lol.... i just advise to cut down as much as possible....
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My hubby is the same way, knowing that bringing my all time favorite, Mountain Dew, is like kryptonite to me, he STILL brings it home. I switched over to diet, but I drank sooooo much diet the pounds began to creep on.

My new found cure to stay away from the pop is green tea, not sweetened. I found a brand at Target that is located by the Arizona tea's, no calories, no sugar. I drink that when I crave the pop - I seem to be able to curb whatever it is in the soda that calls my name, and I get an added pep in my step. If I'm looking for a little sugar, I add a little honey. It takes will power to stay away from the soda, but you're scale will show you that your hard work pays off!! Best of luck to you! :smile:
  • vickersja
    Options
    It is difficult when its in the house. Personally, I have to stay away from things as my will power isnt the best when it comes to food, but your husband should be supporting you in your fitness endeavor as your goal is to be healthy for a baby.

I would recommend talking to him and asking that if he has to have it in the house that it be out of sight, and he only drink it when you are not around. I know whether or not we eat or drink certain things is our own choice, but a supportive spouse helps out alot.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Sweet tea used to be my vice. I could easily drink a gallon a day. I went cold turkey after realizing just how many calories I "wasted" by drinking them rather than eating them. I ordered unsweet in a restaurant one night and my wife almost fell out of her chair! I'm still tempted from time to time by tea and soda (I'm a Coke guy) but I either remind myself of my goal or really SAVOR a single one and make sure to account for it in my daily number. Good luck :)
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am a computer geek and Mt Dew was my addiction. I made a compromise and switched to diet and allow myself usually 1 44oz'er a week. coldcaffeine.gif
    Over xmas I had a ice cold pepsi...and felt kinda dirty.
  • cheermom614
    Options
    My husband likes to sabatage now and then too! My vice is cupcakes! I have yet to meet a cupcake I didn't like!

My advice is show him how strong and determined you are about changing your habits and muster up all your willpower and just stay away. Even one or two a day is going to sabatage your healthy eating. The more sugar you consume, the more sugar you crave!
  • Floricienta
    Options
    Why not drinking diet, it's easier than just going cold turkey. Don't waste calories on pop!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    My hubby is the same way, knowing that bringing my all time favorite, Mountain Dew, is like kryptonite to me, he STILL brings it home. I switched over to diet, but I drank sooooo much diet the pounds began to creep on.

My new found cure to stay away from the pop is green tea, not sweetened. I found a brand at Target that is located by the Arizona tea's, no calories, no sugar. I drink that when I crave the pop - I seem to be able to curb whatever it is in the soda that calls my name, and I get an added pep in my step. If I'm looking for a little sugar, I add a little honey. It takes will power to stay away from the soda, but you're scale will show you that your hard work pays off!! Best of luck to you! :smile:

Oh that's a good idea, I really like those crystal light packets, we used to drink them all the time. Maybe if I get those in the house again, I'll be more apt to drink those, and maybe my husband will even want to cut down on pop if there is an alternative to water in the house.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Why not drinking diet, it's easier than just going cold turkey. Don't waste calories on pop!

Diet is Just as bad and Just as ADDICTING! Everyone handles addition different. YOu need to find what works for you.
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Never waste calories are drinks. they dont fill you up and a 32 oz (large) soda has as many calories as a fast food hamburger. I always think of calories like money and am always looking to get the most bang for my buck :wink:
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I drink soda every day. I haven't been able to rid myself of it. But i just drink lots of water during the day and have a soda with lunch. It helps me with my craving for it and i just don't really drink much else but water. I dispise diet soda. I have been able to avoid drinking my favorate which is cherry pepsi. I normally drink just regular coke and that is it for the day. Makes me happy i can have what i want but still stay in my calories. :)
  • kristinamayer
    kristinamayer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    We bought a SodaStream. They have them at Bed Bath & Beyond. It's about $100 to start. (Don't forget your 20% off coupon.) They have flavors that match the name brands. I LOVE redbull & vodka. It's only 40 calories for a redbull instead of 160. They have 60 flavors to choose from. It helps to quench the 'bubbly' craving without adding a ton of calories. My husband was hesitant at first because we are pretty good about keeping soda out of the house, but now we can have the healthy alternative to hve on hand for entertaining as well. http://www.sodastreamusa.com Just another alternative to try.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I've been doing bad....very bad. But a treadmill is on it's way for my new home gym and I plan to change that in the new year. My question is, lately my husband and I have been drinking pop like it's going out of style. Once I got dedicated to losing weight two years ago, he was cool with only getting it when he was out, and not keeping it in the house.

But in the last couple months it's creeped its way into the house again and I drink it all the time. I've tried ignoring it, but an ice cold can of pepsi is my vice, seriously I could give up anything else but pop is the most difficult for me. I've tried buying stuff I don't like, but I get so desperate for anything that I'll drink it. Yeah I could buy diet or pepsi max, but I'd rather not drink it at all rather than just a calorie free version.

If I cannot convince him to live in a pop-free house, how can I avoid it myself? Should I start slow and cut down to like 2 or 3 a week or just go cold turkey?

of all the bad foods for you, soda is probably one of my top 5 worst. Do what ever you need to do, but get rid of that stuff. Hypnosis, electro-shock therapy, poking holes in every can and bottle as soon as they come in, yelling at the hubbie if you have to, what ever, just don't drink that crap, it's SO bad for you. Worse than a cookie, worse than cake, worse than french fries... it's just bad stuff. Now Diet soda's, while controversial for some, are far better, no HFCS which is the big time nasty one. You can talk all you want about artificial sweeteners causing more cravings, or causing some kind of maledy, but without a doubt, the worst thing you can eat (drink) is HFCS (aside from alcohol that is, those two are neck and neck IMHO).
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    "Yeah I could buy diet or pepsi max, but I'd rather not drink it at all rather than just a calorie free version. "

You answered your own question. If you'd rather not drink it AT ALL rather than just a cal-free version - give it up.

I know that sounds kind of simple, but I agree with the one post, then, if you can't give up the full sugar version, allow yourself only one a day.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    of all the bad foods for you, soda is probably one of my top 5 worst. Do what ever you need to do, but get rid of that stuff. Hypnosis, electro-shock therapy, poking holes in every can and bottle as soon as they come in, yelling at the hubbie if you have to, what ever, just don't drink that crap, it's SO bad for you. Worse than a cookie, worse than cake, worse than french fries... it's just bad stuff. Now Diet soda's, while controversial for some, are far better, no HFCS which is the big time nasty one. You can talk all you want about artificial sweeteners causing more cravings, or causing some kind of maledy, but without a doubt, the worst thing you can eat (drink) is HFCS (aside from alcohol that is, those two are neck and neck IMHO).

I completely agree. Soda is awful for you! Don't drink it any more.
    Don't buy it. Have a conversation with your husband. If he buys it when he's out by himself, that's his issue. But if he brings some home, you should throw it in the garbage before it even makes it to the fridge. DON'T even tempt yourself!!! (And this way your hubby will know that bringing soda home will just waste money.)

If you're looking for something carbonated and sweet to drink, keep a few cans of plain club soda/tonic water around. You can mix that with some real fruit juice to get a bit of a kick.
    Just an idea, anyway. Good luck to you!!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    While I agree with the sentiment, I don't agree with making that change for someone else. Yeah...he is supposed to be supportive, but he has a right to live there also, and make his choices.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    While I agree with the sentiment, I don't agree with making that change for someone else. Yeah...he is supposed to be supportive, but he has a right to live there also, and make his choices.

maybe he has a right. But that doesn't make it the right thing to do. If he knows she struggles with soda, it's very inconsiderate of him to bring it into the house where she can access it readily. If I asked my wife not to bring soda into the house, and she did it anyway, we'd have a serious problem, there'd probably be an argument. Having the right to do it, doesn't make it the best thing to do. Heck I have the right to drink myself to death, that doesn't make it a viable option for me.