Bit miserable

Options
Yesterday I binged. I have a stressful job (I'm a children's social worker) and I ended up so busy I didn't eat for about 7 hours, so I was really hungry after work. I ended up in the McDonald's drive thru and had 3 chicken selects (3 pcs fried chicken basically) and some mozzarella dippers... THEN for some reason a cheese and onion slice from the garage across the road. Wtf?

But it gets worse. I could almost forgive that. I was too hungry which was the reason, plus although it messed with my macro goals my calories wouldn't have been too bad if I tracked and then left it. But no.

Once my partner left (for his very healthy exercise) I ordered garlic pizza bread and macaroni cheese and chocolate cookie dough from pizza hut. And ate it all. I did track (but then deleted) and the binge as a total came to about 2500 kcal! I didn't even really want it all and I felt horrible during and after eating it... but I ate it.

I don't understand. I've not had a binge that big in a while but still. Not losing weight makes me so so miserable so why would I do anything to make myself feel that way?? There is no rhyme or reason and it seems once I go a bit "wrong" I end up going the whole hog (horrible kind of pun thing there). I felt so pathetic putting the boxes in the bottom of the wheelie bin so my boyfriend wouldn't see, and I hate myself today.

I know I will gain weight as I gain it so easily. Partly it'll be water weight for such high salt food so I'm trying to drink lots of water. Not sure why I'm posting beyond feeling like it should be sort of out in the open....

Thanks

Replies

• emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Relog it so you have it for your records.

Treat it as an epic cheat day.

Start again today.

:flowerforyou:
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Just divide up the calories you over ate by and spread it out over the next few days, and eat less those calories. It's okay. We have up days and down days. Forgive yourself, and more importantly, work to get back on track. Keep on, keepin' on.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You're human. Almost all of us have slipped up along the way because we're tired, or stressed, or didn't eat enough throughout the day. Learn from it and move on.

You might see a slight gain on the scale from water retention, but it probably won't even set back your weight loss by much. Get back on your routine tomorrow and know that you'll do better.
  • rachael621
    Options
    Forgive yourself. Truly. I also experience emotional binges. I've learned to deal much better with them than in the past, and they don't happen nearly as often, but they happen sometimes. You mentioned you're a children's social worker. I can't imagine the the types of situations you must encounter at times. There are things that we all encounter in life that make us feel unsafe and unsure of the world and the craziness and incomprehensible pain that goes on in people's lives. That feeling may come more often in job like yours. What you do is commendable and there is a great need for your services, but keep in mind that because of the challenges you face in your work you must take care of yourself emotionally too!

It's 100%, absolutely, perfectly normal to feel the need to be comforted at times, and you deserve to be comforted. From what I noticed, a lot of us on these boards have used food for a long time to deal with emotion and the need for comfort. Understand that this is very common, and you don't need to punish yourself for this behavior. And you don't need other's to punish you. Recognize it for what it is: a coping mechanism for dealing with emotions, period. There are many ways to cope. Some are not so healthy, like binge eating unhealthy foods, alcohol/drug addiction etc. and those that don't cause you harm. Simply work to incorporate coping mechanisms into your life that don't cause personal harm.

So what have I done to better cope? Well, I've learned to better express my feelings to my loved ones. A good talk and a hug work wonders for me in times when I feel like I want to stuff my face with allll of the things! I never reached out to people until more recently because it felt weird and vulnerable, but the more I've done it, the easier it's been. And I've found that in doing this people open up to me more and I'm able to provide for them what they provide for me: comfort, love, acceptance, understanding. People can't help if they don't know anything is wrong. I've visited a therapist for issues that I didn't feel comfortable talking to my loved ones about, which I highly recommend.

Feel your feelings. Don't block them. It took me a long time to be able to a.) recognize what I was feeling, and b.) allow myself to feel whatever it was that I was feeling, but with practice it get's easier. The way I "feel my feelings": Personally, I wait for a physical response. If I'm sad or hurt or angry I usually cry or my breathing changes whatever. Whatever the emotion I try to let the physical symptoms come and pass and I usually feel better then. I never really did that often enough before. I was like a zombie holding it all in usually stuffing it in with food. Anyway, blah, blah, blah

tl;dr Forgive yourself. This is not a punishable offence. You're wonderful for the work you do. Love yourself, love others, take it one day at a time, you will reach your goals, everything will be okay *hugs* :heart:
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    With the type of work you do, you probably see some pretty awful things. Maybe something that you saw or recently dealt with is working on your psyche and you need to talk to someone about it.

Some healthy snacks at your desk may help prevent bingeing after work. I'm sure you've heard it before, but exercise is a great way to relieve stress.

I wish you better days ahead.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Some perspective on this, 2500 calories is not that bad. Yes, you will put on weight, but the vast majority will be water retained because of the extreme high sodium of what you ate. That water weight will take a while to come off, but realize this, for you to put on 1 pound of fat you need to eat 3500 calories over your maintenance. Taking your stats for the other post you made, even sedentary you probably burn 2200 or more calories, meaning you are say 300 calories over maintenance for the day. That is all of 1.3 ounces of extra fat. Yes, the scale will go up pounds, but it is all water. So get back to eating according to the guidelines MFP gives, and take this as a lesson that for you not eating all day, especially without a plan for how to eat after that, is a bad idea.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    All that and only 2500 calories? I thought I was "good" at the Cheesecake Factory and ended up with 1700 calories.

Forget it, and move on-->most importantly, plan the next day when you are crazy busy, stressed, and unable to get a real meal. Bring healthy food to snack on, or always pack a lunch that you would want to eat to keep you satisfied.

It is only one day. You have many more days ahead of you to correct this.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What everyone said about it not being so bad and just moving on and trying to think of it as one part of a whole week. But a couple of other things stuck out:
    Yesterday I binged. I have a stressful job (I'm a children's social worker) and I ended up so busy I didn't eat for about 7 hours, so I was really hungry after work. I ended up in the McDonald's drive thru and had 3 chicken selects (3 pcs fried chicken basically) and some mozzarella dippers... THEN for some reason a cheese and onion slice from the garage across the road. Wtf?

As you noted, this has an easy explanation--if you skip meals you aren't used to skipping and let yourself get really hungry, it's really hard to have willpower, especially if you had a bad or stressful day. In that same situation (which I sometimes fall into because of work too), I will almost always not feel hungry for my usual food (at least not until I eat a little bit to get over the crazy hunger and craving) and want fast food or sweets, even in some cases where I objectively would prefer the normal dinner if not feeling so tired and hungry and in need of easy comfort.

The important thing here is to plan for this so you don't get in the situation, even if that just means having nuts or a banana or whatever you like on hand even if you don't bring lunch, and--more important still--not to beat yourself up or overreact to the fact that you aren't above temptation and have normal reactions. Also, and I think this gets to what happened later, don't blow it up into something far worse than it is. Even if you do have a snack that's not normally on your plan or a dinner with more calories than you like once in a while, that's easy to fit into a week and you are human. It's a learning experience as to why it happened and how to avoid it later. It's not an "oh, I'm bad and ruined everything, so might as well go nuts" thing. Trying to be perfect too and being really harsh with yourself often leads to that kind of reaction, IME.
    Once my partner left (for his very healthy exercise) I ordered garlic pizza bread and macaroni cheese and chocolate cookie dough from pizza hut. And ate it all. I did track (but then deleted) and the binge as a total came to about 2500 kcal! I didn't even really want it all and I felt horrible during and after eating it... but I ate it.... I felt so pathetic putting the boxes in the bottom of the wheelie bin so my boyfriend wouldn't see, and I hate myself today.

This makes me wonder if you feel like you have to meet certain standards in front of your boyfriend and feel like he or his presence is putting certain restrictions on you when it comes to food, since you see him as healthy, etc. If so, that's something you have to deal with, whether it's just in your head or him trying to help by making comments about what you eat or whatever it is (I'm assuming here the positive explanations that come to mind). Again IME once you start thinking of something you do as done because of how others might react and indugence as a secret thing, it becomes really common to lose control when you have an opportunity to do so secretly, even if you wouldn't otherwise want to, because it's the one opportunity, etc. It really messes with your mind and self-control. Plus, it tends to wrap something like eating up in a feeling of shame and secretiveness that makes binging more likely.

I think to combat this, if I'm at all right and even if I'm not, logging is important--it's nothing to hide, certainly not from yourself, and facing stuff almost always takes away their power quite a bit. Also, your instincts to post about it strike me as good ones.
  • erzilie
    erzilie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i ate an entire bag of honey mustard pretzel pieces today (~1700 for the whole thing) and i don't even have the excuse of having a stressful job. i did it because honey mustard pretzel pieces are delicious and i haven't binged in about six months. no regrets. i diligently logged it in, got my array of sad red numbers, saw that it didn't even nudge me the slightest bit off course, chalked it up to a delectable but mostly terrible idea (wow i physically felt like crap by the end of it, MY JAWS HURT) and now it's back to business as usual. it happened, and in the future i will also probably cram more stuff in my mouth, because i literally can't think of a single person who doesn't do this on occasion. i watched a bodybuilder friend eat an entire 54oz bag of skittles in a day. (that is 2400 CALORIES WORTH OF RAINBOW GOODNESS.) my sister, who is aggressively thin and normally very on top of what goes into her body, has been known to slam down an entire large pizza on herself in one sitting. it happens! it's food, and food kicks *kitten*. on we go.

you have a couple sticking points, so walk with me here:

you're equating food with shame and embarrassment and self-loathing. you're making judgments about yourself based on what you put into your body. food itself isn't inherently bad or good. food has no innate moral rudders. it's just food. it's there. you eat it. the judgments, then, come from external and internal influences. the external: a world that hates fat, and hates anything that might lead to fat. if a thin person eats mcdonald's and pizza hut in one day, nobody bats an eye. it's normal. it's food. but if you aren't thin, then WHOA, WATCH OUT; suddenly you get slammed from all directions about all the millions of terrible character traits you must possess simply because you aren't what the overculture says you should be.

internal judgments are an aggregation of external judgments. look at the toddler: the toddler doesn't feel like the food they stuff into their mouth-holes with their stubby little hands is a moral statement about their character. dogs and cats don't flip their lids if they go over their daily caloric allotment. it's food! but you, as an adult, feel ashamed--you deleted it out of your log out of logging it, you say you felt "pathetic" hiding the boxes because you're scared of someone you love and admire making negative judgments about you based on what you eat.

your relationship with food is your own business. sometimes you have a stressful day and you're hungry and you eat a lot of food. what does that say about you as a person? (spoiler: if you answered anything but "nothing", you're incorrect! the food you eat on a stressful day says nothing about you as a person, because it's just food.) let food be a truly neutral entity in your life, and let yourself be open and honest about your food. claim it. yeah, you ate 2500 calories of stuff. get it up on your log, see those red numbers, and set it in stone. record it. say, "yeah, i did that and it sucked, but that won't happen every day." don't hide your food boxes because you're ashamed and you're afraid of people you love judging you. leave them in the open. if they say anything negative, SUPLEX THEM THROUGH A CAR WINDSHIELD. it's none of their business what you put into your body at any point, ever, period, end of story, and you don't have to put up with that crap. if they take you aside and say "honey, we gotta talk about that pizza hut box," tell them to get out before you turn into an iron juggernaut of rage. this is your body and your journey. nobody else gets to make commentary.

you know what your goals are, and you know how to get there. that's all you need. dips in the road are just that. if you turn it into something bigger, if you make it about character judgments, shame, and self-loathing--if you're only good when you're doing it right and you're bad if you aren't, if being thin is the only way you can be good and anything that isn't conducive to thinness is bad and you are bad for indulging it--then you aren't developing a healthy relationship with your body and the food you put in it. you need to be able to love yourself even when you have mcdonald's grumbling somewhere in your intestinal cavity. you have to be able to say to yourself, "yo gurl, even mozzarella sticks swimming in your corrosive body acids can't stop me from being fond of you." the more you let external expectations and judgments rule you, the more of a whirlwind you're going to create for yourself when it comes to food.

and i think we both know you don't deserve to be hated for eating some really delicious stuff. if you saw someone in a restaurant eating something hella bad for them, would you walk over to them and say "YOU'RE FAT AND LOATHESOME AND DON'T DESERVE TO BE LOVED"? probably not! they'd probably ask you to leave and maybe call the cops on you. society doesn't tolerate that kind of aggressive behavior between two separate parties. so why would you tolerate that kind of behavior from yourself -to- yourself? it's just food!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    i ate an entire bag of honey mustard pretzel pieces today (~1700 for the whole thing) and i don't even have the excuse of having a stressful job. i did it because honey mustard pretzel pieces are delicious and i haven't binged in about six months. no regrets. i diligently logged it in, got my array of sad red numbers, saw that it didn't even nudge me the slightest bit off course, chalked it up to a delectable but mostly terrible idea (wow i physically felt like crap by the end of it, MY JAWS HURT) and now it's back to business as usual. it happened, and in the future i will also probably cram more stuff in my mouth, because i literally can't think of a single person who doesn't do this on occasion. i watched a bodybuilder friend eat an entire 54oz bag of skittles in a day. (that is 2400 CALORIES WORTH OF RAINBOW GOODNESS.) my sister, who is aggressively thin and normally very on top of what goes into her body, has been known to slam down an entire large pizza on herself in one sitting. it happens! it's food, and food kicks *kitten*. on we go.

you have a couple sticking points, so walk with me here:

you're equating food with shame and embarrassment and self-loathing. you're making judgments about yourself based on what you put into your body. food itself isn't inherently bad or good. food has no innate moral rudders. it's just food. it's there. you eat it. the judgments, then, come from external and internal influences. the external: a world that hates fat, and hates anything that might lead to fat. if a thin person eats mcdonald's and pizza hut in one day, nobody bats an eye. it's normal. it's food. but if you aren't thin, then WHOA, WATCH OUT; suddenly you get slammed from all directions about all the millions of terrible character traits you must possess simply because you aren't what the overculture says you should be.

internal judgments are an aggregation of external judgments. look at the toddler: the toddler doesn't feel like the food they stuff into their mouth-holes with their stubby little hands is a moral statement about their character. dogs and cats don't flip their lids if they go over their daily caloric allotment. it's food! but you, as an adult, feel ashamed--you deleted it out of your log out of logging it, you say you felt "pathetic" hiding the boxes because you're scared of someone you love and admire making negative judgments about you based on what you eat.

your relationship with food is your own business. sometimes you have a stressful day and you're hungry and you eat a lot of food. what does that say about you as a person? (spoiler: if you answered anything but "nothing", you're incorrect! the food you eat on a stressful day says nothing about you as a person, because it's just food.) let food be a truly neutral entity in your life, and let yourself be open and honest about your food. claim it. yeah, you ate 2500 calories of stuff. get it up on your log, see those red numbers, and set it in stone. record it. say, "yeah, i did that and it sucked, but that won't happen every day." don't hide your food boxes because you're ashamed and you're afraid of people you love judging you. leave them in the open. if they say anything negative, SUPLEX THEM THROUGH A CAR WINDSHIELD. it's none of their business what you put into your body at any point, ever, period, end of story, and you don't have to put up with that crap. if they take you aside and say "honey, we gotta talk about that pizza hut box," tell them to get out before you turn into an iron juggernaut of rage. this is your body and your journey. nobody else gets to make commentary.

you know what your goals are, and you know how to get there. that's all you need. dips in the road are just that. if you turn it into something bigger, if you make it about character judgments, shame, and self-loathing--if you're only good when you're doing it right and you're bad if you aren't, if being thin is the only way you can be good and anything that isn't conducive to thinness is bad and you are bad for indulging it--then you aren't developing a healthy relationship with your body and the food you put in it. you need to be able to love yourself even when you have mcdonald's grumbling somewhere in your intestinal cavity. you have to be able to say to yourself, "yo gurl, even mozzarella sticks swimming in your corrosive body acids can't stop me from being fond of you." the more you let external expectations and judgments rule you, the more of a whirlwind you're going to create for yourself when it comes to food.

and i think we both know you don't deserve to be hated for eating some really delicious stuff. if you saw someone in a restaurant eating something hella bad for them, would you walk over to them and say "YOU'RE FAT AND LOATHESOME AND DON'T DESERVE TO BE LOVED"? probably not! they'd probably ask you to leave and maybe call the cops on you. society doesn't tolerate that kind of aggressive behavior between two separate parties. so why would you tolerate that kind of behavior from yourself -to- yourself? it's just food!

What a totally amazing post, and very helpful to me, since I relate to a lot of the issues with self loathing connected to food intake/weight. Thanks for taking the time to share this.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    All that and only 2500 calories? I thought I was "good" at the Cheesecake Factory and ended up with 1700 calories.

Forget it, and move on-->most importantly, plan the next day when you are crazy busy, stressed, and unable to get a real meal. Bring healthy food to snack on, or always pack a lunch that you would want to eat to keep you satisfied.

It is only one day. You have many more days ahead of you to correct this.

This. I have had much, much worse calorie totals on less food. That's actually very good, from the perspective of how much you ate.

As others have said here, you are HUMAN. One bad meal is not going to undo everything you've worked for. That is, if you don't LET it. Get right back on track starting at your very next meal (not 'tomorrow' or 'Monday', or some other day, the very next one.)

I have been where you are, and I'm sure i will be again. You can do this. :flowerforyou:
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am very near my goal and am what most people would consider slim (not thin, but close). Compulsive eating and binging is something I have had to work SO hard on, and I still have days (getting rarer and rarer) where I screw up and eat really random things from the back of my pantry for the hell of it - usually because I feel crap about myself and subconsciously want to make myself feel as bad physically as I do mentally. Guilt then follows (Sometimes a good crying jag), as does the promise to myself that it will never happen again and so on. Basically, you can't undo what you have eaten - so the only choice is to accept it and keep going.

I also work a stressful job (paediatric RN in an understaffed hospital) and work shift work and a lot of overtime. As you probably understand, being a social worker, I feel that most of my pep is used up at work and I tend to be a bit slack (and a bit of a hypocrite) when it comes to looking after me. However, I have found a few non-food things that help me immensely in coping with the stress:
    -regular exercise (cardio to angry music is amazing)
    -quality and quantity of sleep (I have been known to get only 2-3 hours a night, so I struggle with this)
    -drinking alcohol ONLY when in a good mood, never because of a bad day/incident
    -not carrying cash on me so I'm not tempted to buy take-away or snack foods
    -getting fresh air and sunshine
    -yoga and meditating (I suck at this, and usually end up thinking of random things….but always feel good the next day anyway!)

You can do this! The best advice I have been given is "Do it because you love your body, not because you hate it". This is something I try and tell myself every day. That and "My body is NOT a trashcan, so I'm not putting junk into it" hahaha.
  • Laurenlen
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you everyone. You have all made me feel so much better. And made me laugh as well as want to cry a bit that people have taken the time to respond. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

:-) xxx
  • deeforever
    deeforever Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to say thank you to all of you who respond to the OP's post. I'm in a similar position and feeling horrible. The suggestions given are a place for me to start over.
  • allangirl
    allangirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hooray, you had a binge day! Now, don't ruin the glorious memories of fattening food by emotionally whipping yourself. It never works for me (as a tool to not binge again) and probably won't for you. Tomorrow you will make better food choices. I have discovered that if I am going to go over my calories I am going to allow myself a guilt free indulgence because that is what I choose at that specific time.

As a side note, my highest free-for-all day was around 5,500.