high sugar fruit bad for you?

Options
I know that certain fruits like grapes and bananas have a lot of fructose in them. But is eating fruit like this bad for you vs. processed food with artificially added fructose? I can't imagine fruit being bad for you, but the total sugar thing in dieting apps doesnt distinguish between fruit sugar and other... Comments?

Replies

• ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Eat your fruit and include it in your daily calories. You can get a lot of fruit vs not much ice cream, for instance!:smile:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    What Sue said. Eat your fruit. I go over on my sugar every day, by the time i'm halfway through breakfast! Fruit has very little sugar, by weight, comparatively, because it's so full of water and fiber. It also comes with tons of necessary micro-nutrients, like vitamin C, among others.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, regardless of its source. It's also not bad for you.
  • Erinb211
    Erinb211 Posts: 2
    Options
    Ok, I will eat my fruit :)
  • pompomcarla
    Options
    I'd keep eating your fruit, as long as it's not in juice form it's a great part of your diet.

If you're ever eating dried fruit though, please check the ingredients for added sugar! :)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Sugar is only a problem if you eat so much of it that you crowd out necessary nutrition. It appears that the harping on sugar in the media has created a near-phobia of sugar among some people.
  • rainbowxelephant
    rainbowxelephant Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Omg. Not all sugar is created equal. Fruit digests differently than a cookie and has a far different insulin response. Eat your fruit! Just not like, 15 servings a day. Anything is bad if done excessively. Oh and btw, bananas and grapes have two of the lowest fructose levels of fruit. And bananas are actually berries, not fruit.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    With the additional fibre and other nutrients that other foods may not offer, fruit is probably the second preferable source of sugar (nutrient per calorie wise).

Log it, enjoy it and the key is moderation.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Omg. Not all sugar is created equal. Fruit digests differently than a cookie and has a far different insulin response. Eat your fruit! Just not like, 15 servings a day. Anything is bad if done excessively. Oh and btw, bananas and grapes have two of the lowest fructose levels of fruit. And bananas are actually berries, not fruit.

^ lol, we'll mark this one as "exhibit A"
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Fruit is good for you. I would even go on to say that no food is really bad for you if you eat in moderation. I need to eat more fruit myself:)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Actually, all sugar IS created equal. Sucrose, fructose, and glucose in fruit is identical to sucrose, fructose, and glucose in a cookie.

The next line is true, though, as the fat in the cookie will blunt the insulin response, causing a lower response than a piece of fruit. Of course, insulin response is completely irrelevant unless you have diabetes, so I'm not even sure why it was brought up anyway.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The next line is true, though, as the fat in the cookie will blunt the insulin response, causing a lower response than a piece of fruit. Of course, insulin response is completely irrelevant unless you have diabetes, so I'm not even sure why it was brought up anyway.
    You're quite incorrect here on the insulin response with added fat ... From the study titled "The effect of coingestion of fat on the glucose, insulin, and gastric inhibitory polypeptide responses to carbohydrate and protein." which you can read here: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/37/6/941.abstract

"... However, despite the lower blood glucose levels in the presence of fat the insulin response was not reduced..."

And this has been repeated MULTIPLE times.

It is true the overall glycemic spikes can be reduced by adding fat to carbohydrate, but the insulin response will NOT change.

That being said: OP - unless you have a reason to watch your sugar/carbohydrate intake ... eat your fruit if you enjoy it. That being said, the same nutrients and fiber found in fruit are all available in vegetables too, for fewer calories ...
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you, it's typically low in calories and highly rich in vitamins.As far as people saying that the sugars in fruit and cookies are created equal, I would say that I highly doubt anybody ever got overweight or obese because they had too much fruit in their diet, but cookies however... lol.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you, it's typically low in calories and highly rich in vitamins.As far as people saying that the sugars in fruit and cookies are created equal, I would say that I highly doubt anybody ever got overweight or obese because they had too much fruit in their diet, but cookies however... lol.

The sugars are created equal, but it's not the sugars in the cookie making you fat. However, it takes like 3 cups of grapes to equal one Subway cookie. Definitely not an equal amount/calories ratio.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I would say . . .

* raw fruits ok, as long as IFYM, and

* dried fruits not ok (except very sparingly, maybe similar to donuts, etc.), as they are too concentrated, and can also contain added sugar.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I would say . . .

* raw fruits ok, as long as IFYM, and

* dried fruits not ok (except very sparingly, maybe similar to donuts, etc.), as they are too concentrated, and can also contain added sugar.

dried fruit...donuts? What

DONUTS ARE CLEARLY THE SUPERIOR FOOD HERE AND DO NOT DESERVE THE SAME CATEGORY AS SILLY DRIED FRUIT

ugh
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    I only count raw fruit for it's caloric count, not sugar. However, I do count things with ADDED sugar against my daily macros.
  • marcusriedner
    Options
    It's all about digestion and how long it takes your GI tract to convert food into blood nutrients. Different fruits are going to behave differently, but in general we have breed fruit plants to be many times sweeter than their wild counterparts that we evolved eating. For example eating oranges can have the same physiological effect as ice cream.