How's your sleep? :)

Options
Sinisterly
Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
How is your sleep schedule? Mine seems to be extremely out of whack as of late and I cannot find a way to fix it, not to mention I have a very strange work schedule. (I was the dumb butt that chose my hours, so I guess only have myself to blame. Whoops!)

Soooo... According to my friend, I'm not "normal" lol. My friend tells me.. "Normal people are asleep right now" XD
I basically replied with "normal people suck!" Heh..

What do you do to fix your sleeping schedule?
I realize what works for some, may not work for others. And yes yes, I realize I can google it, but rather get responses from "real people" as opposed to some random online search. Don't want to accidentally be misdiagnosed with "brain cancer" >.>

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• kershaann
    kershaann Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel, I am in the same boat working nights,picking schedule based on senority. Sucks. It is difficult especially dealing with children at home. I do not have a normal sleep schedule either. I have yet to come up with a solution other than sleep when I can. But i usually get around 4-6 hours depending on the day. So if you get anything good let me know.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    idk, i'm up late too. and tired. but still up late.
  • Mitzki5
    Mitzki5 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My work hours are far from normal but I don't have a problem falling asleep at all when I get the chance. My problem is that I am so busy, finding time to sleep is the problem
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    13hr night shifts, commute and real life tend to eat away at sleep time for me. I am happy when I get 4-5 hrs a day and tend to wake up 1-3 times during the day. I then switch back to day schedule on my first day off, but get to sleep 7-8 hrs at night.

I will go this way until muscle cramping, hangriness and the occasional minor hallucination pushes me to take a 12-18 hr nap to catch up...

Also looking forward to any legitimate suggestions... Thanks for the post.

Edit... freeking temporary dementia!
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    If I want to change my sleeping schedule, I change the time I wake up and I don't deviate from the new time no matter what. After about a week or so, the time I go to sleep will align itself with the new wake up. Eating shortly after waking up at the new time will help, too, since it'll get your body used to orienting meals around a new sleeping schedule.

Right now, I wake up at 1 pm every day and go to bed at 1-2 am at night (4 am at the latest). My schedule is set up this way because I have evening college classes, no morning obligations, and a babysitting job that keeps me up well into the night (the person I babysit for doesn't get off work until 1:30 am at the latest).
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    LOL, pain and my husbands snoring keep me from sleeping well. The best sleep I get is when he is out of town! I take melatonin most nights; I believe it helps when I am consistent with taking it. Hubby wears a nose strip and uses a spray and still snores. I wear ear plugs. If I know I can expect pain over night - work, muscle injuries, chronic DDD - I will take 1 or 2 Tylenol PM. I typically sleep well with them but 2 will give me a" hangover" for an hour or two in the morning. Occasionally I will use an OTC sleeping pill, haven't tried NyQuils Zzzzz, yet, but I believe the Ty PM is most effective for me. Anyway, there is my 2 cents. Have a great night!
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Lol.. 4:29AM and HERE I AM!
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,762 Member
    Options
    When I was on night shift for months I tried to not switch my schedule on my days off. And sleeping during the day sucks. So I put aluminum foil over the windows to make it completely dark in the room. That helped me a lot. Working out also helped a lot after my shift. If it's that bad go to a doc and get ambien. From what I've heard that stuff knocks ya out cold for a good 6-8 hours straight.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I started taking Melatonin a month ago and it has really helped me sleep without the constant waking that I used to have. My fitbit Flex says I am sleeping ok.
  • phillrn
    phillrn Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    infrequent!
  • BehindtheMic
    BehindtheMic Posts: 1,736 Member
    Options
    infrequent!

What is this sleep you speak of???
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    When I was on night shift for months I tried to not switch my schedule on my days off. And sleeping during the day sucks. So I put aluminum foil over the windows to make it completely dark in the room. That helped me a lot. Working out also helped a lot after my shift. If it's that bad go to a doc and get ambien. From what I've heard that stuff knocks ya out cold for a good 6-8 hours straight.

My friend takes that, and says it works unless you drink with it. If you drink with Ambien, you black out and buy a bunch of crap on EBAY that you don't need. Two canoes, three compound bows, a motorcycle...
  • ShreddingIt_84
    Options
    Live in east coast but been stuck in west coast time for 6 years now.
    Im not normal and probably will die soon! :D
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    used to have terrible insomnia.. Starting taking a bit of magnesium an 45-60 mins before bed time and started sleeping like a rock.. I also started getting more vivid dreams..
  • Manic5781
    Manic5781 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Don't sleep enough. Sometimes 2 hours a day. Which is fine when I'm manic otherwise it's just terrible. Lol
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    get by on 4-5 hours a night and a short nap in the afternoon

always have
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    4hrs of sleep is good enough for me.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    6-7 and it's all good in the hood
  • pandagirl813
    pandagirl813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well, I normally tend to be a night owl and its 12:34 pm central time for me now. Tomorrow is Easter so im waiting for my face mask, foot mask (just got new sandals!) and nails to dry, while catching up on Good Mythical Morning on YouTube, and looking through message boards on here.
    So i sleep pretty well and tend to sleep from around 2 pm-to 8:30-10:30 am
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    8 to nine hours straight through. Sleep like a babe!