Diet Coke

Options
Ok, I have to ask, what do they put in that stuff?? It's almost half midnight and I'm wide awake. This only ever happens after drinking it. Normal Coke has no effect on me, diet makes me pretty hyper and caffeine free...I'm not even allowed to touch the stuff! Any ideas what it could be?

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Diet coke has caffeine in it, so that's probably it. Other than that, it's basically water, sweetener, flavour and colouring.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Diet coke has 45mg of caffeine.
    Regular coke has 34mg
    Caffeine free has 0mg, obvs.

Pretty much all the same ingredients, but swap corn syrup for aspartame.

You must have a reaction to aspartame.
  • Heir0fFir3
    Heir0fFir3 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It can't be the caffeine. I'm fine with normal Coke and coffee, and the caffeine free makes me absolutely nuts
  • GetSoda
    Options
    It can't be the caffeine. I'm fine with normal Coke and coffee, and the caffeine free makes me absolutely nuts

The only thing left then is aspartame. I couldn't find any -credible- sources that link aspartame to hyperactivity or feelings of increased energy.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199402033300501
  • rainbowxelephant
    rainbowxelephant Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't drink diet pop.. aspartame has been linked to some pretty serious diseases.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't drink diet pop.. aspartame has been linked to some pretty serious diseases.

Please explain this to my 87 year old grandfather who has zero health issues but consumes several daily.

Correlation does not equal causation, I believe is the saying
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is the devil's piss.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is the devil's piss.

That's why I drink diet cherry dr pepper.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Actually there's no credible science linking it to anything bad. Period.

But *some* people do certainly report sensitivity to aspartame.

OP, dumb question, but if it keeps you awake, and you don't want that ... why drink it? If you like pop, try something with sucralose, stevia, etc., instead of aspartame. There's lots of options ...
  • GetSoda
    Options

No, it hasn't.
  • Heir0fFir3
    Options
    Actually there's no credible science linking it to anything bad. Period.

But *some* people do certainly report sensitivity to aspartame.

OP, dumb question, but if it keeps you awake, and you don't want that ... why drink it? If you like pop, try something with sucralose, stevia, etc., instead of aspartame. There's lots of options ...

I only last night figured what it was that keeps me up. Now I know I'll stick to the normal stuff.
  • Heir0fFir3
    Options
    Ok just did some research on the side-effects of aspartame and I suffer from loads of them, so looks like I am sensitive to it. It finally explains the wiggly lines in my vision too!
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    While I don't believe aspartame is the devil, some people are certainly sensitive to it (I am). Definitely stay clear of it if it's making you feel crap :)
  • GetSoda
    Options
    Ok just did some research on the side-effects of aspartame and I suffer from loads of them, so looks like I am sensitive to it. It finally explains the wiggly lines in my vision too!

Keep in mind that most sites you'll find like that are total horse doodie. So I wouldn't put too much faith in them. That said, if something you consume bothers you, don't do it. ;)