what am i missing???

Options
jackeh
jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
so when ever that time of the month comes around, i start these cravings .... dont laugh.... peanut butter and sushi... not together but i swear its all i eat a week before my period?!?! So my mom says its because my body is in need of something that its not getting around that time o the month... im wondering if this is true and what does sushi and peanut butter have that im missing lol... maybe i could get a suplement instead of eating only sushi and peanutbutter?

jackie

Replies

• jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    so when ever that time of the month comes around, i start these cravings .... dont laugh.... peanut butter and sushi... not together but i swear its all i eat a week before my period?!?! So my mom says its because my body is in need of something that its not getting around that time o the month... im wondering if this is true and what does sushi and peanut butter have that im missing lol... maybe i could get a suplement instead of eating only sushi and peanutbutter?

jackie
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thats' what I've heard... when you crave something, your body is in need of the nutrients that food has. *shrugs*
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    You don't say if you're taking a vitamin supplement. Any time you are watching calories and reducing food intake, you should take a women's vitamin. The peanut butter is odd, but the sushi is high in iron I think. That would explain that craving! But, it could be a hormone thing. Good luck with that! At least it isn't chocolate!
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    So.. what does it mean when I crave a big hamburger and fries? LOL.

I think your mom's resaoning is true, that is usually the case. Fish and peanut butter are good protein sources.....
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I think your mom's resaoning is true, that is usually the case. Fish and peanut butter are good protein sources.....
    I would love to know too :huh:
  • Javancub
    Javancub Posts: 181
    Options
    My mom has told me the same thing. Mom's do know best. I'm not to sure what sushi has, but they both contain protein.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Someone said sushi was high in iron, and peanut butter is pretty high in iron too, I think. That would make sense - sources of iron - helps with mild anemia sometimes caused by a period - that you like. Makes sense to me!! But I'm weird that way . . . :laugh:
  • IrishRosebud
    Options
    Sushi has Omega-3 fats which help in keeping your blood sugar levels at a healthy range among being beneficial for your brain. Not sure if there is a correlation with your blood sugar levels and your period. I’m not diabetic but have been known to have my sugar levels drop while on my period.

Peanut Butter- There is several health benefits of peanut butter. A peanut is a legume (bean) not a nut. Found this to be an interesting read.
    http://www.femhealth.com/BenefitsofPeanuts.html

Yes, your body does crave certain foods when the body is in need of certain vitamins or minerals.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options

jackie

The week before TOM, I crave meat (protein/iron) - a nice, medium/rare steak is exactly what is for dinner! We rarely eat red meat - so hubby knows what is coming when I ask him to stop by Outback's for "Victoria's Filet" :laugh: :laugh:

Related to nutrition deficiencies - I normally get VERY tender in the ...umm... "chest area" the week before. It used to be so painful, I needed to wear a sports bra 24/7 (even sleeping) - then I started researching, and read that a lack of magnesium and omega-3 fatty acids increases PMS symptoms - so I started taking a multivitamin (with magnesium), and also fish oil (omega fatty acids). Since then, the tenderness has decreased dramatically - almost fading away entirely (just a faint twinge now). I wonder if sushi (fish) is also high in magnesium? Certain types of fish do have high levels of omega fatty acids (especially the deep, cold-water fish like cod.) Peanut Butter sounds like a protein-crave to me.
  • Javancub
    Javancub Posts: 181
    Options
    Someone said sushi was high in iron, and peanut butter is pretty high in iron too, I think. That would make sense - sources of iron - helps with mild anemia sometimes caused by a period - that you like. Makes sense to me!! But I'm weird that way . . . :laugh:

I was about to say the same thing about the iron too. Women lose a bit of iron during that time of the month. For me its usually steak and peanut butter.
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Options
    thanks to all for some really good advice. I started taking a new vitamin, its 2 pills actually and I think my body is digesting it better then just the one huge pill. I have been feeling much better these past two weeks, but that could also be from the new exercise routine I am on.

I just get hungry before TOM doesn't matter what it is. For some reason the forth day before it starts is the worst? idk?:grumble:
  • JessicaT2007
    Options
    If I ever find out, I will let you know the secret :smile:
  • JessicaT2007
    Options

I would love to know too :huh:

If I ever find out, I will let you know the secret :smile: