Protein

Options
Hello everyone,

I have a question, do you all go over your protein on days you don't workout or only days you workout? My protein has been very high everyday and I just want to make sure that I'm not over eating protein. Thanks

Replies

• slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    I eat the same amount of protein (90-100 grams) every day, regardless of whether or not I've worked out. Protein is going to help with making you feel full, and any unused protein you have your body is just going to get rid of, not store anywhere (according to my trainer).
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Your body can only digest about 35g of protein in one setting, just try not to exceed that amount. I struggle to eat over 50g of protein in any given day...what types of food are you eating? I got a protein powder for Christmas and had a shake this morning---it was yummy and 25g of protein!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm routinely over my protein allotment, I don't worry about it.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I usually dont get as much as they suggest, even when I use a protein bar to try to bump it up. Still trying to learn more about foods (diet changes). Most items i find with good protien also have high calories and fat. Gotta watch my cholesterol too as its naturally high (family history of it). We dont tend to eat much red meat since our lives are hectic and seldom time to prepare big dinners during the week. Sorry to hog this post, but could u tell me how u get so much protein (and not kill your other counts)?
  • imustdecrease
    Options
    HELP I was just going to ask the same question..I like to eat lean/green and do so two to three times a day..so my calories end up on the low side but I end up going over my protien for the day. Is that ok to do. Of coursse I try to eat the rest of the calories in veggies/fruit/grains and do fine. It is my protien that is over the suggested amount.
  • imustdecrease
    Options
    my source of protien comes from lean turkey, chicken or fish and some grains.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Your body can only digest about 35g of protein in one setting, just try not to exceed that amount. I struggle to eat over 50g of protein in any given day...what types of food are you eating? I got a protein powder for Christmas and had a shake this morning---it was yummy and 25g of protein!
    You might want to read this... http://www.tomvenuto.com/asktom/protein_grams_per_meal.shtml
  • msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I usually dont get as much as they suggest, even when I use a protein bar to try to bump it up. Still trying to learn more about foods (diet changes). Most items i find with good protien also have high calories and fat. Gotta watch my cholesterol too as its naturally high (family history of it). We dont tend to eat much red meat since our lives are hectic and seldom time to prepare big dinners during the week. Sorry to hog this post, but could u tell me how u get so much protein (and not kill your other counts)?

The best way I get protein and not kill the other counts is whey powder and water or whey powder and no-fat milk. But most of my protein comes from chicken and beef. I love love love steak. I tend to eat a lot of chicken breast as well which has a ton of protein. I also eat the meat and a plate of veggies, typically green veggies. I also eat eggs for breakfast.

Thanks everyone for responding, I almost thought I was eating too much protein.
  • benbidder
    Options
    I eat a lot of protein every day. It's just what I do I guess. I do start out with a protein shake in the morning though...