What to do with Easter sweets

Options
It couldn't be helped. I told my mum and both grandmas not to get me sweets for Easter, or at the very least only get me very little.
That didn't stop them of course, because what's Easter for if not for spoiling the little girl of the family with treats.
So now I have a large bowl of sweets sitting on my counter and I don't know what to do.

My problem is that I'm not actually a great fan of sweets - I prefer salty snacks - so I don't feel like 'treating' myself to sweets for my cheat calories, I'd rather reserve those for things I like.
But if the sweets are already there, the omnivore in me still ends up eating them.
I can't donate them to local food areas (we have a lot luckily) since most of the stuff is opened. And throwing it away goes against every fibre of my being, from not wanting to waste food to not appreciating something my family gave to me as a gift.

Do you have any ideas what I could do with my bowl of sweets that doesn't end up in me being sad for wasting it or for eating it?

Replies

• GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Take them to work/uni or share them with friends. You could always hold onto them until you get an unexpected guest and then put them out as nibbles. No need to eat them if you don't want to.

ETA: you could also wrap them in pretty cellophane and regift them to someone.
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'll eat it for you? :happy:

Can you not give it away to friends, other family or people begging on the streets (not sure if you have this where you live)? Maybe portion it out and pack the rest away?
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Take them to a Kids hospice
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    It couldn't be helped. I told my mum and both grandmas not to get me sweets for Easter, or at the very least only get me very little.
    That didn't stop them of course, because what's Easter for if not for spoiling the little girl of the family with treats.
    So now I have a large bowl of sweets sitting on my counter and I don't know what to do.

My problem is that I'm not actually a great fan of sweets - I prefer salty snacks - so I don't feel like 'treating' myself to sweets for my cheat calories, I'd rather reserve those for things I like.
    But if the sweets are already there, the omnivore in me still ends up eating them.
    I can't donate them to local food areas (we have a lot luckily) since most of the stuff is opened. And throwing it away goes against every fibre of my being, from not wanting to waste food to not appreciating something my family gave to me as a gift.

Do you have any ideas what I could do with my bowl of sweets that doesn't end up in me being sad for wasting it or for eating it?

I would throw the sweets away. Otherwise I would eat them all. Protecting your health isn't wasting food.

Also, think twice about taking them to work. People do that at my office which makes me dread the holidays. They don't want to eat that stuff either, and they don't want to "waste" it so they bring it to work and inflict the people there with it.

Appreciate the good will behind the gifts, but the trash can is your best friend.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I would bag it into small freezer bags, and freeze it. Or send it to me I would be happy to take it off your hands. But, I would not throw it out, so either freeze it, share it with others, bring to work.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I was going to say eat them... but if you don't fancy them that much then that's just a waste of calories

give them to someone who will appreciate them
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,656 Member
    Options
    I bring unwanted food gifts to the homeless guy at the tube station. I am probably responsible for a lot of bad teeth.
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I didn't think of giving it to the homeless guys in my town, that's a sweet (hah) idea! They will probably enjoy a little Easter treat. :D

Bringing them to work seems useless since I work in a bakery/café so we already have all the sweet things we want to nibble on...
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Take them to work/uni or share them with friends. You could always hold onto them until you get an unexpected guest and then put them out as nibbles. No need to eat them if you don't want to.

ETA: you could also wrap them in pretty cellophane and regift them to someone.

The above!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options

Yup, this.
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Yup, this.
    I don't think I could do this because almost all of the stuff is unwrapped or out of container and I doubt they'd accept something that could've been messed with in some way.
    I know that our local food shelter for example only takes unopened food in its original package.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Yup, this.
    I don't think I could do this because almost all of the stuff is unwrapped or out of container and I doubt they'd accept something that could've been messed with in some way.
    I know that our local food shelter for example only takes unopened food in its original package.

Fair dos
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Use it for baking - leftover chocolate makes great cookies. Then freeze the dough and bake a few throughout the year when you want them/have guests.
  • karinajean2388
    karinajean2388 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you have kinds you like, work it into your meal plan for the day. Otherwise, share with friends/co-workers/family :)
  • zeusfc
    zeusfc Posts: 6
    Options
    We were given a dozen creme eggs yesterday, and more mini daim eggs this morning. We handed them out to the kids coming out of church! one creme egg isn't going to make a lot of a difference to them, but a dozen would do some serious damage to me, as I'm, lo-carbing!
  • skinnyin60
    skinnyin60 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was given a massive milk chocolate eater egg this morning. I have divided it up into 150kcal portions (approx 27g), wrapped each portion in clingfiilm and put them in a bag in the fridge: hopefully will mean less munching, both because they're not in plain sight and because it will force me to think about how many calories I'm eating!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    If you don't like them, then I would just donate them to a local church. I'm sure there are some low income children that would love to have some extra Easter candy.

I personally wanted sweets ( namely chocolate ) but I only eat a little bit at a time. A lot of people are scared and won't let themselves eat sweets at all, but there is nothing wrong with a tiny bit. But you said that you do not like sweets and prefer salty treats, so maybe next time ask your family to get you salty nuts, maybe even chocolate dusted almonds next time.
  • getdancing2013
    getdancing2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I can't say no to sweets, especially around Easter (Starburst jellybeans...YUM), so I make sure I portion it out. Plus, when I eat sweets I have to have A LOT of water (don't know why, just seems reflexive) so at least that's a plus. I also eat them a bit at a time so that portion lasts me a long while, especially when I'm sitting there typing.

If they're unwrapped, places dealing with children especially will probably not take them. If they're wrapped then it's easier.

If they've given you M&Ms or other bits of chocolate, but you like salty stuff, mix them in with Planter's Healthy Nut mix or some other nut mix. Makes for a nice trail mix and, again, portion control is your friend, and you're getting some healthy goodness from the nuts :smile: That's how I deal with my love of M&Ms.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I would throw the sweets away. Otherwise I would eat them all. Protecting your health isn't wasting food.

Also, think twice about taking them to work. People do that at my office which makes me dread the holidays. They don't want to eat that stuff either, and they don't want to "waste" it so they bring it to work and inflict the people there with it.

Appreciate the good will behind the gifts, but the trash can is your best friend.

There will be a lot of destroyed health on this site today then because I am fairly sure quite a few people will be indulging in the chocolate today, and guess what? They will not die from it, or develop a case of chocolatitis. They will enjoy the one day, then get back to it tomorrow.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I got given an easter egg by the boss, I gave most of it to the husband and only had a little piece myself. I love chocolate so if i hadn't 'donated' it to the husband i would have scoffed it all myself.