china restaurant

Options
My family is taking me to china restaurant for my birthday dinner tonight. Of course the restaurant has no nutritional information. I would love some ideas on low cal items. I love egg rolls so im thinking one egg roll ...it is my birthday...and a bowl of egg drop soup...what are your thoughts?

Replies

• jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Everything in a Chinese restaurant, at least the ones in America, is full of fat and salt. So, eat it and enjoy it; and when you're done, get back into the swing of things and don't worry about it.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Google "Chinese food nutrition" you should be able to get an estimate for standard chinese food things- I usually get mixed veggies, steamed dumplings, and white rice. Fat and salt aside, you can stay within a reasonable calorie count if you get in your head how much a few bites of everything you like would "cost"
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Have an egg roll- its your birthday!

If you're looking to stay semi-healthy at dinner, stick to veggies and meats...and stay away from "fried" and "rice". =)
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    If its a buffet I would eat something before you leave so that way you're you only make one trip. I don't think that there is anything that you can eat without feeling guilty about later. Enjoy your night and work it off tomorrow.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I say a veggie dish is your best bet. Maybe one egg roll? Anything fried will be high in calories but it is your birthday!!! Indulge a bit and eat light tomorrow! Happy Birthday!!! :drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    try steamed items and the tea. hopefully it's a real chinese restaurant and no msg. Drink lots of water for the sodium content. Hope you have a lovely evening!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Chinese food to me = egg roll, crab ragoon, chicken wing and Pork fried rice! lol so allllll bad stuff. I dont even try to think of the calories in chinese food because those are the only things i like
  • IceFaith
    Options
    It's your birthday. My advice is to enjoy your time w/ your family, don't stress to much about the food. Eat, enjoy whatever it is that you do eat and then start back on track tomorrow.
  • redgrandma
    redgrandma Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just relax and enjoy it all, eat what ever you want, it is your birthday , its one meal in the whole year, don't worry about it, but get back on track the day after.
    It is like Christmas, no long term damage to your diet if it is just a day or two, the problem is making it last for weeks.

Happy Birthday
  • LoserCruiser
    Options
    I personally would eat a small bit of whatever I wanted for my birthday dinner, lol. Seafood chop suey is a good one if your trying to keep on track!
  • Mark1968
    Options
    egg roll 130, 1 cup white rice 187, 1 cup egg drop soup 100, 2 cup chicken and broccili 300 = 717 calories - 30 minutes cardio = 317 net calories.

Happy Birthday!
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask, I ate Chinese food last night. I went for a shared hot and sour soup, one egg roll (I love them too), brown rice (not white!) and steamed veggies. Omm nom nom nom, and only 389 calories, fortune cookie included!

Enjoy and happy bday!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your birthday, eat what you want! Only advice I have is, do NOT step on the scale tomorrow morning. The sodium in chinese food is atrocious.