2»

Replies

• amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I love everything.

I eat everything

(in moderation)

It works. If you don't believe me, see ticker below.

Rob

My ticker is not as great as Robs, but I've only been eating healthier for about a week and a half. Like he said, moderation is key.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I love everything.

I eat everything

(in moderation)

It works. If you don't believe me, see ticker below.

Rob

awesome, me too. lol I like food
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hahaha.....honeyjasmine, my problem is the opposite of yours...I live with someone who suffers...no, enjoys just the same serious chocolate addiction as you do. If I want to keep a piece of quality chocolate in the house for me to enjoy later..and I am actually able to eat in moderation...I have to hide it in the back of the freezer....lol
    Seriously, though, some research links cravings to nutrient deficiencies... I'm not able to insert a picture here, but the chart says, chocolate cravings might be caused by lack of Magnesium, and they suggest to eat nuts, seeds, veggies, and fruits instead.... Not saying that you should go all 'nuts', but it might be worth checking out if there is in fact something that your body desperately needs..
    Good luck!
  • Peacockbutterfly
    Peacockbutterfly Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I started I had an awful candy and soda addiction. I was eating the majority of my calories in sugar. I had to stop certain things right away because I couldn't help myself from eating 500 calories worth in one sitting. Some things, like soda, I weaned myself off. After a few weeks of logging all my food I didn't really want those empty calories so I stopped all together. I'm almost 80 days in and can now have a piece of candy or a soda without needing another. Moderation is a wonderful thing that can be self taught! I'm proof!
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have gone cold turkey for some things (e.g. soda, juice, pop tarts) and it worked. After a few months when I consumed these things I could do it moderately. Actually I could live without those things forever now, but at the very least I'll never binge on pop tarts again.

But for other things, I didn't actually want to cut them out or didn't think I could. I have tried two strategies:
    1. Making my own, healthier versions where I controlled what went into my foods. So I could have brownies, but I had to make them and I used substitutes for a lot of things. You can find recipes for most treats online and in cookbooks. This worked very well as long as I could cook and bake regularly.

2. Building cheat periods into my regular diet. It sounds like you don't plan for chocolate in your day. You plan on being "good" and then give in to the craving later. Why not plan on chocolate? It's certainly good. If you know you like late night treats then plan them in your diary; don't plan days without them. Knowing you can have some every day if you want might ease some of the pressure.

But if, like me, you need so much of your treat that a little every day won't do, factor in cheat days. Calculate your calories for the week such that you plan in a day (or...days)where you can have as much as you want. Weight Watchers does this when you bank excess points for the week. This is the cheat day concept. I am currently enjoying alternate day fasting, where very low calorie days are followed by high calorie days, so I always know I can have as much as I want either today or tomorrow. Because I can't wait a week lol
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I could see a few ways of tackling this.

1. When shopping for healthy foods, look for items that satisfy that chocolate craving. I buy Kashi bars with chocolate chips in them as snacks/emergency rations (I carry in my purse and store in my desk). Make a chocolate protein shake in the evenings with some fresh fruit thrown in.

2. Get rid of super sweet foods (including artificial sweeteners) and reset your palate.

3. I have heard from a few people that when a craving kicks in something super spicy or tart will kill it.

4. If you are going to have it, make yourself work for it. Walk to the store. Only have it on days where you have met all your goals. Even better if you can go someplace that sells from a case and you can buy a single piece.
  • jimwon953
    jimwon953 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I cut out all junk food 6 months ago and I no longer really want to eat chocolate, sweets or crisps. I don't intend to eat such food again, the only sweet stuff I'll be having will be deserts when I've gone out for a meal (which is pretty rare for me) and that won't be until I've hit my goal weight.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have had a sweet tooth since I was a child. For a period of my life I would eat only chocolate for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. To this day I crave chocolate daily and could live off it and nothing else if I could.

Currently I'm doing the insanity workout 5-6 days a week and eating very well for my breakfast, lunch and dinner. However when evening comes I am craving chocolate. Even if I have none in the house I will go out late at night to buy some because I am so desperate for it (embarrassing to admit). Not small bars either, the ones made for sharing...

What is the best way to go to beat your cravings? To completely cut it out? Have it once a week? Once a month? The thing is if I have one piece I cannot put the bar down so having a little square a day, I don't think I would be able to do. I'm sure I read something on having to completely cutting out junk if you want to erase your craving for it, but I would like to know if anyone had successfully completely cut out their guilty pleasure.

Does anyone else have this problem, or if you can share tips on how you control yourself with these sort of things, it would be appreciated. :)

Hi - the BEST thing to do is work on that urge to make food control you. I mean, dont let any food control you where you obey it in giving in to cravings. If you could get ahold of yourself and dont let it get to you, then you dont have to worry about "1 square of chocolate, 2 pieces, etc.. you wont have to worry about it at all - if you can get ahold of your craving and its power over you.

I have gotten over my sugar cravings by not thinking about it and emotionally reacting to it, i think about it as delicious as a piece of paper. sometimes i just dont go where the food is that is getting me. other times, someone offers me something and i say no, and then dont think about it. once in a while i do give in to something but it HAS to be the most exquisite delicious item and have it ONE TIME and then no more.

You CAN do it by conquering it in your mind. Really! Well that worked for me. And by not teasing my self with a little taste every day, the craving leaves me. I now do not have cravings for my usual sugary treats.

you have to make a little bit of an effort. what helped me was thinking, my knees are killing me due to being fat. is that piece of chocolate worth my knees continuing to hurt? so it is not worth it. you can think similar thoughts. I do not believe in eating stuff like that in moderation, the food that is addicting like what you describe.

Try going without it for a week or two - you will see results. dont even eat a taste and the craving WILL go away.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It is different for everyone. I no longer eat chocolate and I am fine with it. There is plenty of it in the house right now and I have no interest. The first few months I did not keep it around though, now it is no biggie. I don't like the way sugar made me feel and I feel better not having the sugar and caffeine. I ate lots of apples in the beginning to curb my craving for sweets.
  • feliscatus84
    feliscatus84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I had to kick most of the things like cake, ice cream, and cookies completely out for like 2 months before I could reintroduce them at moderate portions because I was out of control on sweets. It is really about what you think you can handle. If you feel you can't get a grip then maybe the best option is to kick it completely out for awhile. No goodies in the house until you can get that mindset back. There's foods I still can't have in the house because I will go out of control on them. Now, if I really have to have that ice cream I go to the store and get a single serving size so I don't have the whole gallon sitting in the house. Some people may think that is an unhealthy relationship with food but it's worked for me.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    As has been said giving up something you truly love is both difficult and unnecessary. However I would council against eating one of those massive "for sharing" bars at once. Honestly if you eat a single chocolate bar after exercise your body will burn most of those calories right away. However if you binge on it almost all of those calories will end up on your waistline. I know I know binging is just so satisfying. But trust me binging on just about anything is just terrible for you and really will slow your weight loss. For me my poison wasn't chocolate however but coca cola. I did eventually manage to give it up completely. i had to i was drinking 6 liters of the wretched stuff some days. And i can tell you this. The first week is by far the hardest.

My advice go gold turkey for about a fortnight. And not just chocolate. You have to keep your sugar intake tightly under control. NO refined sugars whatsoever. Fruit only in moderation. You will need some willpower but if this was easy you wouldn't be an addict. After that re introduce chocolate to your diet in moderation. I am sure you will be surprised that your body has adapted and is now satisfied with much less. Your trouble and mine is that we enjoy something unhealthy too much. And as we bombard our body with sugar and hormonal happy chemicals it requires more and more to get the same effect. I am sorry to say that speaking as a fellow sugar addict you will NOT succeed unless you spend some time going cold turkey.

If after two weeks of cold turkey you eat once piece of chocolate and binge then you gotta go cold turkey again ... for longer. You simply must break your bodies dependance on sugar for energy. And trust me I know how hard that can be to break. The thing you need to realize is that you are ADDICTED to sugar. You are sick and you need to cure yourself. Everything in moderation approach only works for people who aren't addicts. I am sorry to be the bearer of ill news as i went through this myself. But that's the only approach that worked for me.

And honestly I don't think I can ever have full sugar soft drinks again. i am honestly afraid I would fall right back off the wagon. I know I know I'm talking about sugar not alcohol or drugs. But I believe very firmly that excessive sugar can be extremely addictive. I had waaaaay more trouble giving up the sugar than i ever did giving up smoking. I'm not saying you have to forswear chocolate forever. Your mileage may vary. But understand that breaking your bodies dependance on sugar comes first and foremost.
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    \

Currently I'm doing the insanity workout 5-6 days a week and eating very well for my breakfast, lunch and dinner. However when evening comes I am craving chocolate. ... Not small bars either, the ones made for sharing...

LIES.

CHOCOLATE IS NOT MADE FOR SHARING.

In all seriousness though, I'm not one of those people who thinks it's a great idea to keep trigger foods out of the house. If the only reason I'm NOT eating a delicious calorie-rich food is because it's not around, I've already lost the war. The day must inevitably come when the trigger food and I are near one another again, and never having practiced moderation, I'd cave.

Learning moderation is hard, but kinda key to long-term success. I don't want to work crazy hard to lose a lot of weight, be at my goal weight for all of 6 weeks and then balloon back up again.

LOL Totally made me laugh!

But yeah, moderation is the key. My weakness is bread. I've had horrible binges when it's around and I DID gain weight. I thought of not buying it but whenever it's there, I'd go crazy. So I told myself I had to make peace with it. I have to teach myself that bread isn't something to attack! It's just there. It's food. If I don't get my *kitten* together and lose control around it again, I would gain all the weight back. So, I'm making peace with bread. The more I restrict food, the more I'd lose it when it's in front of me.

i'm still making peace, still learning and teaching myself. :)
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people say, "moderation is key." But for me, I at first couldn't do moderation. Starting off, I couldn't have trigger foods in the house, I didn't have control, I couldn't stop, I just couldn't do 'moderation.' I wouldn't be able to just break off a square of chocolate.. nope, I needed the whole thing! And then I'd be like... oh no, I need something salty to balance off this sweetness.

So, if you can do moderation, then do it! if not.. maybe you are like me, and need to have a break cold turkey. Then I began to learn how to have things in moderation. Or I would try to have healthy substitutes. If I am craving chocolate (everyday), then I will make a smoothie with chocolate protein powder with banana and peanut butter or with dark cherries!

You have to find out what works for you! If I really want a chocolate bar, then I'll buy a Cadbury one (I have found Mars bars, snickers, etc. taste like chemical chocolate - Cadbury is the way to go!) I will split it in half (one serving) and then give the rest to my boyfriend, and say "Eat this!" haha I look at it now as, what food will give me the best nutrients to fuel my body/fuel my workouts, give me energy, help me concentrate, etc. And if I do that 80% of the time, then yes, I'm going to have some chocolate if I want to and am craving it!
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Moderation while out and about or at the supermarket is easy peasy. Moderation while the food is sitting with you at home all the time is hard.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    OP, like you I have a really bad sweet tooth. I'm also a binge eater. Before when I would go on a "diet" I would demonize certain foods (no more chocolate, no more soda, no more cookies, etc.) so, of course, that would trigger a three day binge on just those foods. Especially when vendors would bring them for us, etc.

So using the philosophy "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got[ten]." - Tony Dinozzo, NCIS - I stopped demonizing the food, fit it into my macros, logged everything (even when if I went over my calorie allowance) and have been doing that since, I think February. Lately I've noticed that my cravings have changed a bit. The past 2 days I've craved hard boiled eggs. The few days before that it was freshly ground, unsweetened peanut butter. Before that it was Greek yogurt with vanilla and a tablespoon of carob powder. That's as close to chocolate cravings as I've gotten recently, even when the vendors went BSC giving us candy. Oh, I did have 2 fun-sized pkgs of M&Ms and 2 bite-sized Three Muskateers bars (70 cals/pkg and 24 cals/bar respectively, if anyone cares)

Keep on the program, your tastes and cravings will change as your body adjusts. Demonize nothing, just stay within your macros, your calorie allowance (if you can) and log everything.
  • maskedbelleza
    maskedbelleza Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I usually have some sort of chocolate treat weekly. My dad gave me a pack of 12 individual reeses pieces. My roommate gave me an entire dark chocolate chocolate bar. A friend came back from Japan and gave me chili chocolate kitkats. Basically, I choose one of them and eat it once a week. (So, a square from the dark chocolate or one of the mini kitkats or one reeses cup.)

The rest of the time, I'm eating fruits as my sweet thing, OR the semi-healthy cookies I baked (low in sugar and low calorie). Basically, if I make it myself from scratch, I'm less likely to be overly concerned about how bad it is for me. I know exactly what's in it and I've checked it's nutritional info on MFP. If I keep the portions under control, eating two of them (at about 120 calories) is really not that bad. Plus, they make me happy, and that's really important too.

I don't think of them as "cheats" but as "treats". I plan them into my calorie allowance and I know that they're coming. "Cheats" make me feel guilty. "Treats" make me think of it as giving a present to myself. It's not a "reward"for good behaviour or something "earned", it's something I deserve because I'm awesome :smile:

So if fruit doesn't do it for you, maybe try baking for yourself and seeing just how much sugar/oil etc. goes into it. It may turn you off to it. (On the other hand, it's made me really excited to start baking even more healthy treats and trying to figure out what I can do about substitutions. I'm really terrible in the kitchen, but this is really encouraging me to broaden my horizons and to try new recipes)
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    OP: what it comes to sweets or other junky foods I think the question: really want it OR mindless gobbling. For years I've mainlined junk and much of the time I didn't even really want it. It was all about feeding my needy inner child. Instead I am now trying to make a reasoned effort to decide WHY I want a treat. I've cut out the Coke which I was swilling with abandon. But recently I bought some excellent cookies at a pizza shop that only sells them on Friday. I split one with the husband (also trying to lose weight) and those few bites were satisfying. Also, the smallest size soft ice cream cone. Just no more of the big candy bars. There are lots of nutrition bars with fewer calories and more good stuff.

wishing you luck!
  • GC527
    GC527 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have had a sweet tooth since I was a child. For a period of my life I would eat only chocolate for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. To this day I crave chocolate daily and could live off it and nothing else if I could.

Currently I'm doing the insanity workout 5-6 days a week and eating very well for my breakfast, lunch and dinner. However when evening comes I am craving chocolate. Even if I have none in the house I will go out late at night to buy some because I am so desperate for it (embarrassing to admit). Not small bars either, the ones made for sharing...

What is the best way to go to beat your cravings? To completely cut it out? Have it once a week? Once a month? The thing is if I have one piece I cannot put the bar down so having a little square a day, I don't think I would be able to do. I'm sure I read something on having to completely cutting out junk if you want to erase your craving for it, but I would like to know if anyone had successfully completely cut out their guilty pleasure.

Does anyone else have this problem, or if you can share tips on how you control yourself with these sort of things, it would be appreciated. :)

Mayfield makes fat free chocolate fudge pops that re 70 calories a piece and completely delicious.