Goal weight opinions wanted, please!

Options
Ok, I just saw People's "Half Their Size" and the women on the cover certainly look amazing, but...

I have absolutely no desire to be that thin. I like having curves, I just want to have HEALTHY curves.

My starting weight here was 280 pounds - down to 237 in the past 3 1/2 months, with a final goal of 180 pounds. I might go for another 10 after that, but I don't know - looking at pictures of when I was 180 in the past, I really LIKE the way I looked at that weight and the few pictures that exist of me at around 155 - my supposed "ideal weight" according to my BMI, I was very bony and thinner than I want to be.

The thing is, I am 5'10" with a large bone structure and a classic hourglass shape (current dimensions are 49.5" chest, 35.5" waist, 47.5" hips). I don't want pokey ribs and bony knees, which is what I'll have if I lose "half my size."

My question is, what do you think? I'm posting a "virtual model" of myself at the different weights - starting, current, my goal, and my BMI "ideal" - I personally think my goal looks better - certainly more feminine - but what do you think? Is that still too big? Just curious. Thanks!

280-1.jpg

Replies

• MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am five ten as well and I weighed 180 when I met my husband and was pretty happy with my weight. I agree, I love curves too. My goal is 160, just because I have never weighed that little and want to see if I can do it, but I think 180 look great!
  • manleyzoo
    manleyzoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I like your goal weight too. You do look curvier!! LOL Way to go on loosing as much as you have. You look great now.
    Linda in IA
  • RDTaylor13
    Options
    definately go with your goal weight. it looks good for the virtual model, and I'm sure you'd look good like that too. the ideal weight one, looks too skinny, and boney
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    In my opinion those virtual models always look thinner than someone that is actually at that weight. Idk, do you feel you look like your virtual model that is 237? I think it is going to be up to you. When you get to 180 evaluate your goals and decide then if you want to be thinner or if you are happy where you are at. Everyone is different. As long as you are happy, healthy, and comfortable I say do what makes ya feel the best!!!
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think what ever you feel works is perfect!!!! HEY, and where did yu get your models...I want to do that too to see what Imay look like but I am computer stupid and can't figure it out....any tips?????
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    I think it depends on how you carry it and how you feel about how you look.

I'm 5'10" and 151 and I'm still in the "just 5 more lbs!" stage because I carry it ALL around the middle. I'd aim for 180 and then see how you feel when you get there.

My MVM had a flatter stomach at 155 than I do now at 151. So, not necessarily a great thing to go by. That's all I'm saying....
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    go for 180 and then see how you feel then :)
  • AEchic914
    Options
    Both look great,why not make your goal somewhere in between the 2...maybe 165 would work for you! Good Luck and Congrats on how far you have come already!
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    Since BMI is flawed, I wouldn't neccessarily use that to determine a goal weight for yourself. I would say once you hit your own goal of 180 you can evaluate then if it's where you want to be, or if you'd like to lose a little more. I think the model at 180 looks perfectly fine - but since we all carry weight a little differently there's no saying what you'll look like at 180. I agree - when I'm done I want my curves left, just not quite so many, lol.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I think 180 would look fantastic and it sounds like it would be your "happy weight." As someone who is 5'6" and aiming for 150, I think it would be too low if I were four inches taller. Whichever you decide, best of luck to you!
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    You are beautiful either way. And I would stick to what makes you feel comfortable in your own skin. If you are aiming to be in a healthy bmi range perhaps maybe then try for a in between number, 170 maybe?. :flowerforyou:
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    When i was with former diet dude, he tried everything he could to get me to agree to put my goal weight at around 160. I felt the same as you... I have no interest in being "thin." Just healthier. So 190-180 is my goal. This is YOUR journey. You have to do what feels right for you and your health. No matter what anybody tells us, there is no one "ideal."
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    In my opinion those virtual models always look thinner than someone that is actually at that weight. Idk, do you feel you look like your virtual model that is 237? I think it is going to be up to you. When you get to 180 evaluate your goals and decide then if you want to be thinner or if you are happy where you are at. Everyone is different. As long as you are happy, healthy, and comfortable I say do what makes ya feel the best!!!

My body does look a lot like the virtual model, actually. My my chest is bigger and my waist is smaller than the model, but because I have a classic hourglass shape, it's a pretty decent likeness. The thighs are definitely about right.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Oh, for those who are wondering, the virtual model website is www.mvm.com
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I like your goal, but I think it also just depends on what you look like when you get there. I know that, for me, the virtual model for my current weight doesn't look like I do right now. I would focus on getting to 180 and then if you want to lose more from there, you can do that. :)
  • lilmestydaze
    lilmestydaze Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think 180 is okay for your body type. Honestly, as long as you are happy and healthy I think that is all that really matters. The purpose should be to lead a healthy lifestyle...not to fit into some ideal range that is almost impossible for the majority of the population nowadays.

Keep up the good work!
  • karenlainey
    Options
    Firstly, well done for doing well so far!! Your goal does sound and looks great, it depends on how hung up we want to get on being within the 'healthy bmi' here in UK a healthy BMi for your height and age is between 18-25 (at 172lbs your bmi would be 24.6) but I think only you will know the how comfortable you will be and how far you want to go! Congratulations so far and keep up the fab work!
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I think that one thing you should keep in consideration as you approach your weight loss goals is that you will probably have added muscle weight that you did not have the last time you were at 180 (unless you were into working out a lot at that time). I would be tempted to say that you should probably make a clothing size your goal rather than a specific weight. It sounds like that is roughly what you are going for anyway. There isn't any guarantee that you will look the same at 180 that you did before, but as long as you get to a healthy weight that your doctor approves of, you should just try to look the way you want to!

Personally I am shooting for a size 6, but I really have no idea how much I will weigh when I get there, because I already weigh 20 pounds more in the size that I'm currently in than I did the last time I was in it.

Anyway, you have made such great progress so far! Congratulations again :) Keep up all the good work!
  • vandy29
    vandy29 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Your goal weight is personal, however, let the numbers guide you. If you feel good and have good numbers from the doctors, I would go with the goal weight. Weight lose is not just about looking good...it is also about being healthy
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You may be surprised, I am assuming we are physically near each others body type and I hit the top of my healthy weight and I still have pleanty of curves and still would like to lose another 15 and know that I will still have curves