Trying to Lose last 10

Options
Hello,
I've lost about 45 lbs since last August. I'm mostly happy with where I'm at, but after 4 kids I have more fat than I'd like around my waist, hips,thighs and arms. I'm wondering if there is a good way to get this last bit off finally or if it's mostly going to be an exercise thing to tighten it up.

Replies

• fasy1
    fasy1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The last 10 lbs are the hardest to lose. I recently read an article by Jillian Michaels and this is what she had to say about it:

The Truth: The body struggles to hold on to that last bit of fat for survival purposes, so while it is tough to lose the last five to 10 pounds, it’s definitely doable.

You know what I like to call those last 10 or 15 pounds that won't come off no matter what you do? Vanity pounds. The term describes our desire to lose weight that, as far as our bodies are concerned, actually feels healthy. Personally, I have gained and lost the same eight vanity pounds more times than I care to admit. Losing your first 50 pounds might have been tough, but believe me, dropping those final few stubborn pounds is a whole different challenge. Here are a few rules to follow:

Completely cut out processed foods. The best way to lose weight — even those last 10 pounds — is by eating CLEAN. This means absolutely NO processed foods! While you may have been watching what you were eating before, now is the time to truly crack down. Processed food is anything that has been altered from its natural state, such as fruit that has been canned to make it last longer or refined grains. Try to restrict yourself to eat only fresh organic fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and dairy, as well as whole grains. Check the labels on all of the food you buy. If you see ingredients that are questionable — don’t buy it! If you can’t pronounce something on the ingredient list — leave it on the shelf.

Cut your sodium intake and drink more water. Just because you’re not reaching for the salt shaker at every meal doesn’t mean you’re watching your sodium intake! Salt is in nearly every food — some of the worst culprits are breads, cold cuts/cured meats, sandwiches, pizza, poultry and soup. To commit to dropping your vanity pounds, you should keep a close eye on your sodium intake and cut it down to 1,000 mg per day. Once you start looking at food labels, you may realize this is harder than you thought, but it’s possible — trust me. Also, up your water intake. Eighty ounces is equal to 10 cups of water and I would like that to be your goal each day. It won’t be hard to hit if you’re working out!

Abstain from alcohol. Booze can sabotage your weight-loss efforts. It releases estrogen into your bloodstream, promotes fat storage, and decreases muscle growth. It makes you hungry and loosens your inhibitions — so you’re more likely to give into temptations, like unhealthy food. Plus, alcoholic beverages contain more calories than most people think. If you’re serious about losing this weight, it’s best to avoid alcohol until you’re in maintenance mode.

Train at 85 percent of your maximum heart rate for 1 hour, 5 times a week. You have to exercise to lose weight — and to lose those last 10 pounds, you’ll need to push yourself. Up the intensity of your workouts and make sure you’re fitting them in at least five times a week.

The Bottom Line: You can do this! The last 10 pounds will come off, you just need to be a bit more strict with your diet. Avoid all alcohol and processed food, watch your sodium intake, drink more water, and exercise five times a week and watch those stubborn vanity pounds finally melt away.
  • FaithHope76
    FaithHope76 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing because it's working for you. Just be patient and know that the last ten may come off slower.
    Options
    I lost the last ten pounds with minimal exercise. I ran for 15 minutes a week on average. I had chronic pain and any squatting or lunges were done sporadically.
    I also drank wine every day when I lost the last ten pounds, more than I've ever drank in my life in fact!
    I had processed foods when I lost the last ten pounds, if include store bought pizza, ice cream, diet coke, cheddar cheese, and chocolate in that category.
    I lost the last ten pounds very slowly but successfully because I ate at a calorie deficit. I also tried to keep my protein up, but wasn't great at that either.
    The secret was patience and trusting that if your input is less than your output, you lose.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I lost the last ten pounds with minimal exercise. I ran for 15 minutes a week on average. I had chronic pain and any squatting or lunges were done sporadically.
    I also drank wine every day when I lost the last ten pounds, more than I've ever drank in my life in fact!
    I had processed foods when I lost the last ten pounds, if include store bought pizza, ice cream, diet coke, cheddar cheese, and chocolate in that category.
    I lost the last ten pounds very slowly but successfully because I ate at a calorie deficit. I also tried to keep my protein up, but wasn't great at that either.
    The secret was patience and trusting that if your input is less than your output, you lose.

^This!!!
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    The last 10 lbs are the hardest to lose. I recently read an article by Jillian Michaels and this is what she had to say about it:

The Truth: The body struggles to hold on to that last bit of fat for survival purposes, so while it is tough to lose the last five to 10 pounds, it’s definitely doable.

You know what I like to call those last 10 or 15 pounds that won't come off no matter what you do? Vanity pounds. The term describes our desire to lose weight that, as far as our bodies are concerned, actually feels healthy. Personally, I have gained and lost the same eight vanity pounds more times than I care to admit. Losing your first 50 pounds might have been tough, but believe me, dropping those final few stubborn pounds is a whole different challenge. Here are a few rules to follow:

Completely cut out processed foods. The best way to lose weight — even those last 10 pounds — is by eating CLEAN. This means absolutely NO processed foods! While you may have been watching what you were eating before, now is the time to truly crack down. Processed food is anything that has been altered from its natural state, such as fruit that has been canned to make it last longer or refined grains. Try to restrict yourself to eat only fresh organic fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and dairy, as well as whole grains. Check the labels on all of the food you buy. If you see ingredients that are questionable — don’t buy it! If you can’t pronounce something on the ingredient list — leave it on the shelf.

Cut your sodium intake and drink more water. Just because you’re not reaching for the salt shaker at every meal doesn’t mean you’re watching your sodium intake! Salt is in nearly every food — some of the worst culprits are breads, cold cuts/cured meats, sandwiches, pizza, poultry and soup. To commit to dropping your vanity pounds, you should keep a close eye on your sodium intake and cut it down to 1,000 mg per day. Once you start looking at food labels, you may realize this is harder than you thought, but it’s possible — trust me. Also, up your water intake. Eighty ounces is equal to 10 cups of water and I would like that to be your goal each day. It won’t be hard to hit if you’re working out!

Abstain from alcohol. Booze can sabotage your weight-loss efforts. It releases estrogen into your bloodstream, promotes fat storage, and decreases muscle growth. It makes you hungry and loosens your inhibitions — so you’re more likely to give into temptations, like unhealthy food. Plus, alcoholic beverages contain more calories than most people think. If you’re serious about losing this weight, it’s best to avoid alcohol until you’re in maintenance mode.

Train at 85 percent of your maximum heart rate for 1 hour, 5 times a week. You have to exercise to lose weight — and to lose those last 10 pounds, you’ll need to push yourself. Up the intensity of your workouts and make sure you’re fitting them in at least five times a week.

The Bottom Line: You can do this! The last 10 pounds will come off, you just need to be a bit more strict with your diet. Avoid all alcohol and processed food, watch your sodium intake, drink more water, and exercise five times a week and watch those stubborn vanity pounds finally melt away.

There is no evidence to support most the above post......
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Word!
    Options

Truth.
    You can lose weight with no exercise at all.
    You can drink alcohol and lose weight.
    You can also eat white bread, foods high in sodium, and processed foods, and lose weight at the same time.
  • citrusy
    citrusy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Check out "Eat Stop Eat" by Brad Pilon, intermittent fasting can be good for breaking through a plateu.

good luck!
  • fasy1
    Options

I'd rather trust JM on this than you saying there is a lack of evidence , after all she does this for a living and has helped millions of people change their life and drop the weight, me included! Every muscle in my body and pound that I dropped was thanks to JM, so yeh I trust what she says. Will it work for everybody? Of course not just like what the other poster said i-e she drank wine, ate whatever she wanted and still lost the weight WILL NOT work for everybody. Each person's journey and results will be different!
  • fasy1
    Options

Truth.
    You can also eat white bread, foods high in sodium, and processed foods, and lose weight at the same time.

Yes you can eat whatever you want and lose weight, you can eat Ice cream all day, get drunk every night and still lose weight. The difference is you won't be healthy. If you eat processed foods all day and are skinny , you are just that, a skinny unhealthy person. The person eating clean is healthier than you are regardless of how much skinnier you are. If you take a blood test with said person who might be bigger than you, their levels will be better because they have a better diet...But to each what works for them....
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Truth.

Yes you can eat whatever you want and lose weight, you can eat Ice cream all day, get drunk every night and still lose weight. The difference is you won't be healthy. If you eat processed foods all day and are skinny , you are just that, a skinny unhealthy person. The person eating clean is healthier than you are regardless of how much skinnier you are. If you take a blood test with said person who might be bigger than you, their levels will be better because they have a better diet...But to each what works for them....

OP asked how to lose the last 10 pounds, not how to be healthy. Truth is she'll be less likely to lose if she cuts out lots of foods because it'll make her more likely to get massive cravings and binge.
  • fasy1
    Options

Truth.

OP asked how to lose the last 10 pounds, not how to be healthy. Truth is she'll be less likely to lose if she cuts out lots of foods because it'll make her more likely to get massive cravings and binge.

Hey, I thought everybody's goal was to be healthy, but if you want to be unhealthy more power to you! Nowhere in JM's article does it say to cut out lots of food. She clearly said " Cut out all processed foods", unless her entire diet consisted of processed food, I don't see how cutting processed foods can maker her binge....
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I remember reading the Jillian Michaels bit back when I still had the last 10lbs to lose. And thinking I'd never make it, because it wasn't sustainable, at least for me. I didn't want to cut out more foods that I regularly enjoy, and I didn't have time to increase my exercise.

Rather than all of that, I focused on lowering body fat percentage, and read numerous articles stating that a small calorie deficit is best for fat loss. And exercise with weights is helpful too.

I found this topic to be my best source and guide in losing my last 10lbs (and then some): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13 Great info there with links to tools and step by step instructions on how to find your calorie "boundaries", and how to custom set your calorie and macro goals here at MFP.

I ate 1800-2000+ calories a day, exercised an hour or less 5-6 days a week, and enjoyed burgers, beer, wine, desserts, pizza through it all. And I dropped another size, and the inches and pounds came off. And I've maintained the loss, still slowly lowering body fat percentage, for about 2 years now.

Patience is key! But it's worth it. :smile:
  • FaithHope76
    FaithHope76 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice!