Any Tips for Half Marathon Team Prep

Options
I just convinced 20 of my co-workers to train with me for the Rock & Roll Marathon on March 27th. We are going to do two runs a week before work and a longer Saturday run. It will be my first half although I have run that distance unofficially a few times over the last decade.

I am basing our training schedule on Jeff Galloway's plan. Any tips about how to keep the team motivated over the next three months?

I am very excited about it personally, but would like for the entire group to find it enjoyable. I think the biggest challenge is that we have some people who haven't run in years and will be doing a modified run/walk approach and others that are more serious runners that will be trying to hit goal times. I am not sure how this group will do training together. Any tips, experiences, advice in this area would be appreciated.

--Carter

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I started off not being able to run a half of a mile consecutively and since then, I've completed many half and full marathons! Anyone can do it, I started (and still do) using runnersworld.com training plans. They have TONS of information for beginner runners on there. Basically one easy run, one tempo/speed run, and one long run are my set runs till I build my mileage then I add another easy run to my weekly routine. Best of luck!
  • philssis
    Options
    I can't believe you found 20 people to run with you! That's pretty awesome!

What if you have a raffle for prizes at the end. Every time you make a group run your name goes in the hat. At the end you pick 5 names for gifts, whatever your folks would get a charge out of. After your long runs, have a pot-luck brunch.

I started my half marathon training last night. I got the slow jog going on, but I made it 2 miles without stopping. Germantown Half-Marathon, here I come!

Best of luck to you and your team. I hope you all have a an exciting running adventure!
  • runnermel
    Options
    Hey! first of all, are you doing the Dallas Half that day?? I am planning on running that race also is why I ask. You are going to love it! My friends and I ran our first half marathon this November at the San Antonio Rock N Roll. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life! We followed the Hal Higdon 12 week training guide. Only we started it about a month early because we new that life would throw us a few curve balls and force us to miss a Saturday run here and there. Anyway, we loved it and it worked out great. Make sure you have great shoes and drink lots of water. You will be so glad that you did it! Our plan is to run the half in Dallas and then the full in November in San Antonio. (hopefully!) You get an upgraded medal if you do two Rock n Roll runs in a calendar year. I will run one, and only one, full marathon in my life, so I want the medal to be AMAZING! LOL

Few more tidbits: make sure you are also doing some weight training at least once a week and make sure you change your corral come race time to an accurate finish time because if not, you will be dodging people the entire run and it is not fun.

Good luck!!
  • LadyBarb
    LadyBarb Posts: 116
    Options
    I did my first half in 2007 at San Jose rock & roll. It was so much fun and a lot of hard work!! My event was in October and I started my training in May and I walk 6 days a week, but ont he weekends, I did my longer miles as you are now doing. The longest I had to walk for 11 miles one Saturday. Boy, was I sore and I learn to soak my body and rest for the remain of the day! When the day of the race came, I was ready. But there is nothing like crossing that finish line and seeing my husband smiling face telling that I did it! So go for it and know that you can do this and it's a great way to get your body in shape and build muscule tone. I planning to another one 2011 myself, the best to you!
    barb
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on running my 1st half marathon in Denver's Rock and Roll marathon in 2011. Just wanted to say good luck! I think it's awesome that you got a big team to sign up - I'm sure that will make it super fun! Our Rock and Roll isn't until mid-October, so I've signed up for a 10k on May 1st as a stepping stone and to keep me on track with my training.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hey! first of all, are you doing the Dallas Half that day?? I am planning on running that race also is why I ask.

Yes, the Dallas R&R. We all work in North Plano near the Tollway and 121 so most of our training will be up here. I am thinking we might go down to White Rock for some of the longer Saturday runs. I am looking forward to the training. I love running when it is cool out.

Good Luck in the Half!!!

--Carter
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    What if you have a raffle for prizes at the end. Every time you make a group run your name goes in the hat. At the end you pick 5 names for gifts, whatever your folks would get a charge out of. After your long runs, have a pot-luck brunch.

This is a great idea. Since we all work for the same company, it made me think that I should ask our company to provide some prizes. I am sure they could come up with some cool event tickets, gift cards, or some great stuff we could use as prizes.

Thanks for sharing this!!!

--Carter
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I would say also try to make it fun. Maybe getting in some other races with ppl and trail runs. Also get as many ppl to sign up or get a free app on the cell that tracks there runs. they will be able to see self improvement and will try harder. It makes it fun to track it.