workout schedule

Nancyjsp
Nancyjsp Posts: 29
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I'd love to know what kind of workout schedules work for different people. I just joined a gym and want to start with something realistic that will heed results. Thanks!

Replies

• I actually do all my workouts at home but I do a mix of cardio and weights. That way the muscle exchange will replace the fat getting leaner in shape. :) I do workouts like Turbo Jam and workouts from trainers like Jillian Michaels and Jackie Warner. I love it! I workout about 5-6 days a week for an hour at a time.
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    I do about 30-40 minutes of strength traing in the morning. One day I'll do upper body, next day lower body, 3 day core. I usually go back in the afternoon and do cardio for 30- 45 minutes. I heard somewhere that you should let you body rest at least an hour. Besides I like to go home and have some protein and get re-fueled for my next session.
  • Hi Nancy!

I like to workout in the AM before work two-three days a week. I find that if I don't do it before my crazy day gets started, I don't do it at all. Also, I aim for a certain number of minutes every week instead of workouts. This helps me because I can mix it up based on how my week is going: 2 workouts of 30 minutes each or 3 workouts of 20 minutes each, or if I know I really wont have time on other days: 1 hour long workout.

But, hey, its whatever works for you. I know people who would never workout in the AM. My girlfriend hits the gym after her 8 hour bartending shift at 2am!

Good luck on your journey!!
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Gym 3 times a week, heavy weights. Walk outside for an hour everyday. P90x doubles 6 days a week.
  • MTLumps
    MTLumps Posts: 82 Member
    I think you will get a wide range of answers. I am currently in school full time and working full time, so what works for me is early mornings. I work out to videos at home before I go to work so I can study in the evenings. I just fit a workout in on the weekends whenever I can. I shoot for 3 or 4 days a week, 30 to 45 minutes, and if I do more then I count that as a bonus. :smile:

You do have to "make an appointment" for you and stick to it like you would any other, but what works best for your schedule may be quite different from someone else. Don't give up if you get sidetracked by something, just keep pushing forward and you'll find what is most comfortable for you. :flowerforyou:
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    I'm addicted to classes so my work out schedule is around trying new classes and attending my favorite classes. Sometimes that's a 10am work out, other times it's a 7pm work out.

Charmagne
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    I am training for 2 half marathons so I run 3 or 4 times a week (easy run, tempo/speed run, long run, easy run #2), do yoga 1 or 2 times, do indoor spinning once, and lift twice (circuit). However, you must start slowly to avoid getting burnt out...I suggest pick one thing that you like (spinning, zumba, running, lifting, etc) and just commit to doing that 3 times a week for 20 mins. Do this for two or so until it feels REALLY easy then add (slowly) on. They say it takes 21 days for something to become a habit. You just want to avoid the overload as if you start off TOO strong with TOO many goals you wont stick with it. Think long-term life changing healthy here! Good luck!
  • Yep. It is all about what works best for you. :)
    Morning also works best for me because if I wait, I tend to not do it. I will go on a two mile run/walk or work out to my wii active, or the new nikewomen fitness thing. I think I will do more with the nike women thing because it works a lot of muscle groups in that 30 minutes.. I used to hike 3x a week, but now that I am homeschooling my kids, they all can't keep up with me so I just try to do as much as I can at home...
  • MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    I go to the gym 5 or 6 times a week...I alternate days doing just cardio usually around 45 or 50 min, and then the next day I'll do cardio for 30 and then strenght training. On the day I do strength training I'll focus on certain areas, like legs and shoulders, back and biceps, and tricepts and chest. I do abs everyday tho.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Lots of people have lots of different suggestions, but what you really need to figure is what will work for YOU? Some people do best going to the gym every day - it keeps them motivated. Other people would burn out on that and only go 3 days a week. Some people need to mix up their workouts every time they go so that they don't get bored (ex. treadmill one day, elliptical the next, stairs the next, etc.) other people like doing the same type of workout regularly. Some people love long workouts, others do best on 30 to 45 min workouts. Figure out what works for your motivational style and your schedule. Don't be afraid to try different things.

I highly recommend you regularly incorporate weight-lifting into your gym routine, since you are going to the gym. You will NOT bulk up - strength training is critical to anyone who is trying to truly be healthy - and muscle burns more than fat, so increased muscle will only be of benefit to you. If you don't know how use the machines, a gym employee should be able to give you some guidance/a basic tutorial. A good general rule is not to work the same muscles two days in a row to give them recovery time (so alternate between upper and lower body).
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    My normal routine is going to the gym M-F. I'm a stay at home mom and I try to get there sometime between the morning and early afternoon, whenever it works with naps and my husband's schedule, since my gym doesn't have child care. Right now my trainer has me on a routine where I do weights and cardio. M & Th I do upper body weights and 30-45 minutes of cardio. Tu & F I do legs and abs and 30-45 minutes of cardio. W I do 60 minutes of cardio. I'll stay on this routine for about 4 more weeks and then I'll go back to my old routine of circuit training plus 30 minutes of cardio 3 days and 60 minutes of cardio 2 days.

The gym really works for me because strength training is just as important as cardio.
  • Depends on your current fitness level and how much time you have available. My current commitment to myself is to hop on the elliptical for 45+ minutes 5 times a week. Tuesdays and Thursdays I do an upper body strength workout and Wednesday's I'll do lower body strength. Saturdays or Sundays I either do a bootcamp style full body workout or just pick a bunch of full body exercises and just nerd out at the gym for a few hours.

If you haven't exercised before, something that has been working for my coworker is to do 15 minutes on the elliptical trainer, 15 minutes on the bike, then 15 minutes on the treadmill every other day alternating with strength workout days on the precor or nautilus machines. He likes mixing up muscle usage as it doesn't seem to fatigue him as quickly.

Most gyms offer an introductory training session, however, know and stick to your limits. Every time I've had one of those free consultations they hurt me and it's not really productive in helping me establish a routine.

Sometimes a trip to the library is in order. There are several books out there that are written specifically with women's needs in mind and sometimes it's really cool to have the book with you while you're doing the workout just to double check that you're doing it right.

Remember, everyone is DIFFERENT and what works for other people might not feel right or fit into your active lifestyle. Never feel discouraged, just keep trying new things.
This discussion has been closed.