gym or at home?

Options
Where do you workout at? Me and my husband are debating a gym membership so I thought I would get a second opion. Which one do you workout at home or gym and how much have you lost?

Replies

• yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out at home. I can workout whenever I want that way-and no one will be there to watch me. Also, when I did belong to a gym-I always had an excuse not to go. This way...it is in my living room-so there is no excuse.
  • francescorkill
    Options
    I prefer home. I am more motivated to do it and it gives me a great way to burn stress with adding the pressure of knowing I have to drive somewhere else. My highest weight wast 196 and I have lost 30 lbs since that point. I have lost 7 since being on here.
  • jmorgangms
    Options
    It depends on your personality I guess. We used to pay for a membership at the YMCA...and when we didn't go, it literally ate me up inside that I was paying for something and I wasn't using it. But I hated going and seeing all those buff guys and gals walking around while pudgy me was trying to do a little cardio. I enjoy working out in my living room at my own pace and when it is convenient for me. My husband and my children do not judge me and many times join in!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I did p90x at home and i also have a gym membership and train for my marathons outside at the near-by park. From my assortment of environments, I get the best work outs (calories burned, goals accomplished, work-out highs) when others are there working out also. For this reason I recommend getting the gym membership. A good gym will have group fitness classes, cardio and strength machines, and lots of means of support. This is the best way to keep up the healthy lifestyle...having others to hold you accountable. At home you are more likely to slack off and not stick with it! Best of luck!
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym.....I think you need to ge tout of your comfrot zone to really go all out!!
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym myself. I find that at home there's too many other things to do and I just dont bother, where as at the gym there's only one reason to be there and so I get on with it.
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't really have time to fit actual gym going into my day, so I work out at home. It's hard enough to get up early as it is, without adding additional travel time to get there, park, walk in, get situated, and then get started.

That being said, there are many people who find excuses not to work out at home and find the "get your money's worth" approach motivating. Plus, it's a lot easier to get a wide range of activity at a gym, I expect, because you don't have to purchase and house the machines and such. I don't have room for a pool!
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    My boyfriend just bought a condo and we use the 3rd bedroom as our gym. We have a full body weight system plus he installed a TV with DVD player for workout videos. I split my time between home and the gym. There are certain things I dont have at home (elliptical, bike, fitness classes) that I enjoy at the gym, but for the days I cant get there, there is no excuse to not exercise in my own gym :-)
  • harleyquinn1504
    harleyquinn1504 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I work out a the gym down the street from my house. I'm a mother of two, and working out at home just wasn't working for me. I'd always have something I'd rather be doing than working out. Going to the gym helps me, bc they have a day care for the kids, and I do a lot of the fitness group classes, because it seems to be easier to work out for me, if Im in a group. Also, switching between the different classes and running on the treadmill, keeps things fresh and interesting for me. I havent really lost any weight, rather, I pick up a lot of muscle weight, so I can't gauge my results that way. I play roller derby, so working out just keeps adding more pounds to me and the other girls in my sport.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym until we have the money for a good home gym. Strength training is just as important as cardio and without a weight machine at home there are a lot of exercises we just can't do.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I prefer home. The process of getting ready to go to the gym, driving there, committing to stay there, and then driving home always overwhelms me. LOL! That's just me though. :)
  • Nancyjsp
    Options
    Well, I can only post my intentions here, as I am just starting out. I just joined Planet Fitness and am still designing my schedule. I attend a weekly yoga class and try to walk with walking poles. I am planning mainly to use the gym for strength training on the weekends and perhaps one weekend night. I tend to do better if I join something; I'm a huge procrastinator.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    At home......I would never go to the gym, it would be wasted money. I have a treadmill at home, so its great to be able to get on it whenever I want....I also have the Xbox kinect with EA sports active 2, that is a great workout!
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I do it at home...our gym (the only one within 30 miles) doesnt have a daycare so I probably would never get a workout in.plus having to "get ready" to go workout is just stupid but something I'd probably do. so I find it easier at home. you just have to be committed and make time for it and not let the house work be your excuse! i've lost 50 lbs exercising at home this year so i dont see the need for a pricey membership
  • ashleyinthestars
    ashleyinthestars Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have lost all of my weight at home, mostly walking and using Leslie Sansone & Jillian Michaels DVDs and biking when the weather is right for it. For Christmas, we got an XBOX360 with Kinect and Biggest Loser & Zumba Fitness games that I am excited to integrate into my routine. :happy:

I've always wanted a gym membership so I can take classes (Zumba, Pilates, etc!) and run on the treadmill or use the elliptical, but I just can't afford it yet.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I like a mixture of both :) I did do most of my workouts at home up until an aerobic studio opened near me. The price was right, lots of classes so I joined up. I now teach there (didn't see that coming lol).

I would see about doing a guest pass while you are considering :)
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    No gym in this small town... I work out at home. But even if one was available, I think its easier to workout at home. Especially in the winter, when its cold, and the roads aren't always great. My rule is, if I'm going to watch TV, I better be pedalling the bike at the same time.
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I worked out a lot at home doing Turbo Jam and Jillian's 30 Day Shred but I also have a gym membership. I use a trainer once in a while, it is good when killing time and if I know I will be lazy as soon as I get home, I try to go to the gym first. The great part about working out at home is there is no excuse, you can do it any time of the day.
  • tarapin
    tarapin Posts: 169
    Options
    I've lost 48 lbs and all at home. I started in July so in the nicer weather I walked, biked and jogged a lil bit. Now that it's colder, I've been doing my elliptical and just added Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Good luck to you guys!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!I do both.I use to feel intiminated at the y .I weighed 300 +lbs.My dr got me going into the gym,definetly out of my comfort zone,felt everyone was watching me.I`ve overcome the fear.I go and do my wt training and don`t think about or worry about others.i do what I have to do.I also love swimming,so I get motivated and get to the y to swim.Ive lost 98 1/2 lbs so far.
    I think whatever works for you is the key.
    Good luck!
    jane