Replies

• jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Exactly, otherwise I get overwhelmed.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"4", currently 17.5% body fat, but have been as low as 14%. My weight actually went up as my body fat dropped below16%, but in muscle. To get to 14-15%, I was doing an hour of cardio/day, then anywhere from 45min to 3 hrs of either weight training or martial arts/day, about 5 days a week. It sounds like you're at a good level & if you continue w/strength training, your weight may go up a bit, but it'll probably be in muscle, & body fat % will probably drop...if you keep doing what you're doing.

Each person has to determine their own goal, there’s no definite consensus for women’s body fat percentages, although from a medical SCREENING standpoint…

0-7%=Underweight/Unhealthy
    8-12%=Athlete Levels (Can be Unhealthy for Some Women, if symptoms develop go up a bit)
    12-18%=Athlete Levels
    19-24%=Healthy Normal
    25-29%=Overweight
    32%=Average American
    30-34%=Obese
    35-39%=Severe Obesity
    40-44%=Morbid Obesity
    45% & Up=Super Obesity

Again these are percentages for women. the photos a previous poster put up are very accurate (more accurate than another set I've seen previously).
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Stuck, how exactly? At 5'4" and 112 pounds, your BF is more towards 15 then 24%. The best methods for BF determining are calipers or a physician. Actually the water method tends to be the most accurate, but can be costly depending on by whom it is performed. Scales that give BF readings are notorious for being inaccurate. I have a 15 years-old Tanita scale. It just gives me an idea, but is not close to what my physician determines each year.

What is a healthy BF percentage? Rather subjective question. If you are an athletic woman, then 8-14 would be work. Good or healthy is from 15 - 22. Not perfect numbers, though. There are mounds of info on this in the Internet. Best to read some and determine for yourself.

If you still want to lower your BF, lower your carbohydrate intake. Simple.

1. It's hard to estimate BF% using scales and calipers. It's further inaccurate to make an estimate off of someone's height and weight without pictures.

2. 8-15% is a huge danger zone for women. 15% is athlete levels. Below 10-20% is beyond all essential fat and quite dangerous. Healthy range for women is ~15-30%.

3. Carbs have nothing to do with BF% unless there's a health issue (like insulin resistance).

To lose BF%, lift weights and eat at a small calorie deficit. Simple.

1. Calipers: I doubt she has a BMI of 35 or more.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-definition/how-to-measure-body-fatness/

2. Fat and Calipers: 8-15% for athletes, as I said is the norm. Like it or not. And Calipers are accurate.

http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/underbodycomp.html

3. Lose a small percentage of BF:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0904c.shtml

I've been doing this for 30 years. You? I maintain between 10 and 12% BF. During a cutting cycle, for 4- 6 weeks, lower carbs, increase fats and increase protein. Obviously, you're clueless. Pro bodybuilders, men and women, cut their carb intake down to 10% of their caloric intake in order to show more muscle definition, i.e., lose body fat. Do you think the pros continue to eat huge amounts of food and lift weights to knock off fat? Nope. They also have a high carb day once a week to keep leptin levels optimal.

info on cutting carbs (no study):

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/metabolism-massacre-7-ways-to-avoid-undermining-fat-loss.html

For someone who is 5'4" and 112lbs, she is far from obese. No, there is not photo, but one is not needed. 3-4 weeks of a low carb intake will ensure no longer term health effects and will be just so to lose a few BF percentage points.

Anything else?

You maintain at 10-12% body fat. You are also a man. For a woman to do that would be very unhealthy. Even according to your OWN sources, optimal healthy body fat levels for a woman are between 18% and 30%. Furthermore, your sources also say that skinfold thickness (aka calipers) are not very accurate and often give hard to replicate results.

From http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/underbodycomp.html:
    Normal body functions may be disrupted if body fat falls below the minimum level recommended for men (5%) and women (15%).

You are promoting goals for women that are not only unrealistic, but are actively dangerous. Please stop.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Stuck, how exactly? At 5'4" and 112 pounds, your BF is more towards 15 then 24%. The best methods for BF determining are calipers or a physician. Actually the water method tends to be the most accurate, but can be costly depending on by whom it is performed. Scales that give BF readings are notorious for being inaccurate. I have a 15 years-old Tanita scale. It just gives me an idea, but is not close to what my physician determines each year.

What is a healthy BF percentage? Rather subjective question. If you are an athletic woman, then 8-14 would be work. Good or healthy is from 15 - 22. Not perfect numbers, though. There are mounds of info on this in the Internet. Best to read some and determine for yourself.

At 8 - 15% she'd be closer to dead than healthy.

Anything from 18- 24% is pretty good for a female.

I SAID: 8-15 for athletes. Read what I wrote before you infer a wrong remark. Female athletes get thier BF down that low, Yes.

I think if OP was an athlete she'd not be on the internet asking what a healthy bf% was - and telling someone whose 112 lb that 8% bf is something to aim for seems foolish to me, sorry if I misunderstood.

Also, female athletes at that level (I assume you mean body builders?) will only be there short-term for competitions and do not sustain what is an unhealthy level year round.
  • Hondo_Man
    Hondo_Man Posts: 114 Member
    Options

1. It's hard to estimate BF% using scales and calipers. It's further inaccurate to make an estimate off of someone's height and weight without pictures.

2. 8-15% is a huge danger zone for women. 15% is athlete levels. Below 10-20% is beyond all essential fat and quite dangerous. Healthy range for women is ~15-30%.

3. Carbs have nothing to do with BF% unless there's a health issue (like insulin resistance).

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-definition/how-to-measure-body-fatness/

2. Fat and Calipers: 8-15% for athletes, as I said is the norm. Like it or not. And Calipers are accurate.

I've been doing this for 30 years. You? I maintain between 10 and 12% BF. During a cutting cycle, for 4- 6 weeks, lower carbs, increase fats and increase protein. Obviously, you're clueless. Pro bodybuilders, men and women, cut their carb intake down to 10% of their caloric intake in order to show more muscle definition, i.e., lose body fat. Do you think the pros continue to eat huge amounts of food and lift weights to knock off fat? Nope. They also have a high carb day once a week to keep leptin levels optimal.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/metabolism-massacre-7-ways-to-avoid-undermining-fat-loss.html

For someone who is 5'4" and 112lbs, she is far from obese. No, there is not photo, but one is not needed. 3-4 weeks of a low carb intake will ensure no longer term health effects and will be just so to lose a few BF percentage points.

Anything else?

You maintain at 10-12% body fat. You are also a man. For a woman to do that would be very unhealthy. Even according to your OWN sources, optimal healthy body fat levels for a woman are between 18% and 30%. Furthermore, your sources also say that skinfold thickness (aka calipers) are not very accurate and often give hard to replicate results.

From http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/underbodycomp.html:
    Normal body functions may be disrupted if body fat falls below the minimum level recommended for men (5%) and women (15%).

You are promoting goals for women that are not only unrealistic, but are actively dangerous. Please stop.

Another person with reading comprehension issues. Where did I suggest that a woman should have the same BF as I do? Where? I didn't. Seems you missed that. The OP mentioned in her original statement, that she found her BF at 15 and 24. The information I provided is accurate and is only information on WHO among women have certain amount of BF at her present "assumed" two states (15 and 24). She also asked what is considered healthy / good. If you what what the hell I wrote it states (once again) 15-22. I promoted nothing.

So by mentioning 15-22 is healthy, you find that dangerous? If so, then you're an idiot.

Also, re-read the article on calipers. Especially the second one. Scroll down to Skinfold Method. Now, I understand you have the skills to read... comprehension though...? Calipers are accurate if one knows what they are doing. It is inexpensive and quick. There are much, much more accurate methods, but they cost huge sums of money.

Enough.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Exactly, otherwise I get overwhelmed.

That said even though I act the same way and understand I still think TavistockToad is right about what the most efficient approach to the end result we want. Its just a question of which approach we can follow to get there.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Anything else?

Ah, because you are older, you must know more than me! I'll just sit back and wait until age allows me the knowledge to cite boybuilding.com as a scientific source! Nice ad hominem though!

Your dogged insistence that 8% is even an athletic bf% for women is... well... something.

Good luck, OP. Don't listen to this guy's well-meaning (?) advice. You are at a low weight; if you're still concerned with BF%, lifting weights and eating at a small (or even no) deficit is good for body recomp, which I assume you'll be shooting for.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You look 15% and Its unhealthy and I think you should stop losing more weight. Eat at maintenance if you want to maintain or maybe gain some weight SLOWLY and keep doing what your doing!
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    To keep dropping body fat lower calories or burn more calories off . I'd say you look 15% roughly
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    I'm cutting atm and have a carb refeed once a week up to maintenance calories