This is hopeless..... :(

Options
2»

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat back your exercise calories. MFP does overestimate a bit IMO, so eat back 2/3 or whatever you feel comfortable with eating back. I never eat back less than half, though I use a HRM, which isn't 100% accurate! either! but it's more conservative than MFP estimates.

This link, instead, may help you to set your calories right and help you understand why eating back exercise calories is important. It helped it click for me (well, an earlier version of it did).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Edited because my ticker makes it look like I haven't lost that much. I lost over 100 lbs after my first baby in 2011 and was super fit. I had medical issues during my second pregnancy that caused me not to be able to exercise, and my eating went to *kitten*, so I have a lot to lose all over again. My baby is almost 11 months old, but I'm breastfeeding this time, which, contrary to popular belief, can cause your body to not let go of weight, even if you're doing everything "right" (and eating too little --> body stops producing milk). Just a clarification that my ticker belies my knowledge of successful, healthy weight loss :)

Okay, so I see the post and I am in the process of calculating. I work in Finance and I love math, so I will definitely do this. But can you please explain why I should eat my calories back? Just the logic behind it, and not the math? I usually catch onto things pretty quickly, but this weight-loss stuff is hard.
    Slow weight loss is better. You have already set a deficit so you do t want exercise to produce an even better deficit. Don't think of exercise for weight loss but for health and a better body composition.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Can you please explain why I should eat my calories back? Just the logic behind it, and not the math? I usually catch onto things pretty quickly, but this weight-loss stuff is hard.
    As I said above, your deficit is built into your MFP calorie goal.

Did you read the Sexypants post? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat back your exercise calories. MFP does overestimate a bit IMO, so eat back 2/3 or whatever you feel comfortable with eating back. I never eat back less than half, though I use a HRM, which isn't 100% accurate! either! but it's more conservative than MFP estimates.

This link, instead, may help you to set your calories right and help you understand why eating back exercise calories is important. It helped it click for me (well, an earlier version of it did).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Edited because my ticker makes it look like I haven't lost that much. I lost over 100 lbs after my first baby in 2011 and was super fit. I had medical issues during my second pregnancy that caused me not to be able to exercise, and my eating went to *kitten*, so I have a lot to lose all over again. My baby is almost 11 months old, but I'm breastfeeding this time, which, contrary to popular belief, can cause your body to not let go of weight, even if you're doing everything "right" (and eating too little --> body stops producing milk). Just a clarification that my ticker belies my knowledge of successful, healthy weight loss :)

Okay, so I see the post and I am in the process of calculating. I work in Finance and I love math, so I will definitely do this. But can you please explain why I should eat my calories back? Just the logic behind it, and not the math? I usually catch onto things pretty quickly, but this weight-loss stuff is hard.

I'm sorry; I spoke too soon. Whether or not you eat them back actually depends on how you calculate your calorie goal. (Confused yet?)

For the examples below, let's assume you want to do TDEE -20% (as explained in the link) for maximum suggested speed of weight loss. (Scooby' site is a great place to calculate your TDEE, and I think that link I gave you has a link to it. If not, Google "Scooby TDEE calculator.")

Assume you calculate your TDEE at a sedentary or lightly active setting as 2500 calories, then your TDEE -20% is 2000 calories. So you should eat 2000 plus any exercise calories because 2000 already accounts for a pretty significant deficit per day (500 calories). Not eating them back may put your net below your BMR, which you shouldn't do. (Your BMR is what your body would use to maintain bodily functions if you were literally comatose. You need to eat over your BMR for your body to function properly - and we want you to lose weight healthily.)

As a second example, let's say you continue working out pretty regularly like you say you do, you might want to calculate your TDEE using a different setting, like "very active." In that case you would set your TDEE -20% and don't eat back exercise calories because your TDEE has already compensated for your regular workouts. Let's say your TDEE set at very active is 3000 calories, so less 20% is 2400. You'd eat 2400 calories regardless of your workout that day, unless you wanted to eat a little less on rest days (that's up to you, frankly).

Exercise allows you to eat more, it helps strengthen your body and retain muscle as you lose weight (or gain muscle, if you're eating enough for that), plus it's good for you, both physically and mentally.

Both methods of TDEE -20% are valid. You just need to recalculate regularly (every 5-10 lbs) because both your BMR and your TDEE will adjust downwards as you lose weight.

I hope that makes sense and helps!

PS - Former math teacher here, so this method makes me feel all good and number-y ;)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

It's fuel basically. You need food to live, repair and exercise.

So MFP tells you you need to eat 1700 a day to lose two pounds a week.
    You eat that but then exercise off another 600 calories, so you've now used up 600 calories of the food your body needed to fuel itself. That needs replacing. your body now only has 1100 calories worth of fuel to keep itself running, repair the damage caused by exercise etc.... That's not enough. So if you replace it the body has enough to keep itself going while keeping you under you calorie count enough for it to still use up fat cells and cause you to lose weight.
    Does that makes sense?
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    There are some good reads here.
    However, in the meantime I say keep doing what you are doing for a few more months!! Track everything you eat and your exercise. I have a feeling you will lose weight but if you stay the same weight, then you have collected some excellent data that will accurately tell you what YOU need to eat to maintain your weight! This is valuable information that will put you in control of your weight goal.
  • mwlyon
    mwlyon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you eating too much sodium? I traveled over a weekend and at way over my sodium limit and gained a pound, after much exercise and food monitoring. A personal trainer told me to limit my sodium over the next day, after doing so over a day and a half, I lost 4 lbs. Not sure if this is what your experience is, but eating too much sodium was making me retain water weight. FYI: It is difficult to keep sodium in check if eating pre-packaged foods, or in restaurants though.
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    b
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    There are some good reads here.
    However, in the meantime I say keep doing what you are doing for a few more months!! Track everything you eat and your exercise. I have a feeling you will lose weight but if you stay the same weight, then you have collected some excellent data that will accurately tell you what YOU need to eat to maintain your weight! This is valuable information that will put you in control of your weight goal.

I agree!

Your progress is wonderful. Just keep going.

Also, good on you for starting strength training, you won't regret it.
  • rvssnn
    rvssnn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. It is amazing to see a community of people who help each other so much. You all have give me a lot of hope. I will definitely not give up, and not give so much importance to the scale. I am really thankful, I really appreciate the advice and suggestions.
  • rvssnn
    Options
    Are you eating too much sodium? I traveled over a weekend and at way over my sodium limit and gained a pound, after much exercise and food monitoring. A personal trainer told me to limit my sodium over the next day, after doing so over a day and a half, I lost 4 lbs. Not sure if this is what your experience is, but eating too much sodium was making me retain water weight. FYI: It is difficult to keep sodium in check if eating pre-packaged foods, or in restaurants though.

I think that my sodium levels are good. I have made a point of cooking at home and limiting the amount of salt in foods. I know that salt makes you retain water, and that may be part of the problem. A couple of people posted that I may have a lot of water weight that hasn't been lost yet. Thank you for pointing that out. I have been recording my food pretty consistently, and I am meeting my daily target for sodium. Maybe I should reduce my sodium intake and see what happens.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    This is confusing to me. Should I be eating back the calories that lose during the exercise? TBH 1700 is a lot. I feel like I am just eating throughout the day, which of course is good, but sometimes I fee like I am eating too much. I also think that MFP over exaggerates how much you lose when exercising. I mean I go hard during my weight training and Zumba, but it must be closer to 600 calories vs. the 900 it says. I am reading the post that you linked, but I am not understanding it.

Eat half of your workout cals back...that allows for any overestimation
  • rvssnn
    Options
    This is confusing to me. Should I be eating back the calories that lose during the exercise? TBH 1700 is a lot. I feel like I am just eating throughout the day, which of course is good, but sometimes I fee like I am eating too much. I also think that MFP over exaggerates how much you lose when exercising. I mean I go hard during my weight training and Zumba, but it must be closer to 600 calories vs. the 900 it says. I am reading the post that you linked, but I am not understanding it.

Eat half of your workout cals back...that allows for any overestimation

Will do. I think that is the best route for me. Thank you!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Maybe, just maybe, the FOOD matters.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options

It may seem like a lot, but it isn't. I'm eating 1730 calories a day, along with exercise calories (not all, because you're correct, the estimations are off a lot). You just have to eat in moderation.
  • stephaniesheremet
    Options
    You seem to be doing really good already so first of all give yourself some credit - its easy to look at whats wrong but redirect your focus. Your clearly commited to this lifetsyle and the stress of it can affect you and your weight. Muscle does weigh more then fat as well.

Try watching "Hungry for Change" its a very powerful documentry and it really inspired me to focus on doing this to be a healther person.

Keep it up and remember its a process ;)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    This is such a nice thing to say. I really appreciate it. You are right, I do see the inches coming off, but I have also read that you see weight loss in at least 3 weeks, which makes me believe I am doing something wrong. And maybe you are right, I need to be patient. I won't stop working out, because it is really fun. I used to play tennis in high school, and ran track. I can workout hard. But I lost that once I started college and work. I read a lot of sources, but sometimes these sources conflict one another. It is hard to know what is the truth and what is myth.

If you haven't read the article posted in a previous response from bodyrecomposition.com. A great group for information is the Eat, Train, Progress group, they have helped a lot of people get over slumps in weight loss as well. Loads of info on that. Yes, there is a lot of conflicting info and it is difficult to wade through at times. For the most part, if it seems too good to be true, it is. Much of this process is a bunch of trial and error and will take more than 6 weeks to dial in. Pain in the butt to do it, but this is a long term process and the gains for giving this some time are worth it.
  • Astronomically_Im_Tiny
    Options
    I do not know your lifestyle, so correct me if I am wrong, but either way it is still good information. If there are any alternate views on the information, please share with me.

Your body is always trying to establish equilibrium. You have a routine, and your body knows it. It doesn't want to either lose pounds or gain, so it conforms to your schedule. If you stay in routine, and are anywhere close to your TDEE in caloric intake, you wont lose anything.

Change it up. Workout in the mornings instead of evenings, or vice versa. instead of going on the elliptical, go to a spin class. Instead of lifting on the same two days every week, switch it up every other week. Instead of running on a flat treadmill, walk on an uphill treadmill.

If you change up your physical routine every once in a while, the body will have to change how it uses nutrients. The food is irrelevant (assuming you arent eating 2000 calories worth of hohos).

If anyone wants to add to that, I could use the info as well. I do HIIT on occasion, and I do not have a routine.

P.S.--think of your hormones. Your body knows when you want to go to sleep, so it starts to develop melotonin in the evening, which is the hormone that puts you to sleep. When you wake up, your melotonin levels are almost nil, and stay that way til dinner. Sometimes, if you eat a heavy lunch (or a lighter lunch), your body gets confused because it thinks it is dinner, and that is your "2:30 feeling." So to compare in an analogy, if you work out when the body doesn't expect it, and you workout the muscles that it doesn't expect you to work out, you will have a better chance at losing weight because it has to work harder. You fooled it into thinking that you weren't going to work out.That is how I understand the plateau.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I see the inches coming off, but my weight hasn't changed.

Who cares about the weight then?! Seriously. Scales are ridiculously poor indicators of health. For example:

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

I know sites like this one with their weight loss "tickers" make you feel like you haven't accomplished anything if you haven't lost weight, but that is simply not true. Nobody admires a great looking body on the beach and thinks "I wonder what the scale says when she steps on it?"