Evaluate Me?

Options
2»

Replies

• Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. The starting can always be the hardest. One foot in front of the other. But if you are like many of us you will not regret it. As a number have people have said Ido not see yogurt and cheese filling you up, which is part of why you are snacking as you seem to indicate. I might suggest looking into small meals that have turkey or chicken in them, maybe produce a daily menu for the fridge if you lose track easily. Now a lot of this is trial an error, and it is not always easy, I tend to intake too much soda for instance, but is am trying. And paying attention to what you eat is a big start.
  • flossy0965
    Options
    Hi all, this is my first day and I've blown it!...didn't realizes how many calories I was eating so was totally shocked when I log my food and drink for the day to find I had gone wayyyyyyyyyyyy over what I should be having. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
  • thebeachrunner
    Options
    Hello, and welcome to MFP. It's great that you are getting started and already reaching out to others for advice.

After looking through your entry, it looks like most of your caloric intake is coming from snacks, rather than from your meals, and most of it is coming from dairy. Dairy is okay in moderation, but with little fiber and the high amount of saturated fat found in cheese, the calories and saturated fat content add up, without providing much satiety. I try limiting your dairy intake to 2-3 servings/day. I actually like greek yogurt because it is has a creamier consistency and fills me up faster. Also, I would recommend making sure that your meals have good sources of carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats in every meal to help keep you from feeling hungry and including fiber-rich foods will keep you satisfied longer and are good for your health (good sources are fruits, vegetables and whole grains and legumes).

Another reason why you are probably so hungry is that you are not getting enough calories in the morning. After going an entire night without food, your body needs energy to start the day, so a good breakfast will get your metabolism going so that you burn more calories throughout the day and help to reduce your appetite. I would also try to reduce the amount of processed foods, and try to get most of your energy from whole foods, which tend to be nutrient dense and have less calories, so you can eat more food.

As for your caloric intake level, this is probably too low, and could be another reason why you are so hungry. Especially if you are exercising, it is important to make sure that you are not eating less calories than your body need to properly be able to function. Having too low of a caloric intake can actually slow down your metabolism, making it harder to lose weight. We may think that the less calories we eat, the more weight we will lose, but when the body does not have enough fuel, it goes into starvation mode and burns less calories to try to preserve them to carry out basic metabolic processes in the body.

Hopefully some of these suggestions have helped. Remember to be kind to your body, this does not have to be a miserable experience where you feel like you have to deprive yourself to try to lose weight. This can be a great chance to discover new food that is healthy and delicious and enjoy the process of becoming a more healthy you. I wish you all the best and, once again, commend you for reaching out to others for support.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If you need the meals ready-cooked, is it possible to cook a big batches of food (like brown rice or a lot of broccoli etc.) and have it in the fridge?
  • Gizzy1976
    Gizzy1976 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Try eating porridge for breakfast, it keeps me full till lunchtime and is very good for you. X
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why you are feeling hungry: You are eating too few calories for your size - losing 1 pound per week was a better plan - and you don't get enough fiber, vitamins and minerals - you need to get more variation in your diet. Steer away from processed foods, especially diet food, as they are manufactured to make you more hungry! Sounds backwards, but it's true. If you don't feel safe using the stove, you don't have to, you can eat a lot of things that don't need heating. Fruits and vegetables, nuts, nut butters, oatmeal, milk, bread, sliced meat and fish, hard boiled eggs, for instance.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for the quick answers! About the Swiss Cheese: I really TRY to let it be just a snack, but I very quickly lose track and before you know it, I've eaten the whole package! :sad: :wink:

I will definitely look at some other folks' diaries and see what I can use for myself.

Thanks again. I'm glad I found this place!

Bill

I understand about swiss cheese and yogurt. I could live on it! :)
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If you need the meals ready-cooked, is it possible to cook a big batches of food (like brown rice or a lot of broccoli etc.) and have it in the fridge?

Be careful with rice. Rice, should be eaten freshly cooked. As for veg, it's better to freeze, as it keeps for longer. I don't even use a fridge, as everything I cook, prepare, is eaten instantly.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Welcome Bill! When I saw you were in early stages of Alzheimer's, my first thought was a Low Carb High Fat diet, as recent studies have shown this to be very helpful in slowing the progression. Then I looked at your diary and saw that you were indeed following that diet already. I assume that is intentional?

You are doing well to stay away from sugars and grains as much as possible, but don't be afraid to add fresh veggies to your diet to help bulk up your meals and add some much needed fiber. Especially with the level of cheese you are eating!

Chef salads with cheese, boiled eggs, ham, chicken, bacon, sunflower seeds, avocado, etc will be great meals for you that don't have to be cooked on the stove or in the oven. Use olive oil dressings as well. The healthy fats in olives, olive oil, avocados, seeds, nuts, and even egg yolks are all very good for brain function and healing.

Best wishes for you for better health.
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    since you need easier things while your wife is at work maybe get her to help with food prep for you to make it easier. boil up a dozen eggs at a time so they are on hand great protein source, cut raw veggies kept in container such as broccoli and carrots, cans of tuna or lunch meat, fruit- banana and apples are my favorite dipped in vanilla greek yogurt. overnight oatmeal can be kept for a day or two.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Hi Bill,

Another idea that may work for you would be if you could have your wife cook bacon for you ahead of time, as well as some scrambled eggs, then pkg it in the refrigerator so all you need to do is microwave it for a few seconds. This would enable you to have a hot breakfast that would be more filling than yogurt, which you could save for your morning snack.

Kathy
  • arthurcraig391
    Options
    Hello Debbie,

You're right. There's a book (which I can't mention here, according to the rules) with all kinds of recipes for the brain, and I'm reading it now, but I am hoping to combine diet with exercise to slow down the progression. I have been in Stage IV for 2 years now, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Everybody: As y'all can see, I can't stop with the yogurt! It's just so good and I must be the most regular guy on the planet, but if it's bad for me then so be it. I call it my "mandatory option". lol! I wish they sold it in 55 gallon drums.

One thing I can already see is how much sodium I'm eating! Wow! I'm trying to control that as well as the overall weight, but it pops up just about everywhere! I've stopped eating Vienna sausages (the chicken kind) because it's loaded with it.

Last night I had a little bit of shredded cheddar cheese which I stuck in the microwave, and that got me through the night. "Whatever Gets You Through The Night", right? In this case it worked out for me.

I'm going to pick up some porridge, and I'll give it a shot. That's the stuff from Goldilocks, right? I always thought Cream of Wheat was the same thing?

And..... I know you all advised me otherwise, but I'd like to continue the 2 lbs a week thing for a few more days. I know that according to the charts I'm not eating enough, but I am hoping that the deficit will help me in the long run. If not, I WILL go back to 1 lb a week.

With the Alzheimer's I feel like I need all the help I can get and I feel like I have some friends here who want to see me succeed, so don't think I'm not "listening" to you. Give me a chance to see for myself that I'm making a mistake and I promise to admit to it.

Thanks for looking out for me. It's appreciated more than I can express.

Bill
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I would perhaps stop waiting until the clock strikes 12 to eat the next days allotted calories.
    I guess doing it daily would mean its all the same, but waking up in the morning with a few hundred calories already spent would bug me. Eat supper at a normal time if your schedule allows it, maybe a snack later on, but stop waiting until midnight for more.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    A little trick I used when first starting was to log my food before I ate it. Then when I saw how bad it would be ( I am a cheese freak too) it would stop me and help me make a better decision.

Try to sit down and plan out a weeks menu and then shop for those meals and healthy snacks and don't buy what isn't on your menu.

Also another tip, if you can afford it.... There was a food drive in my area going on when I started so I cleaned out some of the bad stuff in my pantry and donated it!

I recently worked at a college in NY where one of the psychology professors I worked for was doing awesome research on cognitive function in the elderly when the exercised. You could try and google some results on Cay Anderson-Hanley, union college cyber cycle study. CNN covered it! Very promising so your efforts are well worth it!

Good luck!
    interesting add!
  • suzreen
    suzreen Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    That seems like good advice! I just started and put in the .5 lb a week, and I'm darn hungry with that. I think I would just fail if I tried to do any more. As it is, i think I must have been taking in way more calories than what it recommends.