Does running make YOU hungrier?

Options
I'm new to running (jogging, actually- C25K Week 2), and do so for about 30 minutes about twicer per week. I do pretty intense cardio for 60 minutes at least four times per week. I've noticed that I'm considerably hungrier on run days than I am any other day. Has anyone else experienced this? It sucks because, not only is the calorie burn lower, but the workout is half as long :/

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I notice it more when compared to cycling, but nothing has made me as hungry as lifting...
    I don't think I noticed any difference when doing c25k though...
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It actually kills my appetite. It's a struggle to eat anything when my mileage climbs above 15. What makes me hungry is the combination of running, heavy lifting, and HIIT.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The same as any other cardio for me.

And these days half of it is that I know I can have something nice to eat if I've done a decent cardio session :).
  • mooncath
    mooncath Posts: 31
    Options
    The only exercising that makes me truly ravenous is swimming. Other exercises make me tired and thirsty, and I don't feel hungry for another few hours.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The only exercising that makes me truly ravenous is swimming. Other exercises make me tired and thirsty, and I don't feel hungry for another few hours.

swimming for sure makes me ravenous! but the other cardios or weights-leave me wanting a cold drink of water AND a hot coffee at the same time. Often I think the cold water cools me off too much and then I crave a coffee to warm me back up!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    cm-25012-050710a5492cb6_zps5ddabf40.gif

:laugh:

It does get better though-- the first 3 weeks or so I was starving all the time. Now I'm only starving when I up my mileage.
  • sahi2lynn
    sahi2lynn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have the hungries after certain workouts too. I've been experimenting. Sometimes a high protein drink will help. The other day I had a small meal with beef and a potato. I was still hungry 90 minutes later so I had another portion and was finally comfortable. I still lost weight this week, so I guess my body was telling me the truth. I needed a little more food.
  • jclist1
    jclist1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You get used to it. When I started getting my endurance up to a couple miles, I found myself seeming to be more hungry than usual. Now that I am running 50+ miles a week, I don't really notice any difference. Keep with it. It gets better!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I R always hungry.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Yes. Ever since I began running seriously I am ever hungry.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I do other highly aerobic activities like racquetball and tennis.

After a long racquetball session, I am seriously craving sugar. Generally all I can think about when I'm driving home is a milkshake or candy bar.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio on the elliptical and find that it suppresses my appetite for an hour or two most of the time. I find I feel hungry if my blood glucose gets low. This is usually the consequence of eating high carb (causing insulin spike) followed by exercise.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Training for this marathon has made me hungry all the time! I am running 30+ mile weeks and am eating everything! Especially the day after my long runs!