What's the best SMALL change you've made?

Options

Replies

• MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Not having fast food all the time. I've had it twice in the 2 months I've started MFP and I always make sure it fits in my calories. Also no soda. Just empty unnecessary calories. Cutting those out I sometimes feel like I HAVE to eat so I don't have such a huge deficit
  • knutsk
    knutsk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Eating the same breakfast and lunch everyday.
    Both meals are nutrient-heavy, comparatively low-cal, and delicious. It makes my life so much easier not to have to worry about 40% of my daily calories, and also limits the willpower I have to use choosing what to eat in a day.
    I still get to choose my snacks and make a great dinner, which wouldn't be as pleasant if I had to focus on breakfast and lunch as well.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    My mind
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Eating the same breakfast and lunch everyday.
    Both meals are nutrient-heavy, comparatively low-cal, and delicious. It makes my life so much easier not to have to worry about 40% of my daily calories, and also limits the willpower I have to use choosing what to eat in a day.
    I still get to choose my snacks and make a great dinner, which wouldn't be as pleasant if I had to focus on breakfast and lunch as well.

Although I do not eat the SAME thing every day, I can totally relate to this. Especially during the week days but even on the weekends to some extent, I have developed a mini menu of go-to meals for breakfast (around 200 cal) and lunch (around 400-500 cal) that I switch between and they help me to meet my calorie and macro goals and then have more freedom in what I can eat at dinnertime. That helps so much!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Cooking and taking my lunch to work, I was surprised at how much I enjoy eating my own cooked food!
  • zaellany
    zaellany Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The best change I made (which may seem small to some, and large to others) was to stop thinking about food as either "allowed" or "not allowed," and realizing I really can eat anything I want as long as I plan for it and log it. I am losing weight and actually eating more chocolate and ice cream (in small portions) than I was before. This is the only eating plan I have ever been on where I haven't felt like I was missing out on something, and felt cranky about it.

One other good change was that my efforts to get out every day and walk or bicycle have rubbed off on my son and my husband, who now come with me almost every day. My son is not overweight, but being more active has been really good for him, and I feel like he is learning good habits.
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    1) Coffee only. Lattes and such will probably be more like a monthly treat
    2) While I do not weigh all my ingredient yet, I am slowly working my way to that..makes a difference!
    3) I eat small meals/snacks often!
    4) I love going out to eat on the weekends, frequency and what I order/how much I eat are changing slowly.
  • anallydiaz
    anallydiaz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Eating less. I used to fill my plate and eat it all. I have learned a lot about portion control and it feels good to know when I am full and not feeling like a pig after a meal.
  • alisonmarytuck
    alisonmarytuck Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Cutting my portions of everything I eat except salads, fruit and vegetables!! Those portions tend to be bigger
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I cut out sodas and juices, drinking 95% water. I've also severely restricted my pasta and rice consumption. It's made a huge difference
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've cut out my weekly take away, now I treat myself to a nice piece of fish or meat and make a nice healthy meal with it, it's much nicer than the takeaways I was having, I really feel like I'm having a treat.
    My second change is simply to reduce my portion size, I eat what I like just less of it, I don't feel deprived of my favourite foods then.
  • sikanna
    sikanna Posts: 6
    Options
    Measuring food.
    It was such a small step, but it made a big difference for me.
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Making an effort to walk/exercise for at least 30 minutes each day, usually at least 60 minutes. Might seem small to most, but I have been VERY sedentary for a long time and just in the last week, I can feel the difference its making in my health.

I found an app (iphone/itouch) called 'Human'. It tracks how much you move each day with the goal being to 'reach your daily 30'. It's a very simple app, beautiful background pics. Each day you 'reach your daily 30' you move up a level and the pics change with the level. It also has a week's worth of circles at the bottom that turn orange for 30 min/day; blue for 60 min/day; yellow for 90 min/day and so on. It runs in the background, will send you a notification when you've met your 'daily' goals. No step tracking or cals or anything, just movement. It's very simple but I find very effective .... makes me want to get up and move more to ensure I get those circles filled. A very pretty app, and it's free.
  • jenabugg
    jenabugg Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Cut out all fake sugar and diet food.
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Cutting back on sugar has got to be the best thing anyone can do. I am GOBS less tired and cranky and just realized the other day that I no longer need that 3pm cup of coffee. Of course when I DO have mah coffee you bet I still put in 2tspn of sugar and 1/4 cup whole milk. :drinker:
  • RayBlueboy
    Options
    Reducing the food I eat between meals.
  • x_Samtastic
    x_Samtastic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The best small change for me was cutting out soda and swapping it for plenty of water. Granted, I still will allow myself to get a soda if I'm out to eat with family or friends, but I'm finding that I prefer water in these instances too! Really feel great about it :)
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Cutting out most unnecessary sugars. I still bake with sugar, maybe once a month, and eat ice cream, maybe once or twice a week, but on a day to day basis I don't add sugar to anything. I used to drink coffee or tea LOADED with sugars, and now I don't add anything except a bit of honey to my tea.

Eating more fresh fruit. I find this really helps to control my sugar cravings. There is a huge difference on days I don't get in my fresh fruit and days I do.

Green smoothies. When I feel like I've eaten too much junk and have that yucky bloated feeling, or just when I'm feeling especially run down and/or stressed I'll skip a meal for a green smoothie or two and a big pitcher of fresh mint and fresh orange/lemon/lime/whatever slices. I'm not sure if its the all the nutrients or just the fact I'm getting a ton of extra water into my body, but I always feel better afterwards.

Not eating if I'm not hungry. Previously I would always eat at meal times even if I wasn't hungry. Now this is only true for breakfast because I know if I don't eat I'll be starving by 10am. I'm fine just sitting down for a meal with the family only sipping on some water or tea.

The last two and cutting back on sugar are more recent changes and have really helped me. I'm pregnant and for a few weeks was packing on the pounds, but especially using the last two my weight gain has slowed waaaay down to a much more appropriate amount.
  • Lilenatalem
    Lilenatalem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    No carbs after lunch. I cannot stress how EASY this was. Instead of rice/potatoes etc at dinner I eat 2 veggies at dinner. I lost 8 lbs just with this one change when I first started on this journey. I also limit my carbs. I would give them up but damnit I like a piece of wheat toast with my sunny side up eggs! =D

Also I drink ALOT of water. =p But I'm sure we all do.
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Sounds strange, but eating more often.
    I used to get into the habit of 2-3 meals a day plus hower many coffee/teas I can drink. Now I try to mke sure I have a mid morning snack like a piece of fruit or yoghurt, and an afternoon snack if I need it.
    Basically I make sure I don't get ravenous and make bad, desperate choices.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!